Search results

1. A

Kim Jong-Il dead

I guess he's not ronery anymore. Wonder who will be next and if it will have any affect on North Korea's rouge state status? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16239693
  2. A

Getting back in the game - a tale of hunting down a bike for me and the wife.

So, after 4 1/2 years of not actually owning a mountain bike, a lack of anywhere legitimate to ride my bmx and want of a bike for general transport around the neighborhood and to the pub led me back to looking at getting back in. Boy gave things changed since 2006. All mountain? slopestyle? Do...
  3. A

A science nerd thread.

So, I’d been thinking about making a thread for my own and other’s general science nerdlingering, then I got snowed under at work (literally and figuratively) and it didn’t happen. Now I’m procrastinating so it happened. Feel free to add any science nerd content/musing/rantings you want...
  4. A

Tyrannosaurus found in Victora.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/327/5973/1613 "Tyrannosaurids monopolized the apex predator niche in latest Cretaceous Laurasia. Unfortunately, the preceding 100-million-year tyrannosauroid lineage is poorly documented, and its fossil record is restricted to the northern...
  5. A

Yet another what computer thread

So, I finally got approval to buy a computer from a provider other than my work's government contracted one who wanted to flog a 1.6gb Acer with 1 gb RAM and a 160 gig HDD for $1800. So I'm most likely pop into MSY in the next few days and pick up a machine. Has to be a notebook due to moving...
  6. A

Computer question: PDF's

So, I'm attempting to fill out a grant application - the ONLY form provided is a write protected PDF (I already asked fro an editable one or a word doc and got told there wasn't one.). I coped and pasted the text from the form into a word .doc and filled it out. Only now they want the form...
  7. A

Homeopathy

Nothing insults my intellect quite as much as homeopathy. My flatmate just got back form an $80 visit to a homeopath with a vial of $20 water. Which is supposed to treat hayfever. Ergh. Reading this made me feel better though...
  8. A

Getting back into commuting

So, I've now been given a clean bill of health after being hit by a car on the way to work. Ended up with a fractured eye socket, but CT scans are all normal and my brain function is all normal again (well as normal as it ever was). Thing is, every morning I seem to find an excuse to catch...
  9. A

magpie research

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHreVKgOT4
  10. A

FOUND T1 Barcode BMX

I was riding to work this morning and I got cleaned up by a hit and run driver in a hiace van. I'm relatively ok, reasonable concussion and a few stitches in my eyebrow (I was wearing a protec, but the foam one). My recollection of the accident is pretty vauge, however it happened on Torrens...
  11. A

Another work trip...

So I ran my first work trip. Been on others, but this was the first one I actually organised myself and took other people on. The idea was, in a particular gorge, namely Terrapinna gorge in a remote area of the Northern Fliners ranges in 1978, a Dingo fence surveyor caught and preserved a...
  12. A

Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog is the greatest director ever!)

Ok, so I watched the movie and it was a bit odd. Then I read about the making. Inspired by a story of an 1890's rubber baron in Iquitos, Brazil, who dismantled a 30 ton river boat and hauled it over a mountain pass isthums to another river. In 1982 director Werner Herzog decided to recreate...
  13. A

I have jar of gyspy tears to protect me from AIDS - visiting the US.

So, My partner and I have a job interview for a joint appointment at the University of Michigan starting in 2010. As such, they're flying us over in December and it'll be my first time in the US. We will be spending about a month in Ann Arbor, visitnig the University of Michigan. Looking...
  14. A

Cell Roadie? - a review

So, a few weeks ago a would be bike thief kicked in the rear wheel of my fixie while it was locked up at uni. Given that I'm stupid enough to be running a Mavic Eclipse wheelset, I was a bit upset. I decided to buy both a cheapish commuter that would be more enjoyable to pedal along the...
  15. A

What an awesome idea for a pet.... not!

So, some whack job couple on the gold coast want to import domestic cats crossed with wild African servals... a designer cat callled the African Savannah Cat, coming in at twice the size of your average domestic cat...
  16. A

Extinction - do you care?

Just tonight I was watching a Doco on wildlife in China and was depressed by the visual reality of what I already knew - almost all the large, native vertebrates in China are pretty much stuffed, and with the economic and continued population growth in China pushing the "luxury" of preserving...
  17. A

I guess smart was never part of the job criteria

Newsflash! Baywatch Star is an idiot! http://cbs13.com/local/Baywatch.Placerville.Theft.2.716817.html
  18. A

Skullboy interview

http://www.bmezine.com/news/guest/20080318.html Return of Skullboy... At first, I was really disappointed in the interview, he comes off not caring about anything, boring and a bit of a douche. If you read the modblog post, so do a lot of modification type people. After a bit of...
  19. A

Vert ramps...

So, I just moved to Adelaide, and you guys have been holding out on the rest of Australia. The parks here are the best I've ever ridden and I live a 5-10min ride from West Beach... which brings me to my point, my experience on huge proper vert ramps is pretty minimal. I was mucking around on...
  20. A

I New in Town.

So, I moved to Adelaide on Monday. I could only bring the BMX with me, but it seems you guys have a fair few awesome parks. My office is at the SA museum, so the city park is a few hundred metres from work and West Beach is about 3.5km from where I'm staying with a colleauge for a few...