Recent content by niftydog

1. niftydog

Bubble in tread..wtf..??

My last Crossmark was absolutely riddled with bubbles like this (maybe 20 or more) when I finally caved in and changed the tire. It was so bad you could feel the wobble when riding smooth surfaces! I'd agree that it's the Stans causing it, but if you ride (hard!) enough you'll wear the tire out...
  2. niftydog

The stupid questions thread.

Shitloads of wire and a continuous welding device. They just string all the wire into the mesh shape and pass it through two massive rollers with a current flowing between them. As the joins in the wire pass through the rollers they are lightly welded together. Same way they make galvanised mesh...
  3. niftydog

What do you guys use to protect New Cranks from Shoe Rub

Frameskin do sets for cranks too. While you're at it, get some framewrap - simply awesome.
  4. niftydog

Relativity of looks syndrome.

It is relative, but only because the '9' girl subconsciously knows she has the ability (looks) to catch a '9' boy so she intuitively ignores all the '5' boys... unless they sit funny because of the fatness of their wallets. How you'd create such a scale is beyond me - a lot of what the media...
  5. niftydog

Snapped Shock Mount Bolt - How to fix?

Sounds like a job for an easyout.
  6. niftydog

Design my room layout!

Crazy room - Not even enough space for the obligatory queen bed! I'd advise you to download yourself a copy of Google Sketchup - at least you can then draw it to scale. Yes, overkill for making a plan view, but it's good fun to play with and you might come out with a 3D render of the layout...
  7. niftydog

intresting things in good mtb movies.

You'd be amazed where you can get using arborist tree climbing techniques. You just need big balls, heaps of skill, strength, stamina and all the gear! I'd also imagine they'd use robotic cameras these days too.
  8. niftydog

how much rotor rub if any is normal?

A small amount of rotor rub is inevitable. It is also often temporary, and will come and go from one minute to the next. It is often a matter of a fraction of a millimetre - so lets think about what might cause a fraction of a millimetre discrepancy: thermal effects on the rotor thermal...
  9. niftydog

Elixir 3s.

Either one, or even both would be no reason not to buy them. Probably hundreds of thousands of people have enjoyed trouble free braking from their Avids but for some reason they cop a lot of misguided scorn on forums. It must be fashionable.
  10. niftydog

Stromlo Closed Too

10chars...
  11. niftydog

TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

That's crazy talk! ;) I haven't had a single flat since going tubeless (touches wood) about 6 months ago and the sealant lasted well until about a week before xmas. Compared to changing a flat even once a fortnight that's a massive improvement.
  12. niftydog

cannondale f7 BB

170mm is the length of the crank arms and doesn't tell you anything about BB fit. Sounds to me like you'd be best to seek some advice from your LBS.
  13. niftydog

Where to Ride Canberra in the Wet

Thanks for the insight, astroboy and FR drew. Seems like the arrangements re. contractors and management has a few flaws. Is a revised management strategy a likelihood? Anyone know? Clearly they didn't properly assess how much work was required, and didn't see the boom in popularity coming...
  14. niftydog

cannondale f7 BB

They appear to be a standard 68mm / 73mm English thread, square taper, though I'm just going by what's on Cannondale and FSA websites.
  15. niftydog

TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

You could try searching on this topic as there are as many opinions about this as there are users. I'm going with at most 6 months, though you should probably be topping it up after 3. Ideally you remove the old stuff or else you end up dragging extra rotating weight around for no reason.