Elixir 3s.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Resin pads will still pull you to a stand still though metallic/sintered pads typically work better in adverse conditions and provide a little more bite at the expense of *minimal* modulation and a bit more noise.

Having never used any of the Elixir Series of brakes, I can't comment on how they perform but if there is minimal difference between the 3 and 5, go the 3 and upgrade the pads (it will depend on how much OE pads cost however...)

On a side note, I've been trying out some of the pads offed by Disco Brakes on recommendation from this forum - been using them without any dramas for a month and a bit now in both Shimano and Hayes systems. If you're after cheap pads that offer good performance, maybe give them a go.

Good luck!

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Yeah thanks again Ango! Might give those pads a go when my current ones wear down - the actually sound alright. And my mate runs Elixir 5s so I know a bit about what I want, but in my opinion, theyre rather touchy and almost to powerful which is something I dont exactly like. But theyre still fairly new so will observe!

stp_hero

Likes Dirt
i have a elixir 3 and i must say it impressed me alot. i wasnt expecting much as i had a elixir r before hand, but i was amazed. had plenty of stopping power, and imo it was was rather good for dirt jumping.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Why? Just personal opinion or experienced problems?
Either one, or even both would be no reason not to buy them. Probably hundreds of thousands of people have enjoyed trouble free braking from their Avids but for some reason they cop a lot of misguided scorn on forums. It must be fashionable.