How fast?

tojo

Likes Bikes
how fast has everyone done from pedalling flat out on flat ground? ie NOT downhill. And on what sort of bike? road bike or MTB.

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
how fast has everyone done from pedalling flat out on flat ground? ie NOT downhill. And on what sort of bike? road bike or MTB.
Ah, I like the question. Have hit over 50km/h a few times on both road & mtb (with slicks), by myself. Haven't been able to maintain that speed for more than 5-10 seconds though.

What's the highest average speed someone's had & over what distance? A mate & I have been averaging over 29km/h over a little flat 26km loop we do some mornings on the roadies. I'm sure in a peleton with some better riders we could go quicker.

Matt

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a moutain bike, running Maxxis Ignitors I got up to 44km on flat ground some time ago. Not sure what it would be now.
On a road bike, on the Pacific Highway I got up to 56km on Thursday morning. We held 45km/h for almost a km though. Gotta love drafting ;)

EDIT: Oh and Matty P to answer your question, it took me and my friend an hour to ride the 35km to school. So... 35km/h??

Last edited:

RCOH

Eats Squid
Around 45kph, fixed, being sucked through the Airport Tunnel at the beginning of the M5, at peak hour, literally inches from large trucks.

Rik & Carlin can verify the speed & the fact it was freakin' scary. I have not done it since & I will not do it again.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
On flat ground, I've done 58km/h during a road race around the regatta center at Penrith, which is as flat as a tack. Same races can average 45km/h, but normally 40-43km/h.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hit 92km/h on the MTB (cannondale rush) @ last years epic coming down the devils tail, I was riding on maxxis 1.8rear tyre, when I hit the transition from bitumin to gravel the speed slowed considerably a friend who also used a 1.8 rear hit 110km/h on the same hill he also said he had a couple of guys pass him complete with areo bars in the tuck position, Also in the same race coming into CP2 I was in a train that was averaging 40km/h on the flat.
Have had the roadie up over 100km/h once & that was scary as buggery, did it early 1 morning with a local bunch down the great dividing range.
Looking back it was dumb as a car/truck could've been around any on the bends, I think more dumb luck than any great skill prevented an injury that day.

THRILLHOUSE

Likes Dirt
Hit 107km/h down Lapstone hill in the blue mountains behind a truck. Definately not the smartest thing I have done but the feeling was awesome

tojo

Likes Bikes
well i dont use a spedo but a few years ago when i did have one i hit 57km/hr on flat ground riding flat out chasing a dingo on my MTB with knobby tyres along the cycle path.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
87kph on an MTB at the Otway Odyssey; 82kph at the Flight Centre Epic;
On a road bike, probably coming down from Charotte's Pass during the Hartley 92kph;
On the flat, 55kph maximal effort;
Over 400k, 24.7kph (I may not be fast, but I'm very persistent).

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bad news humans, apparently the flat groung record for a pedal'd pushy is 244km/hr, yes it involved drafting, but its impressive none the less.

sman

Cannon Fodder
dismiss this 244km/h

the turbulent air from the drafting is effectively pushing him along aswell as he was towed to a speed not to far from 244km/h then pedalled/got pushed the last few km/h.

thats cheating

ash_on_mtb

Likes Dirt
You want to dismiss 244km/h sitting astride a push bike??

150kmh, towed/pushed/drafted whatever has the potential to be laughed off, but 244km/h, c'mon thats balls whichever way he got there!! Thats HAMMERING!! I recall it was behind what looked like a top fuel dragster if memory serves..??!

Hammering I tell you, but the ice bike dudes like Phillip Perakis in days gone by were pretty quick also, but full aero suits down an ice waterfall has some painful conclusions I expect!

fastest on a mtb was bees nest hill at winmalee , blue mountains doing 53 km/h , also not much compared to others but scary all the same as there are lots of rocks that will get you !!

tojo

Likes Bikes
ok, so discounting drafting and going downhill, once again i ask whats the fastest people have pedalled flat out on flat ground? Just curious as its all your own effort and not assisted by hills or drafting

86kmh down alambie road near warringah mall on a hybrid mtb :p
i almost pooed my pants because there was traffic backed up around the corner and i had to slam the brakes and bunny hop up the gutter to avoid death

thank god for my dad having hydros on it

triples

Likes Dirt
Ive hit 84 on the roadie down into urriarra crossing in canberra. eyes watered up and nearly couldnt see. also hit 54 at sparrow's on the firetrail section before rigour mortis, not bad for a ss

Sam.

Eats Squid
Haven't had a speedo for a while but did crack 47 km/h going down coachwood drive when I was in year three.... Boy was I happy that day:rolleyes:.

As for now, constantly going faster than the cars down Mt Kembla and hills around Cordeaux Heights on the STP, You get some pretty funny looks when you overtake cars from the drivers:D