Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Waterpumps on the 1KD last about 160,000-200,000 km. It is behind the timing belt so every time you change the timing belt do the water pump too. No biggie. I don't like this idea the timing chain can happily live at the flywheel end of an engine. Anyway if I had an E30, 36 or 46 M3 I would be quite happy, not as happy as any E9 but still happy.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Thirty years of Euro cars and none of these grenades have gone off for me. Same goes for friends with M cars, Porsches etc.

Most stories I’ve heard of things going wrong were with people who didn’t maintain their cars.

if you can’t afford the upkeep you can’t afford the car, simple as that.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Thirty years of Euro cars and none of these grenades have gone off for me. Same goes for friends with M cars, Porsches etc.

Most stories I’ve heard of things going wrong were with people who didn’t maintain their cars.

if you can’t afford the upkeep you can’t afford the car, simple as that.
Or use cheap parts. Not all water pumps are created equal.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That Holden pump would be rubbish with a high revving turbo engine like a turbo RB.
Tell me you've never red-lined a holden V6 without telling me you've never red-lined a Holden V6.

Actually, to be fair I can't speak for the last of them, but from the VN Buick blocks to the VZ, it wasn't a nice experience.

And a long way from the design brief GM built them to

Haakon

IMG_5112.jpeg

Just pulled this off now, all this water pump talk got me inspired :) Shame to replace this one, feels perfect with 60K kms on it. A German made Hepu brand.

But it’s timing belt driven, so off it comes. Belt pullies also felt nice, but plastic so off they come too…

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Tell me you've never red-lined a holden V6 without telling me you've never red-lined a Holden V6.
Lies! My VR reached at least 4300rpm before it started feeling like it was going to throw a rod. :p

This. Cars are engineered to last the warranty period and (hopefully) a bit longer, but there's a reason the warranty period ends. If cars had to be warranted for 10-20 years they'd be built a lot differently. They'd also be a lot heavier, and likely a lot more rudimentary.

In the BMW scenario, you could consider (from an enthusiast owner's point of view) it's actually good thing as there's a mechanically superior alternative available. As to it being cheaper, yeah - when you're not running a dealership, arrange international distribution and stock holdings, or have to provide (easily accessible) warranty it's easy to sell things at a lower cost. Yes, it would be nice if it didn't have the fsult to begin with - bit there's not too many mechanically flawless sports cars out there in the real world. And you can always buy an 86/BRZ instead if coolant pump reliability is your jam, just prepare to be sad when you have to change the spark plugs. ;)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Actually, to be fair I can't speak for the last of them, but from the VN Buick blocks to the VZ, it wasn't a nice experience.

I had a VL with a RB26DE head on it. 8500rpm was fun with a crappy live axle.

It was easily better than my mum's VS Berlina.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Oddjob

In the BMW scenario, you could consider (from an enthusiast owner's point of view) it's actually good thing as there's a mechanically superior alternative available. As to it being cheaper, yeah - when you're not running a dealership, arrange international distribution and stock holdings, or have to provide (easily accessible) warranty it's easy to sell things at a lower cost. Yes, it would be nice if it didn't have the fsult to begin with - bit there's not too many mechanically flawless sports cars out there in the real world. And you can always buy an 86/BRZ instead if coolant pump reliability is your jam, just prepare to be sad when you have to change the spark plugs. ;)
This!

It just annoys the crap out of me that BMW et al make such great engines then surround them with crappy ancillaries. The water pumps are one thing but then you get the awful brakes in S series Audi's, the shitty AMG suspension etc etc etc.

Flow-Rider

Burner
For anyone interested in why you shouldn't own a BMW past its warranty period.

This is a 2000s M3 (E46) water pump.

They haven't improved since then.

This is a 1980-1990s Nissan RB series water pump next to it's fancy N1 motorsport brother.

Note that Nissan reduced the number of blades by 1 in the N1 for high rpm racing.

That's the least of their worries, I bet BMW is making a living out of replacing the leaking oil filter housing o-rings.

1712975305300.png

Flow-Rider

Burner
View attachment 408551
Just pulled this off now, all this water pump talk got me inspired :) Shame to replace this one, feels perfect with 60K kms on it. A German made Hepu brand.

But it’s timing belt driven, so off it comes. Belt pullies also felt nice, but plastic so off they come too…
If you run genuine water pumps and genuine coolant, water pumps seem to last for years. The over-tensioning of belts is probably the biggest killer, even with the spring loaded or automatic tensioners because sometimes they get sticky and tight.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I ran a modified VN V6 for years, tyres used to last me a couple of months, I bounced that motor off the rev limiter nearly every day .

I didn't even bother putting mags on it because replacing tyres bigger than 14s would have made me go broke. :D

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Lies! My VR reached at least 4300rpm before it started feeling like it was going to throw a rod. :p
How dare you skite you got a good one!
A guy at uni had a built 202 bored 206. Balanced very carefully with a stage III head, lumpy bump stick and triple webers. Thing spun easily to 8,000 rpm reliably. Similar story for some black motors tpo but they were still agricultural things. The LS and LT motors rely on basic 1500s tech but with modern refinements are pretty decent, light, make good power and 7,000rpm capable. Still not a patch on the miami's bmep but for what they are a good engine for repowering stuff. My LSA was punching out 500kW and gran could drive it without worrying about killing anyone.

I had a VL with a RB26DE head on it. 8500rpm was fun with a crappy live
Great combo, some serious power made with that arrangement and some hair-dryers.

Haakon

If you run genuine water pumps and genuine coolant, water pumps seem to last for years. The over-tensioning of belts is probably the biggest killer, even with the spring loaded or automatic tensioners because sometimes they get sticky and tight.
If this was an accessory belt driven pump I would totally have left it in. But it’s only a $40-50 pump so not worth not changing while doing a belt.
Although annoyingly the iron block had a bit of corrosion pitting around the gasket area that wasn’t there the last time I put a pump in this engine - always had good genuine coolant in it, but I guess being parked for a couple of years did it? Oh well, don’t usually use sealant on the rubber coated metal gasket, but this time it got a light smear of anaerobic sealant on the block side of the gasket.

Oddjob

Except if you track a BMW M Motorsport car where plastic impellers have been known to explode and the warranty won't cover you for track use. Audi, VW and non GT Porsches are also track shy.

AMG, Porsche Motorsport (GT cars) and Maclaren cover you for non-competitive track use. Not sure about Alpine, Renault RS and Nissan.

I wouldn't even bother asking a Stellantis or Ferrari dealer.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Except if you track a BMW M Motorsport car where plastic impellers have been known to explode and the warranty won't cover you for track use. Audi, VW and non GT Porsches are also track shy.

AMG, Porsche Motorsport (GT cars) and Maclaren cover you for non-competitive track use. Not sure about Alpine, Renault RS and Nissan.

I wouldn't even bother asking a Stellantis or Ferrari dealer.

Hey what about Toyota GRs and Hyundai Ns? They be covered too. I like Porsche's attitude, you just spend $900k on a GT2RS and an extended track day is mandatory for delivery!

Haakon

Fixed a Peugeot today as well. The bloke I sold the Megane to brought his friends 308 over with the dreaded BMW/Mini 1.6 DI turbo…

Had thrown an air intake leak code which for some reason made the coolant fan stay on full bore… Turns out he’d not put the oil cap on properly so there’s your ai leak :)

His friend jsut bough it with 90K kms on it and the valve train was nasty and sludgy looking through the cap and it was running straight water as coolant… I’m tempering his friends expectations for a long life out it, they’re an engine thats very very intolerant of less than perfect servicing!