Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
That doesn't sound good, gums usually heal fairly fast. It might be time to go into the Docs.
I have already. Moderate Hereditary Bleeding disorder. Been dealing with it my whole life (obviously). I have to be a bit more cruisy with MTB these days. No big Jumps, Drops, Mega rock gardens etc, and no more fkn Sesame snaps. Bleeds in the mouth can take a while to resolve.
As a consequence of some of the MTB stacks I've had, I've learned bit about MX and MTB armour, gloves etc ;)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Im no enginerd type but I’m old enough to have confused youngsters on the building site when I still worked on them.
“ Go grab a 3 be 1 and a half.”
- A what?
“A 70x35. Actually make that a 4 be 2.”
- A what?
“FFS. a 90x45.” (Never mind those measurements don’t even match any more in timber dimensions.
-what length?
“oh. A 4.2m

Later on.
just cut about 6 inches off that will you. Stares blankly. Ok. Cut about 150mm.
later on. Go grab my 4ft level.- comes back with my 6fter. No kid. I said the 1200level. - no you didn’t. Ok whatever. Now grab me some 3inch gun nails will ya. Comes back with 45mm brads.
That kid was me also when I started.

I know I’m 6’3 but farked if I know what that is in metric without looking it up.

ForkinGreat

As far as vernier calipers go, the analog Kinchrome 150mm ones Bunnings carry are surprisingly good. I bought some for a thank you gift for a mate and compared their accuracy using a bunch of calibration standards and was impressed.
Would you recommend the non-digital or the digital version?
and is there a better one than the Kinchrome that isn't super exxy?

I also had a look at micrometers online at a couple of tool shops, and can't see me using them , as ID measuring of bike parts is as important as OD or thickness measurement, to me.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Would you recommend the non-digital or the digital version?
and is there a better one than the Kinchrome that isn't super exxy?

I also had a look at micrometers online at a couple of tool shops, and can't see me using them , as ID measuring of bike parts is as important as OD or thickness measurement, to me.
Digital verniers are a PITA, the batteries are always flat when you need them and you have to keep on zeroing them before every use. The manual types are a bit harder to read but are a lot better in my opinion.

You can buy inside and outside mics and also what they call telescopic gauges which aren't beginner friendly, you still need the outside mics to measure, and they take a while to get the feel of.
1704808777709.png
1704808812487.png
1704808881716.png

Jpez

Down on the left!
[
Digital verniers are a PITA, the batteries are always flat when you need them and you have to keep on zeroing them before every use. The manual types are a bit harder to read but are a lot better in my opinion.

You can buy inside and outside mics and also what they call telescopic gauges which aren't beginner friendly, you still need the outside mics to measure, and they take a while to get the feel of.
View attachment 406100View attachment 406101View attachment 406102
I’ve got a couple of cheapish digital ones and I hate them. Both hang on the wall in the shed and at work and they both turn on and stay on as soon as you knock it or move the slide accidentally so yes the batteries are always dead or dying. I must admit to not reading the Chinglish manuals if indeed they came with one but is there a setting I’ve missed so it ONLY turns on if I’ve pressed the ON button?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I've been trying to justify the cost of a Mitutoyo set of verniers and Mic for a while now, I don't do very much precision machining but every now and then when I need to and something doesn't add up I begin to question the accuracy of the clapped out lathe I have access to, or the accuracy of my old Kinchrome callipers. Almost like the inside / outside measurements don't correlate anymore due to years of using them as scribers....hmmmm

Edit: That'll do it... There also seems to be a significant amount of up and down play in the slide...
PSX_20240110_071858.jpg

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

You're in Vic aren't you? This bottom crown looks like it would fit.

I don't think your verniers are too good either the ID for the bottom crown of a standard 1 1.5" should measure around 39.7 ~39.8.

https://www.bamcycles.com.au/fsa-15-lower-headset-crown-race.html

View attachment 405831
Thanks for the possible lead on a crown race, unfortunately, the OD of the steerer isn't something a standard 1.5 crown race would fit.
I should have rung the shop and asked them to get their verniers out and measure the crown race.
wasted a couple of hours getting out to the sticks and back. should have got it posted.

However shit my verniers are, they were probably close to 38.1mm for the OD of the fork steerer. The 39.7 ~39.8mm ID of the FSA crown race was never going to fit. we could both see that it was loose on the steerer.

The shop mechanic tried to be helpful, but I had already dealt with the distro, who also tried to be helpful but couldn't find me a crown race to fit a weird steerer diam.

IS there someone in Melbourne (or interstate) who could turn me up a shim or a crown race that would fit, and work with the standard FSA integrated tapered headset I bought? the top parts fit fine, inc top bearing, and the bottom bearing seems to fit fine.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hopefully someone local can come through but if not I can turn you up a spacer in aluminium but it wont be for a week or two. See how you go locally and I can be last resort. I have some lathe and mill work to do but wont get to it for a few days.

ForkinGreat

Hopefully someone local can come through but if not I can turn you up a spacer in aluminium but it wont be for a week or two. See how you go locally and I can be last resort. I have some lathe and mill work to do but wont get to it for a few days.
Much appreciated, thanks Dales. I will see if there's anyone/company local. I did message a few metal fab businesses just at the turn of the year, but no-one got back to me. Maybe the job was too small for them?? I have no idea what a business would charge for a collar or a one-off/two-off crown race.