Electric Vehicles etc

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What does everyone have for home charging?

We’re using the 10a granny charger for now, but want a 32a/7kw home charger installed. Got quotes for Zappi, Wallbox and ZJ Beny and really not sure which the best option is. Not sure I can really be bothered with solar optimisation, we’ll probably just try and plug in during the day where possible. Would prefer an untethered unit so I can take the cable on trips away in case I need to use a charger with DIY cable.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
We are off grid and have a Nissan Leaf w 40 kWhr battery and house battery about the same.
Had leaf for 2 + years and only used the 10A charger which you call a granny but my wife is a granny .
We are now retired but I use to take the charger to work and charge it there, if we stay at someones house or motel we use it there.
If its not very sunny we charge at 6A .
It depends on your lifestyle, how far you drive each day , if you are in a hurry all the time you would find 32A ok but expensive , we couldnt use more than a 15A charger.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

We’re using the 10a granny charger for now, but want a 32a/7kw home charger installed. Got quotes for Zappi, Wallbox and ZJ Beny and really not sure which the best option is. Not sure I can really be bothered with solar optimisation, we’ll probably just try and plug in during the day where possible. Would prefer an untethered unit so I can take the cable on trips away in case I need to use a charger with DIY cable.
Depends on how many K's are being driven per day and if you can get it charged back up enough for the next day.

We've used the supplied granny charger on 10A since new a year ago.

Also bought a type2-type2 lead for using on city AC free and pay chargers. She's plugged in using the lead a load of times so worth getting one.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
saw a different type of public charger today. was stuck on a phone pole, maybe the footprint of a snowboard, about 8 inchers thick and had plugs for 2 parking spots, BYO cable. Small sticker saying install their app to use, but seemed pretty good for use in regular neighbourhoods.

Im using the tesla mobile charger, i think a 15a socket. 150km overnight does me fine.

Last edited:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
saw a different type of public charger today. was stuck on a phone pole, maybe the footprint of a snowboard, about 8 inchers thick and had plugs for 2 parking spots, BYO cable. Small sticker saying install their app to use, but seemed pretty good for use in regular neighbourhoods.

Im using the tesla mobile charger, i think a 15a socket. 150km overnight does me fine.
this one? 50c/kw, planning to roll out 30,000!
1704255048683.png

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats the one, saw it at roseberry. 50 cents seems ok but only 22kw, that's not going to do a lot for you over lunch whilst not quite needing overnightwhich means you'll need an awful lot to serve a residential area

indica

Serial flasher
I have a Fronius Wattpilot. Has the solar optimisation which works quite well. I also bought a cable.
The unit is 3 phase because I have 3 phase. The BYD Seal will only charge at 7.5kW which is a pity but the Wattpilot will do 22kW if the car can take it.

I like it, I may have overcapitalised but the money was there from a car sale.

Flow-Rider

Burner
China’s BYD overtakes Tesla's electric car sales in last quarter of 2023

Chinese company BYD sold more electric vehicles than Elon Musk's Tesla in the last three months of 2023 as the two battled for top spot in the sector.

BYD said on Monday it had sold a record 526,000 battery-only vehicles in the final quarter of 2023.

It marked the first quarter its battery-only sales have outpaced Tesla's. The US-based firm has seen demand slow as borrowing costs climb.

However, for the whole of 2023, Mr Musk's Tesla still sold more.

On Tuesday, Tesla said it delivered a record 484,500 electric vehicles in the last three months of 2023 and 1.8 million for the year as a whole.

(Analysts say BYD owes its growth to its original business - batteries. They are among the most expensive parts of an EV and making them in-house saves BYD a lot of money.)

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I think we'll jump in when the next gen of batteries arrive - we still have a few years left in our Polo (touch wood).

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A Kia crossover that goes like a BMW coupe, even with a half charged battery.

I think we'll jump in when the next gen of batteries arrive - we still have a few years left in our Polo (touch wood).
They're very close.

indica

Serial flasher
Was told 20 Jan for the Seal and now it’s possibly March.
What spec did you order?
BYD are rubbish in the customer service department but the car is so effing good.

Range update: 400km round trip, 105km/h cruise control for a lot aircon set to 24.
Sea level to 800m elevation and back.
22% left from full on the Premium.

I'm pretty happy with that, be interesting to see how it is in a few months and next year.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What spec did you order?
BYD are rubbish in the customer service department but the car is so effing good.

Range update: 400km round trip, 105km/h cruise control for a lot aircon set to 24.
Sea level to 800m elevation and back.
22% left from full on the Premium.

I'm pretty happy with that, be interesting to see how it is in a few months and next year.
Just the base model in white.

Thought about Atto3 or MG4 but the Seal looks a cut above, and is $2k less than the Atto3 Extended the Mrs has. Going to be an issue juggling 3 kids and 2 working parents with one car once school goes back and sport/dance for the kids starts up, but we’ll work something out. The money I’m saving at the moment with no car expenses can pay for an Uber here and there if need be.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
270kg load capacity. Can carry a pallet.

Mattyp

Cows go boing

Finally, they have found their true purpose. Hauling heavy stuff where it won't go under its own power.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Would have loved a cargo bike like that when the kids were younger!