Electric Vehicles etc

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its a complicated topic and a very complicated system. It does not respond well to simple ideas about the solutions!
TLDR but I can imagine what's in there. Everyone has a plan, a strategy, a wish list but the problem is who is going to pay for it.

AEMO are just the operators, they don't own any generation. Mostly private companies own the generation and wont build any more if it doesn't make a profit for shareholders.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That report has onshore wind at a cheaper price in every region except Japan. When averaged out onshore wind appears more expensive than in reality because of the high cost of land in Japan.
Just having a quick look it also appears to only count "overnight" and construction costs. Disposal of waste doesn't seem to be factored in. If I'm wrong can you point me to the bit of the 223 pages where it's mentioned.
Well let's discuss externalities then. It doesn't count the cost of carbon emissions, climate mitigation, network upgrades, economic loss of life, waste disposal for all types of generation etc etc etc.

So according to the IPCC if we don't drastically cut carbon emissions we're fucked. Imagine if we had spent the last 20 years displacing coal and gas fired generation with something else.

We could also close all the remaining nuclear plants, but we can't because we can't afford the extra carbon. Note these are older, less efficient and more unsafe plants.

In the last 20 years wind, solar and batteries have become orders of magnitude cheaper. So why aren't all our needs met by these sources? Because networks. If you think nuclear plants are expensive, networks are unimaginably more so. Especially upgrading switch gear for distributed generation and reliability for intermittent sources. Remember this when we are bitching about energy prices inflating much faster than CPI for the next 30 years.

Despite nuclear having the biggest crises it's killed the fewest people by a few orders of magnitude. The worst source is coal, but there are plenty of people who die in solar factories and installing wind farms.

Then we have waste. The best way to deal with nuclear waste is to recycle it in breeder reactors. Then encase the final waste product in epoxy concrete and then bury or place near a continental subversion zone. Given that we can't mass collect CO2 effectively or deal with the laminate products from solar and wind farms, I would say that dealing with nuclear waste has a more finite time horizon.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Oddjob

So just who are these terrible greenies ,do they live in the ground in hobbit houses ?
I believe nuclear is expensive because there is so much planning ,redundancy and safeguards.
Even still stuff happens like Fukashima ie unexpected tsunamis?Previously Chernobyl and 3 mile island = permanent mess.
If solar or wind farm fails so what ?
They look like you and me but they tend to be more NIMBY and are willfully stupid because they ignore the evidence.

Worrying about nuclear waste with half lives of 100ks of years is dumb, when climate change will fuck us in the next century. Ironically the nature around Chernobyl is doing great, because no humans.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
TLDR but I can imagine what's in there. Everyone has a plan, a strategy, a wish list but the problem is who is going to pay for it.

AEMO are just the operators, they don't own any generation. Mostly private companies own the generation and wont build any more if it doesn't make a profit for shareholders.
I'm sorry, but TLDR doesn't really cut it if you want to have an opinion on what's in there!

Try actually reading it and commenting from an informed position.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Spinning on a chair and eating doughnuts with my fingers in my ears.
I'm not having a go, I'm just wondering what your relationship is these national policy instruments. If you're in management or any sort of government or market relations type stuff at a power station, id have assumed you'd be all over the ISP in detail.

Oddjob

Right on. I think @Haakon and @Oddjob can agree that this EV is cool. I'm sure keen to see more of it.

Holy fuck, that would be amazing. If they built a new Stagea with the same drivetrain that would be even better.

Although in fairness I saw a Taycan Cross Turismo in the flesh the other day and it still gave me a massive boner.

Oddjob

I have spent more time that I should admit on the configurator.
The Taycan 4s Cross Turismo is the pick of the bunch. Option the torque vectoring and the carbon ceramic brakes.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The Taycan 4s Cross Turismo is the pick of the bunch. Option the torque vectoring and the carbon ceramic brakes.
I'd be happy enough with the non-S CT, no ceramics but a bunch of chassis options.

Considering what that gets you it's not even that expensive. Relatively speaking..

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahaha, yeah maybe ……

Actually it’s only $242,000 drive away .

Trade my ute ….balloon of $222,000 . Nah they’re gonna want %10 down ….
Your a bad man @Tubbsy , now I’m trying figure how my minimum wage flex agreement gets me into a Porsche

Oddjob

I'd be happy enough with the non-S CT, no ceramics but a bunch of chassis options.

Considering what that gets you it's not even that expensive. Relatively speaking..
Fo sho! Easily the performance car of this generation.

I'm looking at ceramic carbon disc brakes for the GTR and despite the large upfront cost, they will last the life of the car. Otherwise every disc pad change, also involves new discs at $2500+. This would be even more for OEM Porsche.

On the other hand I'm planning to grab some Corvette ZR1 CCB discs for USD $9000 when I head to the US at the end of the year. Combined with Endless semi sintered pads they should last 180k or road and some light track work.