Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've read it and I simply don't believe it. The original Basslink has been an operational and financial basket case. I'm not confident that Basslink 2.0 will work out any better.

There won't be enough storage and synchronisation capacity to deal with more than one interconnect going down. If that's the case SA falling over could lead to a domino effect across the NEM. To avoid this we will end up with a bunch of small OCGT and peaking diesel plants being built at the last minute. This will be less efficient than a single larger CCGT or I don't know a Korean APR1400.

If we get lower runoff in the Snowys and Tasmania as predicted by the IPCC and CSIRO then, their storage capacity will be severely limited.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
You dont "believe" it? Umm. ok... Well all I can say is that AEMO does sorta know what its talking about - this isn't some lefty think tank!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You dont "believe" it? Umm. ok... Well all I can say is that AEMO does sorta know what its talking about - this isn't some lefty think tank!
Sure, but they aren't omniscient. Forecasting the energy market is more art than science due to the number of factors involved.

They missed the huge spikes in network capex over the last 15 years. They missed the shut down dates of the large brown coal and black coal generators. They mis-timed the switch from winter peak to summer peak and then the size of the summer peaks Etc etc.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
If you think AEMO forecasting the energy market is more art than science, then an accurate costing in time and money to build a Korean APR 1400 and the associated supply and disposal infrastructure is the equivalent of understanding an abstract interpretive dance conducted by 200 naked albinos.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Haakon

If you think AEMO forecasting the energy market is more art than science, then an accurate costing in time and money to build a Korean APR 1400 and the associated supply and disposal infrastructure is the equivalent of understanding an abstract interpretive dance conducted by 200 naked albinos.

Way better put than what I was going to write!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Where are the albinos?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ford Oz has just announced that the Mach-E is launching here in the back end of this year. Three grades with three different motor options and two battery options. Range in the mid spec Premium (single motor, big battery) version could get close to 600 km.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
The original Basslink has been an operational and financial basket case.

It went down for 6 months causing an electricity shortage in Tassie. The shortage was also caused by Hydro Tassie selling massive amounts of electricity to Vic and running their storages down to 25% before it went out. In the two years they were running the storage down they replaced a lot of brown coal electricity. It's worked perfectly since then other than a 1 1/2 day outgage. The average flow to Vic including the period of outage is 109 MW and there is 111 MW average going the other way. Sure that's only a bit over 20% of it's capabilities but would you want to see infrastructure at capacity that needs replacing or additions.. I don't know if that makes it an operational disaster, I guess that's opinion.
As for being a financial disaster that simply isn't true. The original operator went into receivership from debts incurred because of contractual obligations during the outage.
It's said that for Basslink to be economically viable the difference in price between the state has to be more than fifty something dollars per MWH but what has to be realised is that Basslink is the reason the difference in price is under $50 other than late arvo. It prevents prices from spiking in Tassie and lowers spikes in Vic.
Is turning a salt pan where nothing much lived into salt water ponds that big a disaster? The water that gets used from my understanding is salty ground water that can't be used for agriculture or drinking. I don't get the fuss but maybe there's more to it and I'm happy to be corrected.

Haakon

The shortage was also caused by Hydro Tassie selling massive amounts of electricity to Vic and running their storages down to 25% before it went out.
That was Tas Hydro gaming (sort of) the Carbon Price Mechanism, and losing the gamble on there being rain to refill dams. Tas Hydro made a deliberate decision to run the generators flat out in the lead up to Abbott abolishing the CPM - they made a fortune doing it too, so a good business decision, just got unlucky with a drought straight after emptying the dams.

Had the CPM been retained, they wouldn't have exposed themselves so much to low water levels.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Pretty. Never flown over the red mud dam in Sadstone or the Collie moon scape in WA?
I don't get why this isn't utilised, It has a higher concentration of iron than a lot of ore.

That was Tas Hydro gaming (sort of) the Carbon Price Mechanism, and losing the gamble on there being rain to refill dams. Tas Hydro made a deliberate decision to run the generators flat out in the lead up to Abbott abolishing the CPM - they made a fortune doing it too, so a good business decision, just got unlucky with a drought straight after emptying the dams.

Had the CPM been retained, they wouldn't have exposed themselves so much to low water levels.
Sort of? They had a date that the carbon scheme was finishing and ran the generators as hard as they could until that date.

Last edited:

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It went down for 6 months causing an electricity shortage in Tassie. The shortage was also caused by Hydro Tassie selling massive amounts of electricity to Vic and running their storages down to 25% before it went out. In the two years they were running the storage down they replaced a lot of brown coal electricity. It's worked perfectly since then other than a 1 1/2 day outgage. The average flow to Vic including the period of outage is 109 MW and there is 111 MW average going the other way. Sure that's only a bit over 20% of it's capabilities but would you want to see infrastructure at capacity that needs replacing or additions.. I don't know if that makes it an operational disaster, I guess that's opinion.
As for being a financial disaster that simply isn't true. The original operator went into receivership from debts incurred because of contractual obligations during the outage.
It's said that for Basslink to be economically viable the difference in price between the state has to be more than fifty something dollars per MWH but what has to be realised is that Basslink is the reason the difference in price is under $50 other than late arvo. It prevents prices from spiking in Tassie and lowers spikes in Vic.

Is turning a salt pan where nothing much lived into salt water ponds that big a disaster? The water that gets used from my understanding is salty ground water that can't be used for agriculture or drinking. I don't get the fuss but maybe there's more to it and I'm happy to be corrected.
Anything to do with Lithium seems to be massively overblown. I've visited Greenbushes (as I drive past it all the time going biking) and it's a decent size hole but nothing like the scale of NW iron ore mines and significantly smaller than the super pit in Kalgoorlie if anyone has been there. I think Mt Whaleback puts out something like 90 Million Tonnes a year and Greenbushes less than 2 Million and that is the largest hard rock lithium mine in the world responsible for something like 20% of global supply. There are a heap more coming but iron ore mining in the Pilbara will still massively overshadow lithium.

Haakon

Sort of? They had a date that the carbon scheme was finishing and ran the generators as hard as they could until that date.
Sort of as "gaming" tends to suggest dodgy behaviour, this was just a damn smart move! Pity about the drought and a busted Bass Link...

Flow-Rider

Burner

Consuming excess water supplies and the runoff will be very destructive, I've worked in mining for years, and it's disgusting what the government turns a blind eye to, copper mining is one of the worst. Go get a job in the industry then report back here and tell me it doesn't do anything to the environment, internet expertise isn't my game.

"The salt flats in South America where lithium is found are located in arid territories. In these places, access to water is key for the local communities and their livelihoods, as well as the local flora and fauna.

In Chile’s Atacama salt flats, mining consumes, contaminates, and diverts scarce water resources away from local communities."

"Lithium mining has become particularly controversial recently in Portugal, with the municipality of Pinhel now preparing to an injunction file to stop the exploration. Portuguese residents have continuously rallied against the rare metal's mining, citing huge environmental ramifications. But the government has given the green light to the extraction of the "white gold" in six different regions.

95 per cent of the local population has rejected these plans, despite the mining company's promises that the ore's exploitation will create around 800 jobs for locals".