Electric Vehicles etc

PJO

in me vL comy
1MW of coal power costs about $6, same with gas is currently around $120.
Not sure where you got that price, the coal price is way off, the gas price is in the ballpark. Cost of renewables is substantially cheaper.
1680051908115.png

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It’s not that simple. A national grid with appropriate transmission capacity and flexibility is the key.
It is that simple, they are working with what they have and its nearly all private business now, the gov dont give a shit as long as the lights stay on.

Not sure where you got that price, the coal price is way off, the gas price is in the ballpark. Cost of renewables is substantially cheaper.
Not sure what your graph represents, building new generation that runs on above ? Absolutely, thermal plants cost a shit load and we'll never see a 10 billion dollar Nuclear plant in Australia.

For an already established plant with a coal source, like Loy Yang in the Latrobe valley, the actual cost of getting 1MW worth of coal out of the ground and into the hoppers is $6.

PJO

in me vL comy
For an already established plant with a coal source, like Loy Yang in the Latrobe valley, the actual cost of getting 1MW worth of coal out of the ground and into the hoppers is $6.
That can't possibly be right.
It takes about 400kg (0.4tonne) to produce 1 MWh of electricity.
Current price of thermal coal in Australia is ~$300 per tonne. Was more like $80 per tonne back in 2020.
Even at the lowest figure it can't be anywhere near $6

ozzybmx

That can't possibly be right.
I have no idea about the cost of coal if I was buying it to burn in my house but if I owned my own mine and just needed to move my free coal a short distance by conveyor belt, I would say it wouldn't cost too much.

The gas plant I work in is no longer viable as the gas price is through the roof and coal for these large thermal plants is cheap or basically free.

There's a reason they built these plants where they did.

hdghhgdh.jpg

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I have no idea about the cost of coal if I was buying it to burn in my house but if I owned my own mine and just needed to move my free coal a short distance by conveyor belt, I would say it wouldn't cost a too much.

The gas plant I work in is no longer viable as the gas price is through the roof and coal for these large thermal plants is cheap or basically free.

There's a reason they built these plants where they did.

View attachment 398309
It's not theirs. They buy the coal from the state.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It's not theirs. They buy the coal from the state.
For a very very nominal royalty fee.

Lignite and black coal power stations are very different beasts and run on entirely different economics. Lignite cannot be shipped for economic and practical (it has a tendency to blow up ships) reasons, so they build the power stations on top of the mine. Black coal tends to train in coal from mines that are run separately, and hence are generally exposed to international pricing for their coal.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I don't know what the cost is per tonne because it's sold by the megajoule and I don't know the conversion. I imagine the cost per tonne would vary too much because of the moisture content so there possibly isn't a straight conversion anyway.
It's a few years ago now but I remember the power companies having a big whinge about the cost being brought in line with other states.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It really really isn’t… Massivly expensive. Also, base load is an obsolete concept anyway.
I love it when greenies claim that nuclear is hugely expensive. New plants are expensive because they get delayed for years/decades from court cases and planning delays due to greenies. So it's a circular argument.

If we look at current nuclear power, the levelised cost of electricity (LCOE) is lower than most other sources. https://www.iea.org/reports/projected-costs-of-generating-electricity-2020 But this is from older less safe reactors we can't replace because of the fuckloads of planning and legal barriers.

I'm not saying that if we just deregulate, then all will be well with nuclear power. But cherry picking the cluster fucks that are Flamanville and Hinkley Point ignores the evidence.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I love it when greenies claim that nuclear is hugely expensive. New plants are expensive because they get delayed for years/decades from court cases and planning delays due to greenies. So it's a circular argument.
So just who are these terrible greenies ,do they live in the ground in hobbit houses ?
I believe nuclear is expensive because there is so much planning ,redundancy and safeguards.
Even still stuff happens like Fukashima ie unexpected tsunamis?Previously Chernobyl and 3 mile island = permanent mess.
If solar or wind farm fails so what ?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mid 30s% efficiency sub critical reheat coal fired power plant uses 180 tonnes of coal to generate 330MHh of electricity into the grid. Coal that is burned depends on contracts etc etc. Was as low as mid $20 per tonne last century, now closer to $80 for long term contract and over $130 spot market. $18,000 = 330MWh. So 1MWh is $43.64.

ozzybmx

On EV topic, did I get the right thread :p

Just got the call that my missus Atto3 is ready for pick up, just need a small detail like paying for it to sort out first.

The headf%#k of getting them to fit the premium slimline plate is too much hassle so will take delivery with the standard SA plate, claim rebate then swap in a couple of weeks.

20221209_133431_Object Removal - Copy.jpg

Freediver

I can go full Karen
That report has onshore wind at a cheaper price in every region except Japan. When averaged out onshore wind appears more expensive than in reality because of the high cost of land in Japan.
Just having a quick look it also appears to only count "overnight" and construction costs. Disposal of waste doesn't seem to be factored in. If I'm wrong can you point me to the bit of the 223 pages where it's mentioned.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Nuclear effectively has an infinite cost. The management of waste is a massive cost and has an ongoing cost for the next couple of hundred thousand years. Might as well be forever as far we are concerned.

It's dumb and old technology.
So, what is the solution then? Something like localised battery storage with rooftop solar?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So, what is the solution then? Something like localised battery storage with rooftop solar?
Lots of wind, including bulk offshore, more solar, more storage (including community level batteries but noting batteries are not needed for long term storage, theyre a smoothing and stability role) and most important of all a massively upgraded grid that can switch and get power from where its being generated to where its needed.

A second Bass Straight cable is the first big new grid upgrade, more big transmission on its way to connect renewable energy precincts to the main transmission network. The short version even with just wind and solar is that there can always be enough generating capacity, its a matter of getting it to where its needed.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
No, as everyone other than a few people swimming in Egypt keep saying, the answer lies in a mix of tech. Increased RTS and batteries will be an important part of it but so will wind, hydro and and other emrging tech along with an improved grid.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
On EV topic, did I get the right thread :p

Just got the call that my missus Atto3 is ready for pick up, just need a small detail like paying for it to sort out first.

The headf%#k of getting them to fit the premium slimline plate is too much hassle so will take delivery with the standard SA plate, claim rebate then swap in a couple of weeks.

View attachment 398313
Looks just like a cruiser! Nice.