Little Things You Hate

cammas

Seamstress
Nah. Do a quick lazy job...nobody is going to give a shit.
She will :rolleyes:
Years ago I started painting one of the kids rooms and she started complaining, so I said you do it, so she did and she did a good job. From then on she painted everything and I prepped but she is doing a doing a distressed paint job in French provincial style on the frame for the new bed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Years ago I started painting one of the kids rooms and she started complaining, so I said you do it, so she did and she did a good job. From then on she painted everything and I prepped but she is doing a doing a distressed paint job in French provincial style on the frame for the new bed.
Sounds like she will be the best person to match the bedroom paint job to the bed...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
You are in with a chance with the distressed paint. If it doesn't look a bit rugged then you are doing it wrong :)

Designed for you to pay and premium for something that looks like it has been dragged behind a cart for a few kms over cobblestones. Those fancy antique chalky looking paints can drain the wallet really easily.

My worst fear is finishing painting, cleaning up and putting everything away.......then you notice a small patch that you didn't cover properly. You can't help looking at it all of the time and slowly drive yourself nuts but also can't be arsed to give in and touch it up.

cammas

Seamstress
You are in with a chance with the distressed paint. If it doesn't look a bit rugged then you are doing it wrong :)

Designed for you to pay and premium for something that looks like it has been dragged behind a cart for a few kms over cobblestones. Those fancy antique chalky looking paints can drain the wallet really easily.

My worst fear is finishing painting, cleaning up and putting everything away.......then you notice a small patch that you didn't cover properly. You can't help looking at it all of the time and slowly drive yourself nuts but also can't be arsed to give in and touch it up.
Here’s the last bed she did but the new bed and base coming is a king size (the company’s mistake at queen size price) so she is doing another frame set. She picked up another cheap frame in great condition as the people were moving to Queensland and she’s about halfway through it, as this one is the whole enchilada with overhead rails etc, will be good to see it finished. That’s the feature wall I’m about to topcoat now I’ve done two coats of sealer to cover that crappy colour.

1661648473829.png

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
With Japan having their borders shut to tourism the last 2 northern winters haven't been so good for business. A few days ago news broke that there will probably be some further easing of japanese border restrictions soon, but nothing really clear yet nor official. So I haven't had the chance to work out if I'll be back in business this season or not yet. Anyway that isn't the gripe. The gripe is "friends" hitting me up to see if they are getting a good deal on package a, b, or c that they have found online and feel a sudden urgency to book. "Hey man...is this a good deal? Is this a good spot? Will I like it?" Sigh.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Here’s the last bed she did but the new bed and base coming is a king size (the company’s mistake at queen size price) so she is doing another frame set. She picked up another cheap frame in great condition as the people were moving to Queensland and she’s about halfway through it, as this one is the whole enchilada with overhead rails etc, will be good to see it finished. That’s the feature wall I’m about to topcoat now I’ve done two coats of sealer to cover that crappy colour.
Looking good. My Mrs would definitely get along with Mrs Cammas colours and styles. Does come out great and giving new life to old unwanted stuff is a plus. Better to DIY than going to the local Guangzhou shop full of pre-aged chinese knockoffs - every area has a few of those new vintage shops.

It just does my head in that the sanding blocks and sandpaper come out after painting it. I find that hard to get used to :D I do admire that she gets stuff that I would pass on and make it work out somehow. Even the bedhead disappeared in the spare room. After all of that is has been commandeered by the fahn cat who seems to own everything by default anyhow. I sometimes wonder why I bother.

Attachments

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I love the distressed look, especially dining tables etc and the weird arse feature walls. When I was growing up my father's parents stuff was like that from age and neglect and I used to think they were too lazy to give it some paint!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My computer woes were above my ability to fix.

I took it down to a local IT shop and asked them to fix it.

Ends up I had an intermittently faulting CPU which was an i7 10700f at only 18 months old. They had it for a week bench testing and checking, they did a good job. Replaced the CPU and I will probably have to scumtree the warranty CPU.

Gets it home, another fresh install of Windows... and find they have formatted my 2TB storage drive, the only 'spinny' drive I have on the computer as windows, programs and other storage requirements are handled by 2 x SSD's.

I havent back up the drive to another 2TB hard drive I have in my locker in work for about 3 years.

I specifically said, disconnect the 'big storage' HD and do what you want with the rest of it. Last 3 years of photos and videos (apart from what is on my phone or uploaded to Youtube) lost :confused:

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

Ends up I had an intermittently faulting CPU which was an i7 10700f at only 18 months old. They had it for a week bench testing and checking, they did a good job. Replaced the CPU and I will probably have to scumtree the warranty CPU.

Gets it home, another fresh install of Windows... and find they have formatted my 2TB storage drive, the only 'spinny' drive I have on the computer as windows, programs and other storage requirements are handled by 2 x SSD's.

I havent back up the drive to another 2TB hard drive I have in my locker in work for about 3 years.

I specifically said, disconnect the 'big storge' HD and do what you want with the rest of it. Last 3 years of photos and videos (apart from what is on my phone or uploaded to Youtube) lost :confused:
F'kn tradies. There's probably an iced coffee container floating around in it too.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

I specifically said, disconnect the 'big storge' HD and do what you want with the rest of it. Last 3 years of photos and videos (apart from what is on my phone or uploaded to Youtube) lost :confused:
We had a battery fault on a 13 month old iPad. I backed it up and took into the apple store last time i was in canberra. They swapped it on the spot for a brand new one and I reloaded it with the backup when I got home. Job done, spent maybe 15 minutes in the Apple store.

There is a reason I use Apple stuff and not PCs...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
They swapped it on the spot for a brand new one and I reloaded it with the backup when I got home. Job done, spent maybe 15 minutes in the Apple store.

There is a reason I use Apple stuff and not PCs...
A wisely done backup saved you :) I backup everything on my laptop and desktop drives to 4TB external HDD religiously every week or two.
Doesn't matter who makes it, things *will* go splat sooner or later. You are the one that will be affected more than anyone else, so might as well put some effort in and be ready for the inevitable.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here

There are likely options for retrieving the data but may not be cheap.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
A wisely done backup saved you :) I backup everything on my laptop and desktop drives to 4TB external HDD religiously every week or two.
Doesn't matter who makes it, things *will* go splat sooner or later. You are the one that will be affected more than anyone else, so might as well put some effort in and be ready for the inevitable.
Wasnt wisely done, just standard procedure as I was expecting the iPad to never come home again and would be given a new one.

I back the iOS devices up to the Mac every now and then and then that is backed up every couple of weeks. Spinning drives in particular have a finite life...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Wasnt wisely done, just standard procedure as I was expecting the iPad to never come home again and would be given a new one.

I back the iOS devices up to the Mac every now and then and then that is backed up every couple of weeks. Spinning drives in particular have a finite life...
Hey, give yourself some credit. Any backup is a wise move!
Remembering to run the backup regularly is the tougher bit for me and how much I'm fine to lose when it all goes south.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Doesn't matter who makes it, things *will* go splat sooner or later.
There are likely options for retrieving the data but may not be cheap.
Been a bit slack lately, used to do it religiously but eased off.

I have the kids younger years all backed up and all the videos I take are sent to YouTube. My phone has all the pics from the last 18 month still on it and I reckon the last back-up was probably the end of 2019.

Just dawned on me that I have lost all my 2020-21 Tafe Training and assessment course work.

Not a massive loss but annoying.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Been a bit slack lately, used to do it religiously but eased off.

I have the kids younger years all backed up and all the videos I take are sent to YouTube. My phone has all the pics from the last 18 month still on it and I reckon the last back-up was probably the end of 2019.

Just dawned on me that I have lost all my 2020-21 Tafe Training and assessment course work.

Not a massive loss but annoying.
I hear you. Easy to leave an earlier backup HDD for sometime and then use it one day and it doesn't work. I've had one of those too.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I use time machine for the iMac (auto backups to an external hard drive) and other devices backup over the air to iCloud regularly.
As @Haakon said, it's something Apple is very good at.
I'm sure Mr Jobs has that figured out well.

I have cloud backup that runs all the time too but I still like a local copy handy.
Also helps to move things around from one machine to another if needed.