Which tyres do you prefer and why

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Seen a few mentions of that here now, I thought that was a thing of the past?

Anyone here actually had a wonky one lately?
In the last year, between the 3 of us, at least 2, possibly 3 Maxxis and add the Wild Enduro that the casing separated when I was in Tassie.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sounds like Tasmania’s at fault honestly
I ran the tyre with a wobble and separated casing for the last few days of the trip.

Was carrying 2 spare DHR II's with me, wasn't that concerned that it was worth swapping out.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Maxxis are overated tyres, plenty of other great tyres out there that are streaks ahead IMO.
Feel the same. Used to go to Maxxis by default but the quality just isn't there anymore imo. Pity cus the DHF / DHR was such a good all round combo, Assegai was a laugh and the Dissector is way more versatile than I thought it would be.

@kten I'm curious about the Eliminator / Butcher - if I was looking at some for a mid-travel trail bike I'm assuming I'd be looking at Grip Trail in a T7? What's their performance like in damp / muddy conditions?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@kten I'm curious about the Eliminator / Butcher - if I was looking at some for a mid-travel trail bike I'm assuming I'd be looking at Grip Trail in a T7? What's their performance like in damp / muddy conditions?
I've got a 29x2.3 T7 Trail Butcher on the rear of the Saturn14 at the moment because it was all I could get at the top of Falls when I shredded an old Dissector on Big Fella. I fully expected to run it for a couple of days and replace it when I got home, but it's still on there ~5mo later. It's good. Very like a 2.3 DHF in many ways, but the sidewall is pretty stiff - couldn't get the Rimpact in when I was changing the tyre in the carpark with hands covered in sealant. I haven't ridden loads this winter but it's been good on the rear riding Red Hill, and good enough at Silvan/Macedon where nothing grips in winter anyway. I get the feeling the softer T9 rubber up front would give grip for days.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Feel the same. Used to go to Maxxis by default but the quality just isn't there anymore imo. Pity cus the DHF / DHR was such a good all round combo, Assegai was a laugh and the Dissector is way more versatile than I thought it would be.

Great combo imo. For me I would run Butcher front and rear especially in damp conditions. The Butcher bites in with much added tenacity and feels more surefooted than the Eliminator. The advantage of this extra grip and confidence more than outweighs the slight reduction in rolling resistance.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Seen a few mentions of that here now, I thought that was a thing of the past?

Anyone here actually had a wonky one lately?
Not recently. Before I had multiple wheelsets & had to seasonally change tyres, I found my theoretically not-tubeless foldie Crossmarks would twist & warp when hung up for the winter, and wouldn't straighten when put back on wheels. I've never had any tyres go wonky while fitted, even when stored for a long time.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Ive currently got a WTB Verdict and Judge on for Winter , very grippy in the wet

And have a WTB Vigilante and Trail Boss i will put back on in Summer ,

Not sure if they are much if any better than the Maxis Stuff, I cant tell a lot of difference if I was being honest , maybe i just like doing things a bit different

had some wild enduros on for a while that came with a nukeproof Mega as well . found them to be a great winter tyre combo , but felt a bit harsh rolling in summer in Aus

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I reckon the WTB sidewalls have better support (at least for a heavier chap like myself) than the equivalent Maxxis casings. Do like 'em, but they are a bit hard to get at times.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Ive currently got a WTB Verdict and Judge on for Winter , very grippy in the wet

And have a WTB Vigilante and Trail Boss i will put back on in Summer ,

Not sure if they are much if any better than the Maxis Stuff, I cant tell a lot of difference if I was being honest , maybe i just like doing things a bit different

had some wild enduros on for a while that came with a nukeproof Mega as well . found them to be a great winter tyre combo , but felt a bit harsh rolling in summer in Aus
I'm a fan! Been on the Judge (front), Trail Boss (rear). My only gripe would be the Judge is about 200g too heavy, but otherwise great grip for my local You Yangs. Came from a DHR2 on the front.

Just put a vigilante 2.5 on in place of the judge, but have yet to ride it in anger

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I'm a fan! Been on the Judge (front), Trail Boss (rear). My only gripe would be the Judge is about 200g too heavy, but otherwise great grip for my local You Yangs. Came from a DHR2 on the front.

Just put a vigilante 2.5 on in place of the judge, but have yet to ride it in anger
Vigilante is a great front tyre

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Wrecked the 2.4” Dissector (rear) on my Optic, after the Vittoria conversation in this thread, replaced it with the 2.35” Martello it came with.
Definitely faster rolling, good under brakes & corners, a little slippier in the wet.
I’ll leave it on, DT Swiss XM wheel (29mm inner)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@wkkie just noticed the slightest of wobbles on the DHF I’m running- currently hoping that’s all it is, a Maxxis-wobble!