Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RS usually has some backward compatibility / upgradability so we might have options
The only current fork compatible with next years parts is the Zeb. All others forks are said to be incompatible, so you cant fit buttercups to your older rs forks, or the new damper, air spring. Etc.

Speaking of changes, how many thread sizes and pitches can they possibly go though with each new pike/lyric model? RS musst be into their 5th non backwards compatibility cycle by now!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The only current fork compatible with next years parts is the Zeb. All others forks are said to be incompatible, so you cant fit buttercups to your older rs forks, or the new damper, air spring. Etc.

Speaking of changes, how many thread sizes and pitches can they possibly go though with each new pike/lyric model? RS musst be into their 5th non backwards compatibility cycle by now!
Left-hand thread BSW for the win!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Changes in thread sizes and pitches is a bit miserable. If remember rightly it affects the dampeners threads between boost to non boost forks, or something like that.

Maybe they will change it in future. It had some luck mix n' matching their earlier stuff and air shafts swappage. No one likes planned obsolescence.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Get off our lawn!
You and I both know seperating the dampner and air spring from the lowers with rubber stops will do more for vibration than filling rims and bars with foam.
Eapecially since the little rubber grommets don’t have to overcome all the air spring and dampner friction, just lip seals.

beeb

You and I both know seperating the dampner and air spring from the lowers with rubber stops will do more for vibration than filling rims and bars with foam.
Eapecially since the little rubber grommets don’t have to overcome all the air spring and dampner friction, just lip seals.
To be honest, I haven’t even tried to work out what they do… I’m happy enough with my current forks. If you want great small-bump sensitivity, buy a coil. But theoretically if you wanted maximum small-bump sensitivity, buy a coil and wedge some buttercups each end of the coil. Provides a 20% reduction in, err…something (contents of wallet most likely).

Excuse my general jadedness - I’m sure they probably do something - but I’m much, much more sure all they’ll do is pack down over time and require replacement.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
To be honest, I haven’t even tried to work out what they do… I’m happy enough with my current forks. If you want great small-bump sensitivity, buy a coil. But theoretically if you wanted maximum small-bump sensitivity, buy a coil and wedge some buttercups each end of the coil. Provides a 20% reduction in, err…something (contents of wallet most likely).

Excuse my general jadedness - I’m sure they probably do something - but I’m much, much more sure all they’ll do is pack down over time and require replacement.
Yeah they will, but it’ll take awhile, they’ll be submerged in oil.
Rubbers great at dealing with high frequency vibrations.

Be jaded, but these are a good idea, better than filling tubes with foam. 20% less? Fuck off with dumb stats. But these aren’t the dumbest thing srams done by any stretch of the imagination.

beeb

Be jaded, but these are a good idea, better than filling tubes with foam. 20% less? Fuck off with dumb stats. But these aren’t the dumbest thing srams done by any stretch of the imagination.
Lol, fired up much? You took me very seriously.

[EDIT] Actually, now I’m (re)reading this properly and not skim-reading it during a short SBS OnDemand ad-break it doesn’t sound so angry… lolz. At least I’m assuming the “F*** off” isn’t directed at me? Anyway I don’t really care. For you @Ultra Lord - one day I will bother to try and understand what buttercups do and why I should be SuperBoost level stoked about them. For now in my mind they just provide a bit of spring colour to alpine meadows.

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

I guess they are technically submerged in oil but they are inside that…..buttercup….which keeps the oil out. Doesn’t it?