What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Good to hear they are working well I have found the three I've had to just work with no fuss which is what I want. Surprised about the grease in the air spring mine have always been liberally coated but there is always going to be variation. Also I think they are always dry lowers as there is no bath oil for the damper or air spring. Like you I throw 5ml of fox 20 in both for good measure but from factory I think they are supposed to be dry.

Also how did you test that the damper was bled properly, or was it just that it felt good on the trails?
Bushings need lube to work so I’m not sure if the lowers are supposed to be dry.

Cycling the damper with the lowers off gives a reasonable indication if there’s any air in there.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Bushings need lube to work so I’m not sure if the lowers are supposed to be dry.

Cycling the damper with the lowers off gives a reasonable indication if there’s any air in there.
Ah good to know should have checked mine while I had the lowers off. Good to know about the bushings I figured sliko would work on the bushings as well and there is plenty of that packed in the wiper seals. Either way I have found they are smoother with some fox 20 in the lowers so do that as soon as I get them.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

I've come across the fork being a grease lower system in a few places including Suntour somewhere. Easiest I could find is the NSMB article below.

Completely agree that they feel better with a bit of oil in the lowers.

"A few drops – about the size of a piece of small change if you dripped them on your work bench – is perfect. Suntour’s forks are technically lubed by grease (Slickoleum) but most riders find they feel a lot smoother for longer with a bit of oil in the lowers. Jeff recommends 10cc of full synthetic 0w30 per side. I’ve personally also had great experiences with Fox 20W Gold in the lowers of my Auron."

Cleverly

Likes Bikes

PTFE bushings work fine under dry operation, but can be improved with some fluid. Given that the fork has easy access ports into the lowers you don't even need to drop them to give them a bath in a liquid of your choice.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Not sure with the DS1 but my DS2 has three brass blocks in total. One on the inboard cable channel and two on the outboard, the second one on the outboard side doesn’t seem to have a purpose.
Correct on the extra. I haven't thought about it on the 2 cable installs I've done so far, but on this one I'll take it out and report the changes...

mtb1611

Seymour
Admittedly roadie, but......first puncture on a tubeless road wheel. Didn't realise it'd happened initially as it happened at the same time I was putting my bidon back in the cage so just assumed I'd squeezed the bidon as I'd put it back in and had sprayed water on my leg. Then looked down and saw the sealant everywhere.....virtually no pressure lost (only 10psi, checked when I got home), was impressed. Takes a while to clean that gunk off though once it's dried; less onerous than changing a tube though!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Admittedly roadie, but......first puncture on a tubeless road wheel. Didn't realise it'd happened initially as it happened at the same time I was putting my bidon back in the cage so just assumed I'd squeezed the bidon as I'd put it back in and had sprayed water on my leg. Then looked down and saw the sealant everywhere.....virtually no pressure lost (only 10psi, checked when I got home), was impressed. Takes a while to clean that gunk off though once it's dried; less onerous than changing a tube though!

View attachment 389205
Some people pay a lot of money for that style of paint job

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Walking is such an inefficient way to get around when you're used to the bike-life!
Ain't that the truth, been hiking around up the hill near woodend with my bung wrist... Slow going but at least you get to see the views rather than just zip past stuff at warp 7.
Walking also seems to attract 1000% more leeches up there.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
This is all getting a bit artsy isn't it! :D

Looks like a nice spot. :)

I looked wistfully at mine in the garage before I went for another shuffle around the local park. Walking is such an inefficient way to get around when you're used to the bike-life!
Must admit, quite surprised they're still a thing. Anyway, get on board.

Oh, and don't forget to upload the vid. I'll be over in the fw thread waiting.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Ain't that the truth, been hiking around up the hill near woodend with my bung wrist... Slow going but at least you get to see the views rather than just zip past stuff at warp 7.
Walking also seems to attract 1000% more leeches up there.
I still feel terrible for that, but all will soon be forgotten when I have to live with the shame of sending beeb to ICU.