What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I still feel terrible for that, but all will soon be forgotten when I have to live with the shame of sending beeb to ICU.
Given I'm out trying to "walk off" having randomly bulged a disc in my spine, I might err away from the rollerskate shoes for now.

Day three and I managed to do two 2km walks today. Given it took me about 15 minutes to walk half the length of my house while holding onto the walls on Thursday morning (it's not a big house FYI), I'm mighty pleased with my progress. I'm hoping in a few days time I might be able to sit and spin on the indoor trainer.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This is all getting a bit artsy isn't it! :D

Looks like a nice spot. :)

I looked wistfully at mine in the garage before I went for another shuffle around the local park. Walking is such an inefficient way to get around when you're used to the bike-life!
Indeed it is....... Running out of time today and the sun getting lower made it easy.

It is a fairly isolated spot in the middle of suburbia that you wouldn't know is there.

You still got out and walking is fine. We have a park across the road and few other not far which will be back in fashion if we have another soggy week :/

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Got out to Kalamunda again yesterday morning, and rather than do an XC loop and then up Gunjin I started at the bottom of Gunjin and went up, back down to the shuttle bay and then up again. First time I’ve gotten up twice which I’m happy about, particularly given how little walking I did and how done I was last week after doing a similar distance and less climbing

Also booked a trip down to Margaret River for a weekend at the start of June, can’t wait!

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Did they supply the new 2022/23 frame ?
No, they said there were none available but then someone found a 2020 V2 XXL frame in the Santa Cruz warehouse and I was offered that. I figured it was the best option I was likely to get and having waited so long I was happy to get anything. My original frame was a V1 so I look at it as an update anyway!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Hopefully they're lying in regard to this weekend's Canberra forecast; 3 days of riding booked in and the forecast is looking rather shite.
Looks OK until Thursday.

I fitted a kick stand (f'wit moment, didn't realise the direct mount bolt thread was in the stand, not the frame, much confusion for a few days until I figured it out) and I just love kickstands for commuting bikes, I don't like leaning my bike up against things.

Also mounted mirrors to both e-commuters, have never run mirrors on a bike before. Had to underneath mount them which seems to work pretty well, got these ones, I know one hanging off the end of the bar would have been a better field of vision but it would also just hit or catch on everything as per the rule of things hanging off handlebars. Mrs is very happy with her mirror, I put my small front light on as it's super easy to see the person behind if they have the light on.

I tuned Mrs bike too, a mate has the programming cable and I set up my old PC and did some config changes, mainly setting to 9 assist levels which kind of "unlocks" the higher assistance, when set to 5 levels (which is how they deliver it) it seems to just go to level 5 which in this case was only 60%, level 9 gives 100%. I also added 1 amp to the current limit, turns out these have a 20amp controller set to 15, so some room to move. There's also a "keep current" setting which keeps the current at a percentage when you reach a decent cadence, and this was set too low, much better now. I changed a throttle setting though and it seems to have affected the throttle delivering max power so will check that this arvo. We did this morning's commute in around 35 mins taking it a little bit easier on some bits, was very comfortable and Mrs motor still barely got warm so the settings aren't going to hurt anything, just use a bit more battery.

I have to give a shout to 99bikes, so I'll post it in the trusted/scammers thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I gave 2 of my bikes a wash. The good old detergent, bucket, and a banister brush on my driveway...they looked so shiny in the sun afterwards. Now to get one of them a little dirty again.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Still having some sore hand issues on a 45mm stem and found Nukeproof do a Horizon stem in 60mm. Rather that ordering off CRC I found Off The Brakes stock them so ordered one. Would have liked to buy from RNR locally but they don't stock them

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Came across our first very fast roadie since we started commuting together this morning. Passed him on the first climb on the Weston to City bike path, he gathered us up on the flat bit, then it was slightly torturous sitting behind him. As soon as it pointed upwards we're on his tail and having to back off our speed, he wasn't putting any distance on us and he really had to push to get in front, but he seemed intent on racing the e-bikes and Mrs' bike wasn't up to it so we let him lead, then he finally turned off about 5km before us.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Rotated a 0.5 chain onto my roadie the other day and discovered today that it had 2 cracked outer links, so into the bin it went. For those interested it was a KMC.

In my experience, the best chains for me have been

1. Wipperman. Excellent link and pin strength, I'm struggling to think of a single catastrophic failure. The bushings wear a but faster than YBN but seems to deal with less than ideal chain alignment and shifts better.
  2. YBN. Also excellent strength, although have had the odd popped pin. Excellent wear. Less forgiving of chain alignment and numpty gear changes.
  3. KMC. Good strength but have had the odd popped pin and cracked side plate. Good wear.
  4. Shimano. A few catastrophic failures. Otherwise good wear.

Also checked the cranks and BB while the chain was off. Both were fine. The Ultegra bbr60 must be going on 10 years and I have no idea how many 1000s of KMs, if anything it's at peak smoothness. Shimano's bearing OEM clearly knows their shit. The excellent sealing system undoubtedly helps too (take note Campag).

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited: