What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

scblack

Leucocholic
Rotated a 0.5 chain onto my roadie the other day and discovered today that it had 2 cracked outer links, so into the bin it went. For those interested it was a KMC.

In my experience, the best chains for me have been

1. Wipperman. Excellent link and pin strength, I'm struggling to think of a single catastrophic failure. The bushings wear a but faster than YBN but seems to deal with less than ideal chain alignment and shifts better.
  2. YBN. Also excellent strength, although have had the odd popped pin. Excellent wear. Less forgiving of chain alignment and numpty gear changes.
  3. KMC. Good strength but have had the odd popped pin and cracked side plate. Good wear.
  4. Shimano. A few catastrophic failures. Otherwise good wear.
Also checked the cranks and BB while the chain was off. Both were fine. The Ultegra bbr60 must be going on 10 years and I have no idea how many 1000s of KMs, if anything it's at peak smoothness. Shimano's bearing OEM clearly knows their shit. The excellent sealing system undoubtedly helps too (take note Campag).

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I know they are roadie, but how would Campagnolo sit in your ranking?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I know they are roadie, but how would Campagnolo sit in your ranking?
I've never run one of their chains or any other parts for that matter. I would be super surprised if they didn't use Wipperman as the OEM for the chains.

All I've seen are the Hambini installation videos of the cranks and they are a bit weird. The cranks themselves are things of beauty but the bearings have horrible draggy seals and relying on a spring washer for preload is asking for trouble.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
YBN. Also excellent strength, although have had the odd popped pin. Excellent wear. Less forgiving of chain alignment and numpty gear changes.
I just placed another order with Apex Imports for 3 more YBN SLA's, 2 x 12spd and 1 x 11spd.

That will be all my bikes now running these chains with 2 in hot wax rotation.

Going to do the top 400km of the Mawson next week on a hot waxed chain, will see how far I get before it needs some R'n'R.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yesterday was my first ride since last Tuesday due to the rainy weather and not wanting to head out onto trails that I knew would be muddy and covered with litter by Sunday. But a beautiful morning yesterday. So I headed over the ridge from Lenah Valley to Glenorchy and up the North South Track. As I expected, it was much drier; nicely tacky, in fact. When I arrived at the switch backs I stopped to take this photo as the scene appealed to me.
Note the light on the seat post. That signals the start of winter riding as I need to start in the half light to have enough time to get in a 1.5-2 hour ride before work. Tuesday was only an hour as I needed to be somewhere that a bike wasn't required a little earlier.
Anyway...always good to get out and clear the head to start the day.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Note the light on the seat post. That signals the start of winter riding as I need to start in the half light to have enough time to get in a 1.5-2 hour ride before work. Tuesday was only an hour as I needed to be somewhere that a bike wasn't required a little earlier.
Anyway...always good to get out and clear the head to start the day.
I envy you getting a ride in before work. I'd love to be able to do it, but I just live too far away from anything to make it do-able, particularly with young kids

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I envy you getting a ride in before work. I'd love to be able to do it, but I just live too far away from anything to make it do-able, particularly with young kids
I am a bit lucky in that the fire road I started on is only 1250 meters from home. Though the heavy trail tires make it feel like you are on Velcro while on the pavement. That's not a complaint; pleased to get out.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I am a bit lucky in that the fire road I started on is only 1250 meters from home. Though the heavy trail tires make it feel like you are on Velcro while on the pavement. That's not a complaint; pleased to get out.
Thats good. 45 minute drive to trail for me on a good day, plus getting back to work means I'm out 3 hours of my day

bear the bear

Is a real bear
..... but the bearings have horrible draggy seals and relying on a spring washer for preload is asking for trouble.

The bearings are things of beauty and are the smoothest I have ever run. The spring washer works with no issues.
The only downside is you need a long 10mm Allen wrench for the fixing bolt.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Found some of the South Hobart trails. Most of which are above my pay grade! Steep, super steep and very very raw. Good fun :)
They claim A LOT of riders. South Hobart has a rich history of ridiculous trail, lots of raw and badly built pallet jumps in the cascade brewery land.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The bearings are things of beauty and are the smoothest I have ever run. The spring washer works with no issues.
The only downside is you need a long 10mm Allen wrench for the fixing bolt.
But they are open on the inside face. If I removed the seals from a Shimano BBR60 they would run pretty sweet too... until they got contaminated.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
But they are open on the inside face. If I removed the seals from a Shimano BBR60 they would run pretty sweet too... until they got contaminated.

Agree it's their design philosophy. Works well with minimal maintenance (I think I touched mine 3 times in four years).
Caveat: I had a Campy SRM with the CULT bearings which are the higher grade. Having used the CULT bearings with the cranks and also a set of Bora wheels, they are worth the upgrade.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a short hour blast today. I stopped for a photo at the top of the slides. @Haakon you might want to check this out. If you drop down this and up the other side on Jurassic Shark, you will be near the start of Tip Top. Tip Top runs sort of parallel tho Golden Gully Fire Road where many of the South Hobart tracks drop from. Or you can head out to the main fire road and...
The top of the Slides is only 3.2 kms from the bottom of Brushy Creek Road over to Pottery Road. That's the RH turn by the bus stop across from the toilet block at the park along the creek.
Easy to find.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Just a short hour blast today. I stopped for a photo at the top of the slides. @Haakon you might want to check this out. If you drop down this and up the other side on Jurassic Shark, you will be near the start of Tip Top. Tip Top runs sort of parallel tho Golden Gully Fire Road where many of the South Hobart tracks drop from. Or you can head out to the main fire road and...
The top of the Slides is only 3.2 kms from the bottom of Brushy Creek Road over to Pottery Road. That's the RH turn by the bus stop across from the toilet block at the park along the creek.
Easy to find.
View attachment 389351
Cool, cheers. Im about 200m from the bus stop :)

I did go on a reccy up Brushy Creek Rd on the roadie the other day, didn't see any way through from the end - just a set of stairs from Beumont Place up to Pottery road. That hill will await my 30t oval chainring...

But yes, keen to get out to explore more. Dropping straight into the black runs probably wasnt the best intro :)