Little Things You Hate

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My wife’s mazda 3 wouldn’t start this afternoon. Battery is sweet (new), starter whirring away. I tested any fuse that looked related to the engine and they were fine. Best guess is fuel pump.

(Although she did just mention an hour later that ‘maybe’ she shifted out of park a bit early while the starter was still running)

15 years ago I would have dived into testing it, removing and replacing but nowadays I can’t be farked.

Will call a man, probably @Dales Cannon ‘guy.
Starter whirring, or starter turning the engine over? If the starter’s whirring but not turning the engine over it might be a stuck starter solenoid (on the starter itself). If it is this, you’ll sometimes get a “get out of jail free” start-up if you give the starter body a whack with a hammer while someone turns the key for you.

All the usual caveats about vehicle being safely supported, not in gear, wheels chocked and no parts of you that could get caught in anything if the engine does kick into life (belts/pulleys, etc…) apply.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Starter whirring, or starter turning the engine over? If the starter’s whirring but not turning the engine over it might be a stuck starter solenoid (on the starter itself). If it is this, you’ll sometimes get a “get out of jail free” start-up if you give the starter body a whack with a hammer while someone turns the key for you.
I remember having a bit of steel rod for that on my first Alfa (sorry @Haakon ) at uni. Bought me some time.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I have them, but I don't feel particularly keen on dropping a Subaru 2x5-sp. gearbox on my chest...
I’ve done it with a 2003 forester on Jack stands. Hideous job.

Two trolley jacks with a wood frame ratchet strapped to the gearbox.

Challenge is every second independent car workshop I know in Melbourne is down a man. Wait times are silly. Mates question if their seek ads are actually up, zero replies to ads.

Next Tuesday sounds pretty good

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Challenge is every second independent car workshop I know in Melbourne is down a man. Wait times are silly. Mates question if their seek ads are actually up, zero replies to ads.

It’s not just the independents either, dealerships are largely in the same boat.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I’ve done it with a 2003 forester on Jack stands. Hideous job.

Two trolley jacks with a wood frame ratchet strapped to the gearbox.

I did head gaskets and several starter motors on my previous Outback (and a starter on this one) without pulling the engine out. Starters are easy as, heads a hell of a mission.

moorey

call me Mia
I hadnt picked one up in over 10 years in favour of my phone and scrolling/swiping/clicking all on mindless shit. Was getting poor sleep and i figured id make some changes, including not using my phone in bed. Started reading again, immediately improved my sleep. Now i cant put em down again.
Pro tip though, use Pronhub if you want to avoid the articles.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Started reading again, immediately improved my sleep
I am a bit the same, I go through patches of heavy reading and then not reading for years. With this latest patch of reading I started reading ebooks but found I was still staying up very late, whereas reading a physical book and I get through one or two chapters and I am done. Amazing how much difference the device use makes to sleep habits, I mean I knew about it but to see it in myself is something else.