Confessions from the fuckwits

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Trying to recall my McLeod as I think it’s a similar setup. Sounds about right as you don’t want a spacer to floating around. Sounds like a plan. Only half a f-wit! ;)
Yeah would have been much worse if it was the other way around. From everything I've read the internals and service procedure are very similar to the McLeod which I have heard very good things about.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Is your arm tension wrench the same brand as your thumb pressure gauge?
Nope, it doesn't have some random bloke half undo the bolt then check the tension so he can brag about it on the internet.

You do you though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
To be honest I just do the pinch bolts up to F-T and haven't had any issues with the stock setup either. But good to know they work.
I only I stalled them because of the ever so slight chance that the part came loose on trail. I'd likely never be riding around with that specific tool, but an 8mm hex key? Always.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Spent fking ages putting heat shrink on the cables to satisfy my OCD for a new bike build. I didn't have a lighter to shrink it so I thought a candle would be a good idea. Worked a treat until all the hot wax ran out and stuck to the fork stanchion like shit to a blanket. Then I spent 30 minutes getting the wax off and I'm still too scared to compress the fork in case there is residual wax that will ruin the seals.

The icing on the cake is that the fancy heat shrink cables don't allow cable movement so every time I turn the handlebars left the gear cable pops out. The cables also squeak in the heat shrink just to add another layer of shart to my life goals.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm just learning Sturmey Archer hubs, changed the Mrs rear sprocket to 17t, it didn't have enough purchase on the dropout so needed a tad more chain length and gearing is better now with the motor.

Get the wheel out, look at the sprocket without my glasses and think do I need some sort of weird tool for this? Texted a mate, he said look for the split ring, and then I watched a Youtube video, sprocket off, new one fitted. I fit the wheel back on the bike, get everything just right, then I try to join the little indicator chain that pulls the gears and it's at 90 degrees to where it should be and won't move freely like it should. Wheel off, sprocket off and on again to no avail, fuck around for 10 minutes, end up rotating the sprocket forward which allows the internal pin to slip back into a slot where it now rotates freely.

Fit the wheel, adjust the v-brakes, all looks good then my Mrs looks and asks why the axle alignment washer is facing backwards, it seems to be bottoming out on the end of the dropout. I take a closer look and the wheel looks straight but is a tiny bit off centre. Grrr.

That's not all. We're riding yesterday and the crank bolt flies out of Mrs left crank at about 30km/h. She notices, we pull over, and she actually finds the thing within 5 mins or so in the recently mown grass by the bike path! I bolt check both sets of cranks (lucky had a multi tool that came with the new bike, however it's made of potato and bent a little doing up the crank bolts), these Bafang cranks tighten down more than you expect and seem to have bedded in over the 160km she's done on it.

I go out to buy a stand, t's a bolt on one and my bike has the 40mm spaced holes for it. Get it home, go to attach it, the bolt holes are just holes, no thread, meaning the bolts are too short. I bought the stand about 100m from where I get bolts, of course I had no bolts of the right length and pitch in my stash, so I'm going back today to buy the bolts and some matching nuts.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Installed new brake pads, couldn't understand why they were so rattly. I forgot to put the spring in.
Brakes, that reminds me, a confession for my friend:

The old chestnut of having the syringe attached to one caliper and the other syringe/cup attached to the non-corresponding lever.

Dot fluid oozed out of the still sealed lever.
At least he didn't explode dot fluid all over his apartment, body and bike.

I told him he was the only person ever to have done such a thing... Lol.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Brakes, that reminds me, a confession for my friend:

The old chestnut of having the syringe attached to one caliper and the other syringe/cup attached to the non-corresponding lever.

Dot fluid oozed out of the still sealed lever.
At least he didn't explode dot fluid all over his apartment, body and bike.

I told him he was the only person ever to have done such a thing... Lol.
I did similar earlier, went to check if my batteries were charged for my lights. Have to plug in the light and turn it on to see the battery status (or connect it to a charger). Only had one battery and one light in the box. Plugged it in. Nothing. Disconnected and reconnected. Still nothing. Brain: "WTF?" Pulled the battery and light out to check over further - and yep, I'd just plugged in only one end of the spare extension loom that was also in the box. :rolleyes: