Confessions from the fuckwits

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have one that involves the Mrs. We're riding to work yesterday and there's an almighty crack sound, followed by some shrapnel that's the same color as Mrs bike flying up in the air (I was behind), we both thought she'd run over something plastic. We get another 50m up the road and there's a rubbing noise coming from the wheel, we stop and I take a look, and the mudguard has broken in half right across the mounting bolt on the seat stay. There are little metal clips that hold the cable in place for the rear light mounted on the underside of the guard, three of those have been ripped off which was the flying shrapnel.

Bad luck? Not quite. When Mrs got the bike, she didn't want me to tighten the noisy guard as she liked having some noise when approaching other path users so she put over a thousand kays on it rattling like crazy. Little did we realise this was slowly cracking the guard right across, and when I put the new kit on which involved removing the back wheel I tightened it up arguing that Mrs has a bell and that's better than a noisy bike. A couple of hundred km's later and snap! Remember folks, loose bolts take lives!

PJO

in me vL comy
I have one that involves the Mrs. We're riding to work yesterday and there's an almighty crack sound, followed by some shrapnel that's the same color as Mrs bike flying up in the air (I was behind), we both thought she'd run over something plastic. We get another 50m up the road and there's a rubbing noise coming from the wheel, we stop and I take a look, and the mudguard has broken in half right across the mounting bolt on the seat stay. There are little metal clips that hold the cable in place for the rear light mounted on the underside of the guard, three of those have been ripped off which was the flying shrapnel.

Bad luck? Not quite. When Mrs got the bike, she didn't want me to tighten the noisy guard as she liked having some noise when approaching other path users so she put over a thousand kays on it rattling like crazy. Little did we realise this was slowly cracking the guard right across, and when I put the new kit on which involved removing the back wheel I tightened it up arguing that Mrs has a bell and that's better than a noisy bike. A couple of hundred km's later and snap! Remember folks, loose bolts take lives!

View attachment 388306
Lucky it was the rear. Worse if the front snapped and jammed into the fork = OTB

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

View attachment 388306
Very quick first look and I thought it was a Yeti seat tube...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Dear lord, how could you ride with that? Card on the spokes, or new clicky hub time.
Oh that brings me back. Piece cut out of the plastic lid of an ice cream tub, man we used to make some noise down the street!
IKR, I love silent bikes, it really annoyed me! Plus she had an occy strap on there at the time, which had a little tag, which did the card on the spokes sound, again "I like people hearing me". This morning though, "oh, it's so quiet, much better"...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
IKR, I love silent bikes, it really annoyed me! Plus she had an occy strap on there at the time, which had a little tag, which did the card on the spokes sound, again "I like people hearing me". This morning though, "oh, it's so quiet, much better"...
Did you point out that you've been able to buy bells since before Jesus was born?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
As per my Q in the quick Q thread, wondered why my RS spring fitted the fox shock perfectly despite 3mm ID difference between the brands.

To my eye, it’s a Rockshox spring….but nope, it’s either a fox knockoff, or one branded differently to all my others. Scratches and bad eyes don’t help.

Foxshox? Really? Doh.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
As per my Q in the quick Q thread, wondered why my RS spring fitted the fox shock perfectly despite 3mm ID difference between the brands.

To my eye, it’s a Rockshox spring….but nope, it’s either a fox knockoff, or one branded differently to all my others. Scratches and bad eyes don’t help.

Foxshox? Really? Doh.

View attachment 388366
I’d love to say I was surprised right now.

Yeah, I’d really love to say that. :p

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I’m surprised you didn’t.
I’ve had a few too many and cannot follow the subtext. I quit for this evening.

On topic for the thread though, I put some washing in the machine this morning on timer delay - including my bike kit. Got home from work, and started pulling clothes out to wash…

“What the f***?”

Turns out I put my goggles through the wash as well. :oops:

They were surprisingly undamaged!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
More of a place holder, as somehow today I managed to build up a FuelEX from parts in the shed, including XT brakes with too short lines, so swapped the rear to the front and used an old longer line from the spares for the rear, cut lines, put a new line into the caliper at the rear, used a fork with just enough steerer to have a slammed stem (thank gawd for 30mm rise bars!), a 1x10 drivetrain from at least 2014 and a dropper that hasn't seen any action or insertion for years.

The biggest bitsa I've built so far, and yet the brake bedding in process went smoothly, the gears shifted well and there wasn't even an errant noise around...

I'm worried!

First real ride as soon as the Sydney trails are dry, so maybe 2024 at this point!

smaj

Likes Dirt
Riding along, saw some kangaroo poo, thought I'd missed it, hadn't. Got to the top of the climb and it'd flicked up onto the seat somehow, and I'd sat on it the whole way up and squished it into every crevice of the f-ing saddle. Needless to say, I've gone the nuclear option on the washing machine. Bike was due for a proper clean anyway :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Riding along, saw some kangaroo poo, thought I'd missed it, hadn't. Got to the top of the climb and it'd flicked up onto the seat somehow, and I'd sat on it the whole way up and squished it into every crevice of the f-ing saddle. Needless to say, I've gone the nuclear option on the washing machine. Bike was due for a proper clean anyway :)
You put your bike in the washing machine?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Kangaroo poo? Seriously? You can smoke it. Probably kill you but you could smoke it.