Russia Vs. America; Here we go again kids!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
just found out that the Ruskies have destroyed the AN-225 Antinov....fuckers!
think of all the quiz questions that are going to have to re-written
I saw something written by an aviation boffin on that topic. Apparently there was only one 225 in existence, but it's also going to affect the rest of the huge cargo aeroplane universe because no service and spares now, meaning yet more logistics pain. He was saying the Antinovs are the only way to transport certain large items by air.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I saw something written by an aviation boffin on that topic. Apparently there was only one 225 in existence, but it's also going to affect the rest of the huge cargo aeroplane universe because no service and spares now, meaning yet more logistics pain. He was saying the Antinovs are the only way to transport certain large items by air.
we had an AN-124 at work earlier in the week, and that is a big plane, but the 225 is so much bigger again!
they do have a second 225 partially completed, they are now looking at the prospect of finally completing it after so many years of it sitting around

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
Not Q&A but - what?

Frankly as soon as anyone uses the word "woke", I have a tendency to instantly write them off and everything they say...
woke is more in the pop culture/entertainment area than anything else, though there is a bit of woke politics happening but the term "Woke" mostly happens in/around the entertainment area but over recent months "Wokeness" in this area is getting rejected and movies that have a "Woke" leaning to them are starting to fail whilst movies that treat the source material with more respect tend to do better.

It's a really complicated subject matter really but it will simply take too long to explain if you haven't really been paying attention.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Interesting opinion on the current situation on the ground. As someone who has never been in the military it's interesting to hear from someone who has been involved in something like this. I haven't looked too much into his credentials but on the surface it seems like a balanced analysis and puts into perspective a lot of what we have been seeing and reading recently.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Does anyone understand Putin's Nazi claims about Ukraine? I'd be keen for a good source explaining it.
To be clear, I'm not expecting it to be valid, or trying to give it credibility. Just wanting to understand why it seems to be a common claim from that side?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Does anyone understand Putin's Nazi claims about Ukraine? I'd be keen for a good source explaining it.
To be clear, I'm not expecting it to be valid, or trying to give it credibility. Just wanting to understand why it seems to be a common claim from that side?
I agree, WTAF?

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
from my vague understanding there's complaints that Ukraine is running a nationalist agenda that appears to be promoting some anti Russian sentiment.

haven't looked more closely at it myself but that seems to be the jist of it iirc

danncam

Likes Dirt
This is a good insight for a start.
Seems there is some recent historical reasons the Nazi trope persists

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
What makes it funnier is that zelenskiy is a Jew.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
This is a good insight for a start.
Seems there is some recent historical reasons the Nazi trope persists
Thanks. I skimmed that earlier today, but it does have a few interesting points.

ABC article said:
"I don't want gay prides here like they have in Kiev," one woman says.
"Why should I run away from my territory?" asks another. "So that Nazis can live here?"
This was confusing as hell.

But then this other part at least gives some historical context.

ABC article said:
In part, it was a reference to World War II, when Ukrainian extremists led by Stepan Bandera sided with Nazi Germany to try to win independence from the Soviet Union. But the Azov Regiment has been a handy update for the narrative.

Azov emerged in 2014 from a collection of often violent ultranationalists who joined peaceful democrats in the Maidan protests against the pro-Russian government. Russia portrayed the uprising as a Nazi coup and armed and supported separatists in Donbas.
All it takes is some tiny grain of truth they can twist into propaganda I guess.