The Tool Thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Can anyone recommend a my first socket set. It won't be used every day and I only need metric sizes.
There is a total tools in canning Vale, the into Force kits are great value for money. Having said that any of the home brands are likely ok. I have all sorts from Force to old Sid home, Gedore, Snap On, Bluepoint, KC and so on. All have been OK.

Last edited:

K.C.

Likes Dirt
kincrome lok on can do rusted or slightly rounded bolt/nuts
go for 3/8 set they are generally smaller and better for tight spots.
don't forget a breaker bar to suit, those ratchet that comes with set are usually too short to crack tight bolt/nut

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have a set of 30yr old Gedore 1/2" deep sockets, bought as single sockets in 10mm to 22mm.

They haven't changed the design in 30yrs, still got them all in perfect condition.

They told me buy well, buy once... seems 'they' were right. Wouldnt fancy buying the set of 12 now at ~$50 a socket.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
kincrome lok on can do rusted or slightly rounded bolt/nuts
go for 3/8 set they are generally smaller and better for tight spots.
don't forget a breaker bar to suit, those ratchet that comes with set are usually too short to crack tight bolt/nut
If you want to use it on bike stuff , you may need 6, 7 , 8 mm as well which you can buy separately but may be 1/4 drive.
As a breaker bar I usually use some thick orange electrical conduit over the handle.
When all else fails WD40 + a rubber hammer.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Bahco make some great kits that are well priced
This. I've got a Bahco set that has worked well for years. Check out total tools or hardware and general.

The Wera sets in Amazon are well priced for very nice tools.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Is it just me, or do others also feel compelled to cause significant harm to those that refer to Kinchrome as KingChrome o_O

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you want to use it on bike stuff , you may need 6, 7 , 8 mm as well which you can buy separately but may be 1/4 drive with three people on the extension..
As a breaker bar I usually use some thick orange electrical conduit over the handle.
When all else fails WD40 + a rubber hammer.
Back in uni days, undoing the propshaft yoke on an Eaton truck diff. Huge thing 58,000lb or something, truck pulled massive floats. Anyway 1" drive socket with breaker bar and maybe 3m of scaffold as an extension. BAAANNNGGGG! Nut let go but socket and breaker bar exploded. BIL put the bits in the ute drove to town, got new for old and came home. Lifetime warranty. They didn't care how it was being abused.

Edit: This was nothing on how many pieces a Gedore 36mm inhex socket can become with 3 burly riggers on the extension.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
And yet KC Tools told me to go suck a lemon on anything broken in a socket set with “lifetime warranty, unconditional”

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
And yet KC Tools told me to go suck a lemon on anything broken in a socket set with “lifetime warranty, unconditional”
Pretty common with a lot of brands with sockets sadly. Seen so many cracked impact sockets knocked back because of this.

Ironically the best-surviving sockets I see in the workshop (even with unapproved regular use on impact tools) is the standard Kinchrome 12-point sockets. Holy smokes they must be made of tough stuff. Their ratchets were (and possibly still are) shit though. Low POE and sloppy ratchet mechanism.

Bahco make good stuff for basic hand tools, not so cheap they’re dangerous but not just paying for a brand name either. 6-point sockets annoy me but can be useful for applications where corrosion is common as you’re less likely to round fasteners off. Flip side is, if you own 6-point sockets and come across a 12-point fastener you’re shit outta luck!

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Pretty common with a lot of brands with sockets sadly. Seen so many cracked impact sockets knocked back because of this.

Ironically the best-surviving sockets I see in the workshop (even with unapproved regular use on impact tools) is the standard Kinchrome 12-point sockets. Holy smokes they must be made of tough stuff. Their ratchets were (and possibly still are) shit tough. Low POE and sloppy ratchet mechanism.

Bahco make good stuff for basic hand tools, not so cheap they’re dangerous but not just paying for a brand name either. 6-point sockets annoy me but can be useful for applications where corrosion is common as you’re less likely to round fasteners off. Flip side is, if you own 6-point sockets and come across a 12-point fastener you’re shit outta luck!
One can never own just one type though

1/2”.
3/8”.
1/4”.
6 point
12 point
Impact grade.
Deep.
Short
Sacrificial, ground/turned down to fit and brazed onto a lump of fugly steel for that one off pita job

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One can never own just one type though

1/2”.
3/8”.
1/4”.
6 point
12 point
Impact grade.
Deep.
Short
Sacrificial, ground/turned down to fit and brazed onto a lump of fugly steel for that one off pita job
Add:
3/4"
Spline
e-Torx

...and you've about listed the variants I own.