Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Also choice is what we as humans want. Meaning of the shit we buy is subjective. It makes us feel good (most of the time).
So....consume with abandon? Not having kids is paying off :p
Not quite. Absolutely be comfortable in not adding to the population problem, but still do your bit to contribute in some small way at least to damage control.

Humanity might survive it in the long run if its lucky, and some species will for sure survive it long enough to seed the next however millions of years of evolution on this planet. But most wont. We have had 5 extinction events on Earth before, there will be another reset after this one and life will crank on in a new form.

Its a shame so many very very cool species will die because of our actions.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Not quite. Absolutely be comfortable in not adding to the population problem, but still do your bit to contribute in some small way at least to damage control.

Humanity might survive it in the long run if its lucky, and some species will for sure survive it long enough to seed the next however millions of years of evolution on this planet. But most wont. We have had 5 extinction events on Earth before, there will be another reset after this one and life will crank on in a new form.

Its a shame so many very very cool species will die because of our actions.
I am being a little tonge in cheek.

I do try.

Can I hold people having kids (the single largest contribution to killing the planet) against them though?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Maldives 2018
It's meant to be the Pacific Islands.

I reckon the world will long destruct before climate control takes its toll, there'll be wars over things like water and food supplies, we can't keep on breeding at the rate we're going without having a large impact on the natural environment.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I reckon the world will long destruct before climate control takes its toll, there'll be wars over things like water and food supplies
I see this I my dreams. I legit have a recurring apocalyptic dream since I saw T2.

Sometimes I see the flash. I "feel" the heat in my dream and think to myself "ah fuck" then everything goes white. Sometimes it feels like forever before I wake up. That period in the white space is really confusing and disconcerting. I feel gratefull when I wake up.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... buy Elon some time to sort out the Mars colony...
The Mars thing really cracks me up.

Just how fucked would the Earth have to be before Mars became a viable alternative? Has anyone taken a look at Mars lately (like in the last billion years)? I can't imagine any scenario where it would be easier to survive on Mars (or any other planet in our solar system) than it would be to survive on Earth, no matter how much climate change has occured.

Of course, the argument for Mars seems to be as a stepping stone for the stars but once again, has anyone checked out how far away the nearest star is (let alone the nearest star with a habitable planet). It's just not going to happen short of some sort of re-write of the laws of physics.

TLDR: stop fucking the planet (indeed reverse the fucking), it's the only one we've got.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Just how fucked would the Earth have to be before Mars became a viable alternative? Has anyone taken a look at Mars lately (like in the last billion years)? I can't imagine any scenario where it would be easier to survive on Mars (or any other planet in our solar system) than it would be to survive on Earth, no matter how much climate change has occured.

Of course, the argument for Mars seems to be as a stepping stone for the stars but once again, has anyone checked out how far away the nearest star is (let alone the nearest star with a habitable planet). It's just not going to happen short of some sort of re-write of the laws of physics.

TLDR: stop fucking the planet (indeed reverse the fucking), it's the only one we've got.
It’s more about not keeping our eggs in one basket. An insurance policy if you like.

It’s not an either or situation with trying to keep earth habitable - as you say, Mars will be a hard sell on livability for a while yet!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It's just not going to happen short of some sort of re-write of the laws of physics.
a rewrite of physics or at the very least a new discovery that changes our understanding is exactly what physicicsts are hoping for. If aliens exist and those UFOs recorded in the skies are extra terrestrial, then traveling to another planet, perhaps even one that is habitable for us isnt out of the question.

But yes, in the meantime we should stop fucking the planet.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yup. It's another dick measuring excercise, be the first human to "colonise" another planet. It's fanciful to believe we may ever travel light years away, and there is nowhere in our system that is habitable for humans, plants and animals which are all required for us to survive.

Fuck billionaires! (please watch until at least 3:30)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yup. It's another dick measuring excercise, be the first human to "colonise" another planet. It's fanciful to believe we may ever travel light years away, and there is nowhere in our system that is habitable for humans, plants and animals which are all required for us to survive.

Fuck billionaires! (please watch until at least 3:30)
NASA just returned a crew in one of space-x's capsules after 200 days in space. I think billionaires putting money into space travel and colonisation is a good use of their resources, measuring contest or not. It democratises future space travel and has furthered advances in this field faster than governments have in the prior 30 years.

I remember thniking electric cars were a stupid idea, and 20 years ago, the technology of the time supported that view.

Imagine we discover some new physics concepts that allow us to explore light years away but no one has proven the capability to colonise another harsher planet. We'd be 50 years behind at that point.