COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
To be fair, that’s just running.
I gave it a go last year in lieu of being able to do much else for exercise.

Didn't hate it - I mean it's boring af but just get a good podcast or audiobook going and it's surprisingly tolerable. Really good endorphins afterwards too.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Thing's I'll never know I guess, I always seem to jarr my ankle about 100m in.

Anyway, on topic (OMG right?) - I'm actually hoping for a lockdown at this point. Give us a week-long "circuit-breaker" lockdown rather than another multi-month abortion like last year and get on top of this A.S.A.P.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Lies. Stop lying, you liar.
Lies make baby Jesus cry. So unlike some people who continually promote stupid Jesus movies I would never do it.

Anyway, on topic (OMG right?) - I'm actually hoping for a lockdown at this point. Give us a week-long "circuit-breaker" lockdown rather than another multi-month abortion like last year and get on top of this A.S.A.P.
May your wish be granted...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
May your wish be granted...
Anyone else noticed the change in the majority of the reporting this go round, where they're not reporting daily case numbers but the cumulative cases of the outbreak? Seems weird to me, but at least it's getting people more realistically concerned I guess...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I was expecting this. Every bloody time I make plans to go back home there is a lockdown and the trip gets canned...

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

I was expecting this. Every bloody time I make plans to go back home there is a lockdown and the trip gets canned...
Yeah I'm all for it. But 7 days only.

Got a boozey camping trip Queen's birthday weekend that we've been doing every year since 1993.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Why not just shut down sport audiences until we're on top of this?

Seems that someone travelling from SA to celebrate some men kicking a ball around are the root cause of this?
From what I've read it was a failure in SA quarantine - someone caught it in an SA Hotel, cleared the test, tested positive here then gave it to 3-4 people - one of whom then ran around for a week or so while symptomatic.

Also, as much fun as it is to pile on organised sport - outside venues (such as stadiums) would be a pretty low risk of transmission imo.

moorey

call me Mia
Also, as much fun as it is to pile on organised sport - outside venues (such as stadiums) would be a pretty low risk of transmission imo.
The issue for me is the pass that major sports and sports people are given.
Even when we knew there were new cases a few days ago, and they had been linked to large sporting venues, there was an immediate announcement that the MCG would still be hosting the footy with crowds.
It’s a bad look when businesses and individuals are seen to suffer while sportsball doesn’t.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My understanding is that to enter the MCG (or similar) you have to sign in - instant way of being able to track attendees, and the big advantage stadiums have over basically all other events from bike races to ANZAC Day marches.

As for businesses, personally my track record of signing in to everywhere I've been has been terrible - can't imagine many people would be hitting 100%

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with @moorey (I'm also a casual AFL fan)
They should never have gone to full capacity or even close when the international borders were going to be opened up to places like UK, India etc.
There was always going to be more outbreaks and will continue to be.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
To be fair, the idea of doing manual labour all day while wearing a mask sounds like an absolute ****

At the height of lockdown last year I tried going for a run with a mask on. Made it 3kms before I genuinely considered dying.
It's a doddle. C**ts just need to harden up - I was rocking the full face coverings at work years before it became 'trendy'. Admittedly that was to keep the flies out of my mouth and to stop my jawline becoming noticeably darker than the rest of my body whcich is normally clad in overalls, hard hat etc. but it's easy as. We also don't get a choice when it comes to a lot of confined space work.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm getting that feeling of deja-vu all over again. I was out here (offshore NT) last year when it all went pear-shaped in VIC which meant that if I travelled home, I would not be able to get back. Same thing is happening again and the most maddening thing has been watching the authorities in Vic fucking hand-wringing and dragging their feet over lockdown when almost every outbreak since last years debacle has been nipped in the bud with a short-sharp circuit breaker lockdown.
How come it's taken till Thursday to get any serious action when we've been aware since the weekend that there's been untracked community transmission for over a week AND that the footy and a Saturday night pub crawl down are both Tier 1 exposure sites!?

moorey

call me Mia
My understanding is that to enter the MCG (or similar) you have to sign in - instant way of being able to track attendees, and the big advantage stadiums have over basically all other events from bike races to ANZAC Day marches.
Tracing isn’t going to be possible if 80,000 people attend the MCG then spend a couple of days out in the public (and interstate) and there’s an outbreak.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
7 Day lockdown - usual 4 reasons to leave home. Exercise 2 hour limit 5km from home with one other person allowed.

Extra reason to leave home now to get vaccinated - now available to those over 40.

moorey

call me Mia
7 Day lockdown - usual 4 reasons to leave home. Exercise 2 hour limit 5km from home with one other person allowed.

Extra reason to leave home now to get vaccinated - now available to those over 40.
Just booked the AZ earlier being 50 now...then they lower to 40 and could probably have got Pfizer....
Dang it. Meh.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Tracing isn’t going to be possible if 80,000 people attend the MCG then spend a couple of days out in the public (and interstate) and there’s an outbreak.
Except that's not how seating works in a stadium. You don't sit next to all 80,000 people. you've got set paths in and out to your block and with allocated seating, you can pinpoint exactly who is most at risk around you.

Don't get me wrong, I think the intentions that were made earlier in the week that the AFL could still carry on in VIC with crowds at 85% capacity in spite of the weekend's exposures were absolutely f***ing ludicrous but having large outdoor stadium events when there was no reported community transmission isn't being reckless. Going to Chadstone (or Highpoint in this case) on a Saturday arvo is a far riskier prospect.