Which bike should I buy?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
$3.5k is still good value in today’s market.
Bit too steep for my liking. Remember the market is munted and even parts are hard to get. I built a bike during late covid lockdown and it was terrible relative to the other times I've done a build.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
So what you're telling us is that the hobo that hangs out at the Buninyong bus stop gave great bang for the buck wristies, then jacked up ;) his prices, and you aren't feeling twice as satisfied. Allegedly.
It's a real seller's market. The better he gets, the more he can charge, and the less time it takes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I do like the look of that Stanton that @Asininedrivel posted, although I do have a problem with buying a bike I cannot at least sit on first to check that it's the right size for me. The inability to walk into a shop and even lay eyes on a bike that I'd like to buy is even more infuriating than proprietary standards.

I've only ever owned one steel frame and it was an anchor. I've been aiming at Al, Ti or carbon. Should I be putting steel into the mix as well?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I do like the look of that Stanton that @Asininedrivel posted, although I do have a problem with buying a bike I cannot at least sit on first to check that it's the right size for me. The inability to walk into a shop and even lay eyes on a bike that I'd like to buy is even more infuriating than proprietary standards.

I've only ever owned one steel frame and it was an anchor. I've been aiming at Al, Ti or carbon. Should I be putting steel into the mix as well?
I think so.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The steel is real. The few steel frames I've r owned haven't been heavier than similar style frames.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

I'd be curious to see the weight difference in the same frame geo and build strength steel vs aluminium. I really doubt it'd make as much of a difference as some people think. Steel is heavier, but its also stronger and doesn't need to be as thick for the same strength.

And then you get the rigidity, aluminium basically doesn't flex, where steel has a little bit of compliance. It doesn't make it like suspension, but it does take a little edge off sharp chatter. I was a sceptic till I rode a decent steel hardtail, there's definitely something to it.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A good steel frame will typically gain a few hundred grams over an equivalent strength aluminium frame. Small penalty for the improved ride quality IMO.

PJO

in me vL comy
If you've been watching Hardtail Party on YouTube he has been reviewing the Ragley Big Al and Big Wig. Identical in Geo but different frame material. The steel Big Wig is 1.5 pounds heavier than the Big Al.
Only time a steel frame is as light as aluminium is when the more expensive steel alloys are used. Your standard CrMo frame will be heavier. Whether you notice it when riding is up for debate...

Minlak

custom titis
Had a Trans-Am in steel - sold it - later bought the Torrent and wished I kept the AM - Nothing do with Geo or rideability I loved the Torrent too - The steel had less trail chatter - so was super excited when they started offering the Torrent in steel.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had a Trans-Am in steel - sold it - later bought the Torrent and wished I kept the AM - Nothjnbbtk do with Geo or rideablity I loved the Torrent to - The steel had less trail chatter - so was super excited when they started offering the Torrent in steel.
You need another new bike. Been hours since you ordered one.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Surely a Kona Honzo is in the sweet spot for your requirements?
I reckon a dually is too expensive to keep running for commuting/towing duties.

I've had super expensive carbon bikes, alloy bikes and now a steel bike.
I'm sold on steel

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Should I be putting steel into the mix as well?
As others here have said: yes.

A steel hardtail is probably the most versatile bike you can buy imo. Doubt you'd notice the extra weight over alloy, and the other advantage is even cheap shitty steel frames I've ridden still have great compliance.