Which bike should I buy?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
no, picasso was spanish -that kind of comment will get you shot in italy.......it’s a 4km 3:56 orgasm, 10:00min+ in moorey’ s case, if his heart could hold out that long, which i doubt
Some of those 80s/90s Cinelli pursuit and kilo track bikes had beautiful lines, especially with the smoothed gusset welds like this has.
Reverse mullet from the funny bike era. triathlon style aero bars changed everything.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
@johnny if you hate shit proprietary standards, Banshee is the way to go. I've been able to avoid F@#$%@King b**st and pre$$fit by having Banshee frames :)
Threaded BBs and modular rear dropouts FTW.
That and he’ll never break one.
Super solid bikes. Phantom would be a great buy.

moorey

call me Mia
That and he’ll never break one.
Super solid bikes. Phantom would be a great buy.
I think he’ll end up wanting to do more that a phantom is suited to.
Love my phantom, running it 27.5 with a bit longer fork and 165 cranks. It doesn’t really do anything better than my spitty, but there’s plenty it doesn’t do as well IMHO.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Love my phantom, running it 27.5 with a bit longer fork and 165 cranks. It doesn’t really do anything better than my spitty, but there’s plenty it doesn’t do as well IMHO.
Has a Remedy, wants something for XC/Trail and commuting... how would another 140mm/27.5 bike (Spitfire) be any different to just using the Remedy?

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
@johnny if you hate shit proprietary standards, Banshee is the way to go. I've been able to avoid F@#$%@King b**st and pre$$fit by having Banshee frames :)
Threaded BBs and modular rear dropouts FTW.
+1 for the Banshee's. I saved a bomb just by avoiding boost & picking up shocks on run-out. Threaded BB, choice of dropouts & wheel sizes, and an amazing bike to ride. IIRC I built my Spitty for right about 4k, all new and no scrimping. I'd do it again just the same.

I've towed trailers on a dually before without too much issue. I fashioned up a bracket to bolt onto the disc brake mounts to hold the mounting pin, which worked well, although I think that was more to do with the axle type (not QR) than the dual suspension part. Choice in parts / standards & an alloy frame are going to give you a lot more options in trailer hitch styles, which may be worth keeping in mind.

What about a Paradox? I'm trying to convince myself I don't need one at the moment, but I feel it's a losing argument.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them

I'd remembered $2400, but looks like I was wrong. That frame also didn't arrive with an RT3 but an RC3 instead, so extra value I guess?

Add to that the cost of the Mattoc's at $571 and that bike was a steal. The same bike would probably cost near 6k now I guess.

ForkinGreat

maybe so. mine's the 2017, designed for 120mm fork and 105mm shock travel. Short travel burly xc/trail 29er
The V3 Phantom is designed around a 140mm fork and 115mm shock, AFAIK, which is closer to the older Spitfire's travel, at least in the fork.

The Phantom is a 29er though, so it would roll better with 29er wheels.
what fork travel are you running?

moorey

call me Mia
maybe so. mine's the 2017, designed for 120mm fork and 105mm shock travel. Short travel burly xc/trail 29er
The V3 Phantom is designed around a 140mm fork and 115mm shock, AFAIK, which is closer to the older Spitfire's travel, at least in the fork.

The Phantom is a 29er though, so it would roll better with 29er wheels.
what fork travel are you running?
Mostly true. Everyone runs 160 fork on a spitty though.
$3.5k is still good value in today’s market.
Reminds me of the hobo at the bus stop that gave great wristies to regulars on the cheap, then became more popular, doubled his price, and didn’t to twice as good a job...
Allegedly.

ForkinGreat

Mostly true. Everyone runs 160 fork on a spitty though.
Reminds me of the hobo at the bus stop that gave great wristies to regulars on the cheap, then became more popular, doubled his price, and didn’t to twice as good a job...
Allegedly.
So what you're telling us is that the hobo that hangs out at the Buninyong bus stop gave great bang for the buck wristies, then jacked up ;) his prices, and you aren't feeling twice as satisfied. Allegedly.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Mostly true. Everyone runs 160 fork on a spitty though...
This. 160mm all the way on the Spitty.

But, on a 29er you can get away with less fork travel. I tried a 29er front wheel with 130mm fork and it felt similar to 26" and 160mm (until you really sent it and then that extra 30mm of travel was pure magic for the wrists).