Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Albo is on tele and reiterating his suggestion of holding a referendum for constitutional recognition of Aboriginal Australians on Jan 26th effectively keeping the date but changing the reason.

I'm not sold on it, doing that on Feb 13th to align with the apology would be more respectful and actually change the reason.

The sooner people come to grips with the fact the 26th marks an invasion, establishing a penal colony, and is in no way a reason to celebrate, the better.

safreek

I'm happy where it is now, if you want to change it I'm happy with that. Makes no difference in my life.
More interested in why Kerry O'Brien is such a self centred Wanker about Margie.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm happy where it is now, if you want to change it I'm happy with that. Makes no difference in my life.
More interested in why Kerry O'Brien is such a self centred Wanker about Margie.
Because she’s a disgusting human who thinks that only biblical options matter...even the contradictory ones.

edit. I’m not equating your ambivalence to ignorance, I also have no attachment to the date, but I fully recognize that it does to many, so it’s not about me.

Last edited:

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because she’s a disgusting human who thinks that only biblical options matter...even the contradictory ones.
god doesnt make mistakes when he made you gender X. then why did he make me feel like gender Y? to me her position on this is more proof for the non existence of the god she thinks of than the babel fish. maybe not all gods, but certainly the one she likes to portray

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
None of the aforementioned dates will cut it with the Indigenous. They are all dates when “white man” did something here, and without researching it, I doubt Aboriginals even had a calendar before Europeans arrived. Why would they want to celebrate a day with no cultural importance to them?

I’m with @moorey, let them decide, or mutually agree on a date with as little European historical context as possible, so that it only has meaning from now and carries with it the spirit of unity only. Leave reconciliation and healing for another day, maybe even the 26th of January so it doesn’t become insignificant over time. It will mean little to many in practical terms, but a lot to us as a nation.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Bible bashers are worse cherry pickers than climate deniers. Margaret Court is a fuck your feelings kinda guy who I'm sure never considered stoning her children to death for disrespect as the bible suggests, such hypocrisy. Kezza is a legend, his contribution to Aus far outweighs any bigotted sports baller.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I still think a day without a date is the way forward. It's hard to pin a Monday to a historical event, and we can just get on with celebrating the country for what it is.

Once upon a time I really dug the Australia Day thing, mostly because I'm proud of who we are as a whole. It's marred for me now knowing what I do now about the significance of the date for others (not their fault btw). The sooner we get on with shuffling it, the sooner I can get on with enjoying it.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We all used to love Aus day, we all got sucked in by the bicentenary, in year 10 in 1988 we'd all been whitewashed by the history curriculum.

Amazing how our country and a lot of the world has in large grown up in just 30 odd years.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I dunno, reckon it needs to be a date completely s disassociated with 26 Jan. October, for no good reason. Weather improving, a break in the last school term, less fire danger from campfires and fireworks (all from a very SE Aus perspective sorry)
Agree it’d be a good time of year but ideally the date should relate to something. So on a date in October let’s fuck off our remaining attachments to Britain, go republic, install an indigenous elder as our ceremonial head of state, and then we we can go from there.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
As it stands it should be Jan 1 I reckon, so you could shift New Years Day to New Years Eve or piss off NYD to another time later in the year. I'm all for a PH somewhere in the second half of the year though as there's no national PH in between Queens Birthday and Christmas which sucks arse given PHs come thick and fast in the first half of the year.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So on a date in October
we already get labour day so october doesnt really need another holiday. decided to see which states dont get that day. According to info.australia.gov.au, NSW gets labour day on monday october 4 this year. Queensland gets instead the queens birthday holiday on monday october 5. TAS, Vic and NT dont get either version of that monday off

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
Without wanting to start a shit fight, what is the end game for all this?
If we change the date, how will that help the Aborigines in poverty, drug addiction, poor health?.....
Yeah, they were invaded, and its bad, BUT how will cancelling Australia Day help them???
When Kevin Rudd said 'sorry', werent we meant to move on?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think we should move it. No idea when, an d I figure most wouldn't like a wintery one...but one thing we do need, is a day off somewhere in the winter time.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Get rid of this and the anzac day rubbish. ACT already has Reconciliation Day - make it national. Then a new national day that both acknowledges the past and looks to the future with the formation of our glorious republic.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Without wanting to start a shit fight, what is the end game for all this?
If we change the date, how will that help the Aborigines in poverty, drug addiction, poor health?.....
Yeah, they were invaded, and its bad, BUT how will cancelling Australia Day help them???
When Kevin Rudd said 'sorry', werent we meant to move on?
We celebrate a date that represents them being dispossessed, it's a yearly kick in the teeth.

Probably would achieve 1/5 of fuck all in terms of repairing poverty etc, but would go a long way to letting them move on. See my point above about ze Germans...

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk