GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I read the first 2 pages, I figured the next 8 were just thinly disguised penis and/or butt jokes as per usual?

...I think I like the idea of something plastic still, there's already wear on the derailleur body and the b bolt so I figure it's probably best to add something sacrificial.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Posted this a month or so ago on a different thread.

0.5mm shim fitted, tight as a ducks arse.

There was about a ~20mm wobble holding on to the bottom jockey, now only a few millimetres.

Its an NX 12spd off my sons bike.

View attachment 368712
In the event I need to resort to this, where does one find such a shim? The first 3 Google results were not useful, and I'm lazy

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
In the event I need to resort to this, where does one find such a shim? The first 3 Google results were not not useful, and I'm lazy
I found them in my 'bike spacer' box, they look to be a thin copper washer/shim of some sort. I dont know where they came from, what they were for or how they got in there.

Sorry for the unhelpfulness.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I found them in my 'bike spacer' box, they look to be a thin copper washer/shim of some sort. I dont know where they came from, what they were for or how they got in there.

Sorry for the unhelpfulness.
was as helpful as my first 3 Google results. :D

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I bought a Park Tools Dag-1, derailleur alignment tool several years ago, it gets used monthly, sometimes we even do a few bikes at a time.
Its an essential tool when you have kids.

Yea I realise this now... I'd say an essential tool for 12 speed, not much margin for error.
I used a straight edge and a vernier and got it close enough, might be worth investing in the proper tool.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yea I realise this now... I'd say an essential tool for 12 speed, not much margin for error.
I used a straight edge and a vernier and got it close enough, might be worth investing in the proper tool.
Exactly, even more so with 12spds tight clearances and todays cheap derailleur design/build from SRAM.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Finally got around to printing something up. Made 3 different thicknesses to see what worked best - 1.5, 2.0, 2.5. turned out 1.5 was bang on, zero side to side play and doesn't bind up and stop the back and forward movement.

If anyone wants some, let me know. They take 15min to print 6 of them and all of couple of grams of filament. Freebies for burners

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I feel like buying a shit derailleur just so I can participate in @Plankosaurus's awesomeness!
Lol. They really are a shit design, wouldn't recommend

A mate has one though and told me to just get him a new groupset. I told him I'd stuff around with it first and see how it goes, I'm fairly confident this should nail the issue.

The idea is that they're semi consumable too. Instead of wearing out alloy parts with a steel washer, you wear out the almost cost free plastic bit and spend 30seconds replacing it when it wears out. I think a little bit of grease should see it last fairly well too.

Possibly worth removing the retaining clip too. It might end up being a better fit without that, but someone that owns one of these can give that a whiz, I reckon my mate will likely get an ebike soon and the old tallboy will go to the back of the shed to gather some dust.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
A joke mate, I wouldn't sell them without an honest description and priced as such. They are absolute shite.

It make me cringe seeing a 10K Yeti specced with GX :rolleyes:
It was better than the generic shimano 3x I have on the hard tail lol.

Also it was only today i realised the x01 groupset was only a few squids more :(