GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If that’s the case then yes, but guessing you could chop that stopper out for less than forty bucks!
Maybe the cheaper lever/other bits don't handle the double shift as well. I have had Shimano on every bike, for the first half of my mtb life SRAM didn't exist. Unless you're wanting a race weapon XTR has never been worth the $$ imo but XT is every single time. Also I don't have a dinner plate so I can't comment on Shimano's one.

I've ridden low-mid level SRAM and liked the equivalent Shimano better (e.g. X9 vs Deore shifters XT mech on two old bikes I have). The SRAM I've ridden generally does work well, I'll have to check if the mate has XO.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I started with the old x7 and x9 sram which was pretty good at the time, then went to shimano xt and then xt/xtr 1x11 now the new rig has gx.. So far it’s been pretty good, shifting was fine once I aligned the hanger to mm perfect.. Overall the spread of the gearing is the main advantage over xt 1x11 setup.. But shifting wise it’s certainly nothing special to anything shimano had made for years.. The biggest gripe I have with gx eagle is the fking derailleur basically scraping on the ground and hangs out awkwardly compared to shimano shadow derailleurs. I am always getting sticks and shit jammed in it.. When it enviably gets ripped off I think i’m going for the new xt 1x12 setup.. The derailleur looks way more compact and out of the way on getting caught on stuff..

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wasn’t the deal Shimano just added a plastic ‘stopper’ into the shifter cover the stop the 2nd shift on the SLX? That seems just as ridiculous as deliberately using a cheaper bolt setup.
No, XT and SLX use different shifter guts. SLX also misses out on the instant release trigger. The difference in feel and action is quite notceable in a side-by-side test.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
No, XT and SLX use different shifter guts. SLX also misses out on the instant release trigger. The difference in feel and action is quite notceable in a side-by-side test.
Pretty certain. Talking 10spd timeframe and I specifically remember there being a moulding that stopped the multi release just to disable that on the SLX compared to XT.

I’m not arguing that SLX is otherwise the same as xt. Just saying that these types of engineered ‘downgrades’ for no manufacturing cost reduction are common in all industries.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If I was building a bike now, I’d happily go SLX full group with just an XT shifter. Reliable and cheap, I don’t need bling.

But now I’ve finally sorted the GX and added an X01 shifter it’s all good for now. Wouldn’t go out and buy it, but if it was on a bike I wanted and the dollars were right it’s still not a deal breaker.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Pretty certain. Talking 10spd timeframe and I specifically remember there being a moulding that stopped the multi release just to disable that on the SLX compared to XT.
The very early 10-sp. bits, which were late-model run additions to the M660 SLX and M770 XT groups might have had the same internals, because that single-year XT variant also lacks the instant release, which was built into the 9-sp. version of that series. I've got one bike with M770-10 (the update) and the other with M780, which were bought as an upgrade from M660-10, and I can assure you they are not the same internals. I've worked on plenty of 11-sp. and enough 12-sp. to know that they remain significantly different units.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The 51t Shimano thing was kind of funny for the little f-you to SRAM but bumping to 52t just seems fucking pointless, especially with a 10t jump between cogs.

Calling it now - all the 2022 bike releases are going to be like "redesigned chainstay yoke to allow for 38t chainring".

Scotty675

Cable thief
I've been running a garbaruk 11-52 for a bit now. I've got a 36t chainring.
If a 10t was there it wouldn't get used.

Next build will be 10-45. I think the dinner plate is a bit overrated. I can see the attraction for the range but I've gone full circle on the idea.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Funny how the AXS derailleur is capable of utilising the 52 tooth ring but the cable actuated ones had to be modified. Given the AXS derailleur is shorter and more compact than the regular ones what gives?

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys. I might try fiddling with it again. It seemed as though when I put the new xx1 b-bolt in the gap (between the green lines) was greater 3-4mm than the gx as pictured.

To be perfectly honest, for the price, I think I'll probably jump ship to shimano now 12sp is out.... sick of all the sram issues with lower end models.

I am not sure if anyone else has replied to this and I missed it, but I just had the exact same problem with a brand new GX derailleur. I am running it as 11spd with an X1 shifter and Hope cassette. The first thing I noticed with the brand new GX is the B bolt is identical to the old X1, but being brand new there was zero slop in it, so it shifted fine from the get go. Since I had already purchased the X01 bolt, I figured I would install it anyway...

The X01 bolt made the derailleur shift so much worse than the stock GX and the reason for that is visible in the picture above (mine was actually much worse than pictured). The crush tube that fits around the bolt is ~3mm longer than the body of the derailleur. Since mine is new, there is no slop between the bolt and body, but the derailleur can wander in/out 3mm along the bolt and it throws everything out.

The fix is simple. File down the crush tube until you reduce that 3mm down to 0.000001mm or as close as you can get to zero without going too far and buggering it up so it binds. File-check, file-check etc.

Once the crush tube is the correct length for the GX body and the derailleur cannot slide in and out along the tube, the shifting is perfect!

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Posted this a month or so ago on a different thread.

0.5mm shim fitted, tight as a ducks arse.

There was about a ~20mm wobble holding on to the bottom jockey, now only a few millimetres.

Its an NX 12spd off my sons bike.