The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Freediver

I can go full Karen
As I said in another thread. It sucks that businesses pay a shit load in rent and think that's OK but then want to pay workers peanuts. How about renegotiating with your landlord before cutting wages and conditions for your workers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A return to proper award rates would actually benefit small business. Small businesses can't negotiate the sort of work place agreements that big business can. Small businesses also often have a competitive advantage on weekends/overtime because the business owner is doing all/most of the work and isn't "charging" the business loadings. In addition, small businesses often have family members helping out as cheap labour.

The abolition of penalty rates etc. is on the whole more advantageous to big business.
I am constantly blown away how often this doesn't happen in hospitality. In theory the weekend is the busiest time (it definitely is at one of the cafes I work in), all those customers just itching to spend their cash and pretend they aren't wage slaves all week) but so many business owners seem to think they should also have the weekend off. I get it, working weekends while your friends are enjoying themselves isn't much chop. But...oh well, Monday and Tuesday on the trails is so good when everybody is working.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm guessing because you can't answer you just made that up.
When the tyranny of Howard came to an end, one of the local bike shop owners here to me he was at the ready for shedding staff as soon as the nee government started telling him how to run his business.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm guessing because you can't answer you just made that up.
I was actually sent something by a union group where someone had contacted them about it, I think it was something like a convenience store worker that it happen to and I didn't really pay much attention to it because it doesn't really effect me as I'm pretty much self employed.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ I wonder if this had anything to do with the way 7-11 were caught out for exploiting their workers?

Here's another guess, he didn't lay off any.

Like all small business there was lean times. No idea how they feel now so many years later. Fear not though, my sentiment is far more in line with yours on this. Business chambers, advocates, and other lobby groups throw their fear mongering around like it's going out of style when elections loom.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I guess if convenience store workers are going to lose their jobs when Shorten gets in we better vote Liberal.
Out of curiosity, please tell us which union said that.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I guess if convenience store workers are going to lose their jobs when Shorten gets in we better vote Liberal.
Out of curiosity, please tell us which union said that.
It was shared on a FB page for FIFO contract workers I cant remember what union it was , I'm not going to spend hours scrolling pages to find it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
OK, so it was actually from a mining company.
No, the FIFO page just shared some information on their page about a businesses complaining to workers, the FIFO page AFAIK is run by union members. If I come across it again I'll put the link up for you.

I guess if convenience store workers are going to lose their jobs when Shorten gets in we better vote Liberal..
I prefer not to vote for either of the top two but I suppose I'll vote what best suits my regional area.

That's not what it's about. If an employer can't maintain their business without exciting their employees...their business isn't actually sustainable and they can shove off. I've left plenty of jobs here the employer has been a cunt rather than stick around and pretend it will get better. One last year (well known local restaurant that has amazing food and an excellent cellar) wasn't paying super. They'd been busted for it (before I started there) when one of their employees had gone to the authorities. That employee found they had no more shifts...and the employees that were there when I rocked up weren't receiving theirs. They should just suck that up though I guess so the boss can shave back their wages expenses? How does that look in 10 or 15 years? It was no worries for me I rolled on after a few weeks when I'd grabbed something else (in the middle of a large function "you can carry those plates out yourself, here's an apron.")
@pink poodle You do realise that just because someone has a new Porsche and a two story mansion it doesn't mean that their business is funding all their assets, they may have acquired it from a previous occupation or family inheritance. Most people will not easily walk away from a small business that they've built from the ground up when things start going bad. It's lots of unpaid hours and hard work to start a small business from scratch and not many people see this, they just see the end result. You can have two identical businesses side by side and one year one business is awarded a large contract and makes a stack of money and next year the contract goes to the other, this might go on for years. You can't always determine what a business makes by looking on the outside and you can't always foresee the future of what can happen in business either.

Is it best to get rid of workers and send them home on unemployment benefits when you don't have any contracts or try to save money some how and keep them on. In some of these small businesses people learn skills that might lead them onto better employment opportunities rather than stay at home because unemployed benefits pays them the same amount and they learn very little work skills. I don't like seeing workers get ripped off especially at the bottom scale pay rates and there are companies that exploit people but it's not always best to force these businesses to close.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle You do realise that just because someone has a new Porsche and a two story mansion it doesn't mean that their business is funding all their assets, they may have acquired it from a previous occupation or family inheritance. Most people will not easily walk away from a small business that they've built from the ground up when things start going bad. It's lots of unpaid hours and hard work to start a small business from scratch and not many people see this, they just see the end result. You can have two identical businesses side by side and one year one business is awarded a large contract and makes a stack of money and next year the contract goes to the other, this might go on for years. You can't always determine what a business makes by looking on the outside and you can't always foresee the future of what can happen in business either.

Is it best to get rid of workers and send them home on unemployment benefits when you don't have any contracts or try to save money some how and keep them on. In some of these small businesses people learn skills that might lead them onto better employment opportunities rather than stay at home because unemployed benefits pays them the same amount and they learn very little work skills. I don't like seeing workers get ripped off especially at the bottom scale pay rates and there are companies that exploit people but it's not always best to force these businesses to close.
I do realise that you didn't read my post and just pushed your strange tangent...but that's ok. I've worked for people that do own fancy cars and big houses in the right suburbs. I've also worked for people that are on the bread line. There's good and bad employers in both categories. The fact remains though, that if they can't make their business work without under paying or exploiting their staff...then they can't make their business work.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I do realise that you didn't read my post and just pushed your strange tangent...but that's ok. I've worked for people that do own fancy cars and big houses in the right suburbs. I've also worked for people that are on the bread line. There's good and bad employers in both categories. The fact remains though, that if they can't make their business work without under paying or exploiting their staff...then they can't make their business work.
Ok sorry, I understood the first part you wrote as if a businesses cant pay exciting amounts to their workers they should have shut their doors.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok sorry, I understood the first part you wrote as if a businesses cant pay exciting amounts to their workers they should have shut their doors.
Indeed. Just checked and I have a typo. It should (and now does) read exploiting. They should excite their workers too...but that isn't about money, but good leadership.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have no love of the unions I dealt with but I have less for employers who exploit their workforce. Typically scumbags exercising their egos on people who cannot afford to lose their jobs or find another.

The expected increased union powers will most probably lead to increased costs on construction work which will be passed onto the consumer at the end of the day. Not small business but the top 2 or 3 tiers. More interference in the workplace, more defence of legitimate and legal agreements, pattern agreements that increase employment costs etc. Again if such interference is the result of shoddy practises or poor safety then all good but my experience was simply industrial buggery because they could. One year I spent hundreds of thousands of the company's money fighting false actions in the AIRC, didn't lose a single action but you don't get costs. That money comes straight off the bottom line.

So ultimately, in my opinion, increased union power will increase costs, let's hope they do some good along the way and improve conditions and/or safety. Otherwise fuck off out of it.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have no love of the unions I dealt with but I have less for employers who exploit their workforce. Typically scumbags exercising their egos on people who cannot afford to lose their jobs or find another.

The expected increased union powers will most probably lead to increased costs on construction work which will be passed onto the consumer at the end of the day. Not small business but the top 2 or 3 tiers. More interference in the workplace, more defence of legitimate and legal agreements, pattern agreements that increase employment costs etc. Again if such interference is the result of shoddy practises or poor safety then all good but my experience was simply industrial buggery because they could. One year I spent hundreds of thousands of the company's money fighting false actions in the AIRC, didn't lose a single action but you don't get costs. That money comes straight off the bottom line.

So ultimately, in my opinion, increased union power will increase costs, let's hope they do some good along the way and improve conditions and/or safety. Otherwise fuck off out of it.
It’s a balance I doubt will ever be got right, or so that everyone is happy.

But increased costs I think is a price generally worth paying for the greater good as it were. As with most things, a few arsehats means the rest of us have to deal with the rules to keep the arsehats in check... Welcome to humanity...