Confessions from the fuckwits

Flow-Rider

Burner
Found a broken spoke, and took the wheel in to the bike shop to have it fixed (I don't yet have the equipment or skill to do it myself). Good thing I did; half the spokes were loose. How was I to know you have to check them regularly? I've only been riding mountain bikes for the entire goddamn century.
You never squeeze cross spokes together or flick them with your fingernail to make that cool sound?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Found a broken spoke, and took the wheel in to the bike shop to have it fixed (I don't yet have the equipment or skill to do it myself). Good thing I did; half the spokes were loose. How was I to know you have to check them regularly? I've only been riding mountain bikes for the entire goddamn century.
This is why you shouldn't have the spokey dokes on. Their noise prevents you from hearing the sounds indicative of loose spokes.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Decided to cave into this Hope brake love-in theme.

Tuesday night pulled off the XTRs and mounted up the Hope X2 race brakes. Took the pads out ready for bleeding the next night. Haven't used DOT fluid brakes in a while so, being super cautious, wrapped the calipers and levers in rags in case of spillage.

Wednesday night, fight kids into bed and head out to the shed. Shorten the brake lines, start bleeding the front brake. Fluid coming through the hose, few pump/release cycles later no fluid through the hose. Get down to inspect, hmm, fluid pouring on to the floor. Maybe hose has come off, no. Remove rag from caliper. Fuck, with the caliper all wrapped up I forgot to put a bleeding block (or something) between the pistons. One piston completely popped out. Dick head.

Anyway, carefully lined up the piston and it pushed back in easily. Seems to have bled fine after that and no obvious leakage from the piston. Yet to ride them. Hopefully haven't damaged a seal.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Thanks I wasn't sure if that was enough to just start the build or if I had to actually hit some single track on the ebike and do some trail damage.
Eventual bagging out aside, what are you building?

Flow-Rider

Burner

Tuesday night pulled off the XTRs and mounted up the Hope X2 race brakes. Took the pads out ready for bleeding the next night. Haven't used DOT fluid brakes in a while so, being super cautious, wrapped the calipers and levers in rags in case of spillage.

Wednesday night, fight kids into bed and head out to the shed. Shorten the brake lines, start bleeding the front brake. Fluid coming through the hose, few pump/release cycles later no fluid through the hose. Get down to inspect, hmm, fluid pouring on to the floor. Maybe hose has come off, no. Remove rag from caliper. Fuck, with the caliper all wrapped up I forgot to put a bleeding block (or something) between the pistons. One piston completely popped out. Dick head.

Anyway, carefully lined up the piston and it pushed back in easily. Seems to have bled fine after that and no obvious leakage from the piston. Yet to ride them. Hopefully haven't damaged a seal.
You can imagine what happens in large workshops when management bust your balls with petty shit every half hour.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Eventual bagging out aside, what are you building?
Just a hardtail with torque sensing mid drive paired with 18Ah battery. At about 100w assist level that should get me 5 hours which is pretty nice. The idea is to do massive rides in less time - think like 200km in half a day on rough as guts fire roads and lots of climbing.

i can do full day rides in the graveller, but my spine doesn't like it and if I go soft tyres my legs won't hack it (or I have to reduce range).

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just a hardtail with torque sensing mid drive paired with 18Ah battery. At about 100w assist level that should get me 5 hours which is pretty nice. The idea is to do massive rides in less time - think like 200km in half a day on rough as guts fire roads and lots of climbing.

i can do full day rides in the graveller, but my spine doesn't like it and if I go soft tyres my legs won't hack it (or I have to reduce range).
That will be cool. Are you adapting a hardtail frame or trying to buy an Ebike frame?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

This will be a true test if your faith!

I am building an ebike.
You've cut me deep.

You've come to the right thread.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That will be cool. Are you adapting a hardtail frame or trying to buy an Ebike frame?
Normal hardtail.

You've cut me deep.
Must be some karma for speaking the ebike words.

nvestigating some clunks, broke the crank puller. No problem, I am a resourceful farker.

Use a 5c coin. Now I have a pressed 5c coin.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Get a washer. Now I have a connical washer.

03.jpg

Going to go do some yoga now I think.