Confessions from the fuckwits

slowmick

38-39"
A mat would avoid some fuckwittery, but this thread has no place for practical!

View attachment 336814
You overestimate my ability to learn from my mistakes...

That said I do like Boom's take on the situation. Just delaying the inevitable. All in all the dropper now works better than it used to as the cable no longer gets chewed up by the back wheel. now if only it would stop raining.

stirk

Burner
Just piss right off with your solutions buddy!
Knowing slowmick's luck I'm just enabling a future slip to occur on spilt babyoil carelessly left on the mat which then results in an awkward fall and even more arkward emergency room visit for foreign object removal.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Knowing slowmick's luck I'm just enabling a future slip to occur on spilt babyoil carelessly left on the mat which then results in an awkward fall and even more arkward emergency room visit for foreign object removal.
Torque wrench?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My commuter/roadie shifter packed it in, it's old so it is being retired. I have a half decent flat bar hybrid thing that will suffice for a while, wheels are a bit heavy so bright idea was to swap in the roadie wheels. Different number of gears so cassette swap in order. Cassettes switched, new wheel in place. Seems to be a lot of winding to get the skewer ..... Oh ... Damn you MTB vs road wheel spacing. Reverse the cassette switch and switch the tyres instead, might have saved a few grams.

On top of that some of the crud cleaned out from somewhere finds its way onto feet and has now been tracked around the house - at least it's tiles or soon to be removed carpet.

mellow

Banned
tubeless.

Early twenties ( me, not the era ), I loved my lugged steel, Aussie built, brown thing.
Had more rear wheels built for it than I'd had lady friends. And this was pre AIDS days. Mind you, I never was pretty, so not saying that much.
My mechanic reckoned I was like a three hundred horsepower tractor, with no power steering.

Soo, one evening I've popped down the shop for milk. Pluggers, stubbies and tubeless. Stubbies were the short of the norm at the time. Tubeless means no jocks.
Sorry for that image, but the relevance is coming.

On return voyage, have decided a one handed, milk in the other, coasting wheelie was the go.
My ambition outweighed my abilities even then.
Taco wheel ( borrowed term ), and corkscrewed forks. Fresh bitumen. Very messy. You get the tubeless reference now ?
No milk either.

I was met with a mixture of pity and disgust.

mellow

Banned
ultgra pedals.

10 or so years ago had a lovely VooDoo Bizango built up. 100mm air fork. hope hubs and brakes.
Couldn't wait for pedals or pull them off another or take five minutes to go down the shop.
Roadie cleats and shoes will do. Let's go.

So naturally, first ride I've stalled going up the rocks, stayed clipped in for the carnage.
Rock gouged the top tube of the fork.
Had a leatherman on me, gave it a file in disgust, and has never leaked a bit.

Idiot.

mellow

Banned
Another silly billy.

At seventeen ( many , many , many years ago ), with my sixteen year old girlfriend, we have " fallen asleep ".
About two in the morning, her underground, driller, Germanic father has banged on the front door.
Seconds later we are up, at the front door, innocent.

mellow

Banned
Bloody pc.

Anyway continuing the story.
Dad is at the door, we profess innocence.
He points out her skirt is on inside out.
Went down hill from there.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Installing chainring spacers to eliminate back pedalling issues. Screw the first three bolts in just fine, but somehow manage to cross thread the 4th. :frusty:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Smell your hand, is there a hint of ham?
There's certainly a whiff of combustion from the wallet in the pocket after ordering a new ring. Been trying the remember the last time I cross threaded a bike component, I reckon it was when I was about 14 with a pedal, a solid 20+ years ago.

golden path

Banned
Never been serviced....

I wonder if the top cap has backed out slowly, and never having been checked the threads just let go?

(PS: I crossthreaded an old Judy SL top cap years ago and even then it never burst out...)

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Found a broken spoke, and took the wheel in to the bike shop to have it fixed (I don't yet have the equipment or skill to do it myself). Good thing I did; half the spokes were loose. How was I to know you have to check them regularly? I've only been riding mountain bikes for the entire goddamn century.