Olympics

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or bike control, some of sams riding looks like he really uses the clipless in his style. Only a few hrs to go.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Race walking...is just... no.

I get the marathon and 10,000m...but race walk...I do not get.

moorey

call me Mia
Race walking...is just... no.

I get the marathon and 10,000m...but race walk...I do not get.
Tis up there with synchronised swimming. Local lad and ex student Jared Tallent landed the silver in 50km. In 3 years it will be upgraded to gold if the regular pattern holds firm.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The "walk" is just a joke of an event. At least syncronised swimming requires some type of skill and finesse, the "walk" is just a bunch of people that weren't fast enough for the distance running events.

Another thing... the basketball... geez..... :boom:

moorey

call me Mia
The "walk" is just a joke of an event. At least syncronised swimming requires some type of skill and finesse, the "walk" is just a bunch of people that weren't fast enough for the distance running events.

Another thing... the basketball... geez..... :boom:
BB, I hate, but get. Golf though? I like a hit ang giggle, but olympics? :noidea:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think you guys are missing the big picture here...the Olympics is the joke. Not just any specific event.

moorey

call me Mia
I think you guys are missing the big picture here...the Olympics is the joke. Not just any specific event.
I have no interest whatsoever, but stripped down to the basic events (mainly track and field) without all the bullshit and politics, go for it.
Oh, and sailing? Ffs.

wkkie

Good on Chloe Esposito! She kicked ass in the shooting part of the run / shoot, just smashed em, went from 7th to gold. Good work!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have no interest whatsoever, but stripped down to the basic events (mainly track and field) without all the bullshit and politics, go for it.
Oh, and sailing? Ffs.
I loosely agree, when we're the Olympians of old playing golf? I see no point to including many of the newer sports that already have a very strong professional circuit that is very prominent in sports media. Rugby 7s? Give me a break!

But hey...I'm not into the whole vibe either, but it is still everywhere I turn my eyes!

wkkie

I loosely agree, when we're the Olympians of old playing golf? I see no point to including many of the newer sports that already have a very strong professional circuit that is very prominent in sports media. Rugby 7s? Give me a break!

But hey...I'm not into the whole vibe either, but it is still everywhere I turn my eyes!
The professional sports like golf and tennis don't really fit... And I think the golf was in the Olympics, about 150ish years ago or something like that.

wkkie

The one thing I do like though is that the crowds have been giving it to the prior drug cheats. Why they are even allowed to compete ever again, let alone in the Olympics, is beyond me....

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, Australia, a masterclass in dominating when it doesn't matter, then, when it does matter, getting dominated.

Oh well. Was really looking forward to boomers USA

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm finding myself asking what is the point of the olympic games. Apart from a proxy battle of ideologies.

Do more medals matter? Are we a better country for more wins? Is it a better return on investment?

I think I'd rather that $800m we just spent went into something slightly more tangible and beneficial to broader Aus society, or even spent on grass roots sports development vs peak athletic bodies.

And wtf is with J Coates whinging that Aus only spent $800m on its athletes, how much would he like taxpayers to donate to this cause? Afterall how many did we field? 422 That's just shy of $2m each in development effectively to get them to the olympics. Hoofckingray. Where's the return on investment to society on that tax payer funded gravy train from the athletes?

And while I'm at it, in the spirit of war let's instate a rule that it's not an olympic sport if it can't kill you. Existing events may be modified to meet a minimum standard death-risk rating, otherwise you're out.

Faarkk.