1x10 without a chainguide

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone gone 40 or 42 with sram cassette and x9 typ2 RD recently? please bestow on me your findings.

ive got a new bike that has a granny ring and after 6 months running 34 tooth with 11-36 using a granny ring is almost as good as a warm bath... soooooo easy on slow techy climbs makes me feel like im in an armchair just relaxing my way up. i dont know if im ready to go back to really using my quads so im thinking of being a slacker and starting with a 30tooth NW and then maybe a 40 tooth rear.. that being said i will prob just deal with it once i get a 30 tooth front and not bother with the range extended cassette.... 100 bucks for a single cog is daylight robbery... in 12 months time they will be 50 bucks or less.
What cranks do you have? Most I have seen for 104 Shimano BCD are less than $80

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, right.

I am going to get a hope 30t, but the biggest problem now is where from. Damn you minimum spend for free postage!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

takai

Eats Squid
So, thinking 40 or 42t on the rear of the Reign. Probably as many opinions as buttholes, but who should I go with?

Have a US postal address so i can order OneUp straight from them, including the RAD cage, which all looks pretty appealing now.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
So, thinking 40 or 42t on the rear of the Reign. Probably as many opinions as buttholes, but who should I go with?

Have a US postal address so i can order OneUp straight from them, including the RAD cage, which all looks pretty appealing now.
I think the key with any of these 1x setups is the OneUp RAD cage. The main problem with any of the 42T cogs (and to a lesser extent the 40T cogs) is how far in you need to wind the B-Screw. This moves the jockey wheels waaaaay to far from the cassette and reduces shifting performance. I'm currently using a Hope 40T and the performance is OK but with the Rad cage, should improve significantly.

I would go with OneUp for the simple fact that you can get the 42T or 40T, the 16T and the cage all together. I've really been noticing the large gap between the 15T and 19T due to having to lose the 17T and I think adding OneUp's 16T to reduce the gap is the way to go.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't really want to start a whole new thread just for my one question, and its somewhat relevant to 1X10.
Can someone school this noob on BB30 & GXP....
My frame takes a standard 68/73-mm BB. But wtf is this GXP guff. I am assuming it is not compatible with BB30?

Im looking at getting some new cranks:
http://www.merlincycles.com/sram-xx1-crankset-69018.html

In the details, the description states that the BB is BB30, GXPs - does that mean it is compatible with both types of bottom brackets? and I just buy the BB that fits my frame?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
BB30 is exactly that. GXP is sram's threaded bottom bracket (much like shimano has hollowtech)

those cranks are GXP, the only mention of BB30 is that they offer them in both BB30 and GXP.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I didn't really want to start a whole new thread just for my one question, and its somewhat relevant to 1X10.
My frame takes a standard 68/73-mm BB. But wtf is this GXP guff. I am assuming it is not compatible with BB30?

In the details, the description states that the BB is BB30, GXPs - does that mean it is compatible with both types of bottom brackets? and I just buy the BB that fits my frame?
GXP is SRAM/Truvativ BB standard and it relates to their spindle diameters. The DS and NDS have a different diameter.

You can get a GXP crank for your 68/73mm BSA frame but you need a specific GXP BB cups.

BB30 is press fit...... and cannot be installed on your frame if its 68/73mm.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Also, make sure you check your frame width, Q156 wont fit most duallys..............

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Q156 and Q168 is offered in XX1. The narrower Q156 will leave the crank arm clearance (to the rear triangle) less than the Q168.
The measurement relates to the inside DS to inside NDS of the crank arms. The BB width is the same.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Q156 and Q168 is offered in XX1. The narrower Q156 will leave the crank arm clearance (to the rear triangle) less than the Q168.
The measurement relates to the inside DS to inside NDS of the crank arms. The BB width is the same.
I see, by the looks of it I will need a Q168. Thanks for your help JT.

Hi guys... I have read a chunk of the start of this monster thread and a fair few of the recent posts. I think I know what I need to do but I want to be doubly sure before I part with my beer tokens, and I have a quick (!?) question...

I have a Scott Spark 30. It's running stock at the moment. The bloke I bought it off recommended I go x1 x10 as a great upgrade so I started reading about the pros and seemingly no cons.

So, it seems like you can get away with a short cage clutched derailleur at the business end - say a Shimano ZEE M640 Shadow Plus ? The rear cassette stays stock, at least for now. And finally the much talked about Wolf Tooth NW chainring upfront (or similar). Sound about right?

On the chainring - I'm still a little fuzzy on which tooth count to go for. I'm fairly fit, but getting on a bit! I ride Manly Dam / OMV type trails. Would I get up hill with a 34T, or is playing safe and getting a 32T the way to go? I know you'll have to make a guess at my fitness levels a little there :)

I'm a little lost on the recent comments about the Rad cage - worthwhile, or just a bonus add on?

Sorry if all this is answered in the middle ground of this thread that I skipped over due to having a life :)

Ta!

ChopSticks

Banned
What ratio is your current cassette?

if it's a 11-36, then a 34T up front will be do-able given your fitness

what rings do you currently have in the cranks? Do you find yourself sitting in one ring more than the other/s and do you feel the need for more top/bottom end gears??

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hi guys... I have read a chunk of the start of this monster thread and a fair few of the recent posts. I think I know what I need to do but I want to be doubly sure before I part with my beer tokens, and I have a quick (!?) question...

I have a Scott Spark 30. It's running stock at the moment. The bloke I bought it off recommended I go x1 x10 as a great upgrade so I started reading about the pros and seemingly no cons. - Unless you need the extra gearing that a 2x or 3x offers - 1x is not for everyone
So, it seems like you can get away with a short cage clutched derailleur at the business end - say a Shimano ZEE M640 Shadow Plus ? The rear cassette stays stock, at least for now. And finally the much talked about Wolf Tooth NW chainring upfront (or similar). Sound about right? - YES
On the chainring - I'm still a little fuzzy on which tooth count to go for. I'm fairly fit, but getting on a bit! I ride Manly Dam / OMV type trails. Would I get up hill with a 34T, or is playing safe and getting a 32T the way to go? I know you'll have to make a guess at my fitness levels a little there :) - You could go one or the other, just get a black one, if you need up or down just sell it and buy again
I'm a little lost on the recent comments about the Rad cage - worthwhile, or just a bonus add on? - Only if you decide to go with a cassette expander ring, 40 or 42t. No benefit if you stick to standard cassette setup

Sorry if all this is answered in the middle ground of this thread that I skipped over due to having a life :) - Well done..... I would too.
Ta!
See red for my thoughts.........

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

what rings do you currently have in the cranks? Do you find yourself sitting in one ring more than the other/s and do you feel the need for more top/bottom end gears??
Wheel size will factor in. Big wheels will gear up over 26" so drop a ring size for 29er.

Thanks for a swift response ChopSticks.

It is the standard 11-36 at the rear. 42-32-24 at the front (Deore XT). I hardly ever use the 42. Mostly I'm in the 32. Embarrassingly I'm sometimes in the 24 on a sustained techy climb.