The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
hey guys

I'm going to purchase a camera very soon and I know what I would like and I know how much I'm paying and so but I'd just like to gather knowledge and idea on the matter. I'm looking to buy a canon 60d or maybe eve a 7d, they seem to be good value for money and they fulfill all criteria I have and also had a few extras, I wanted a camera with a resonable shutter speed for action shots and so on but also some thing I could leave on a long exposure. It needed to be around the $1000-$1300 range and preferably a canon. I have sourced a 60d at staff price through contacts and it will cost me $1015 direct from canon with an 18mm-200mm lens. I would have preffered a smaller lens for various reasons but also wanted a longer range lens for panaramic shot of mountains and sky and so on. So what are your thought on the matter? here http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/60D is link to canon website and the 60d if anyone was after info on it for any reason, and help would be greatly apperciated
What you've put down seems perfect. The 60D is a great camera to get into photography with, and the 18-200 covers a broad enough focal-length range to use for almost everything. Down the track you might like to pick up a 50mm f/1.8 prime or an ultra-wide like the Canon 10-20mm to add something different to the kit, but for the initial $1015 layout i'd say you'll have a great body/lens combo to start out with.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Taking some shots on the Wollongong Harbour breakwall yesterday, and I'm sure you can guess what happened.

It's a 600D, was using an old 18-55, camera didn't get soaked but fairly splashed across the top controls. Not turning on properly at the moment, it just beeps with every button I press. The battery is currently out, everything is opened up and it's in a bowl of rice upside down in the off oven. Any suggestions?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Taking some shots on the Wollongong Harbour breakwall yesterday, and I'm sure you can guess what happened.

It's a 600D, was using an old 18-55, camera didn't get soaked but fairly splashed across the top controls. Not turning on properly at the moment, it just beeps with every button I press. The battery is currently out, everything is opened up and it's in a bowl of rice upside down in the off oven. Any suggestions?
Pray?

(Ouch dude. Think you've done all you can.)

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Went camping and hiking in Barrington Tops National Park in NSW this weekend. The views were amazing and I was very disappointed I only own a 35mm prime lens. So to try and do the view justice I stitched 4 shots together to form a panorama (used the open source "Hugin" software)

On the way back down to the car on Sunday morning, I came across this guy. I assume it's an Eastern Brown Snake, but could be a King Brown (don't really know the difference). Anyway, I couldn't really get in any better position without feeling very unsafe, so snapped him from there. Not the best, but still interesting I think. (I only went this close because it was early morning and quite cold, so I assumed he'd be slow if he wanted to start anything).

brisneyland

Likes Dirt

Salt water is bad dude.

I'd try and get some silica gel sachets rather than rice.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Couple of shots I took YESTERDAY during a perfect Autumn swell...
Sick shots Tris - the one of the stand up surfer catches how heavy, but fantastic the wave at Shark Island is. I haven't surfed there for nearly 10 years, but goddam you know about it when you either get a good one or get worked over The Surge.

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Rad photos dude, though I'd like a bit of a looser crop on all of them. That's just me.

Got a print done the other day. A0. Happy Sam.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
though I'd like a bit of a looser crop on all of them.
I think he was shooting through the fence which would have limited him somewhat (especially with the one-in-a-million crash shot!)

Great to see you back in the game, Jase!