The Photo Snob Thread

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
All Japan Day in Adelaide, from yesterday. This one probably turned out the best, despite not being very good. Think I over-processed the clouds a little, or didn't spend enough time masking out the skyline (as in the line of the sky) properly.

Any tips for editing/shooting cars? Really hard to make any car photos interesting, especially when they're parked on the grass surrounded by hundreds of others and it's overcast.

And Craig, amazing shot as per usual.

EDIT: Whoah image size batman!!! Gotta run for uni, no time to resize now.
Shooting cars = reflections

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Your best friend when shooting cars is a polarizing filter. Makes the world of difference when cutting reflections and the likes :)
I know I really really really need a polarizing filter, I was fretting out the days beforehand since I thought it'd be way sunnier, but the overcast-ness made it a little easier for me. I'd also love some flash rigs so I can do a pretty cool car shoot at nice locations and have it lit how I want, rather than luck and gross orange street lights.

Problem is I have a shitty rusty 240z that's going through a ground up build, and a less shitty S13 that loves having my money spent on it hahah. Not much left for anything, let alone camera toys.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I know I really really really need a polarizing filter, I was fretting out the days beforehand since I thought it'd be way sunnier, but the overcast-ness made it a little easier for me. I'd also love some flash rigs so I can do a pretty cool car shoot at nice locations and have it lit how I want, rather than luck and gross orange street lights.

Problem is I have a shitty rusty 240z that's going through a ground up build, and a less shitty S13 that loves having my money spent on it hahah. Not much left for anything, let alone camera toys.

Appreciate the feedback guys.
I swear those Zs came with factory rust :p

For night shots, all you need is one flash. Alternatively, an eBay soft box and a LED torch can do wonders also, especially on the cheap. In each case, a combination of a long exposure and careful illumination can give some great results.
Good luck!

DHoffmann

Likes Bikes
All Japan Day in Adelaide, from yesterday. This one probably turned out the best, despite not being very good. Think I over-processed the clouds a little, or didn't spend enough time masking out the skyline (as in the line of the sky) properly.

Any tips for editing/shooting cars? Really hard to make any car photos interesting, especially when they're parked on the grass surrounded by hundreds of others and it's overcast.

And Craig, amazing shot as per usual.

EDIT: Whoah image size batman!!! Gotta run for uni, no time to resize now.
A cir-pol won't improve shots if they're bad to begin with, and they only help remove a certain amount of reflections at a time (in a hurry I still need two shots rotating the polarizer which I then merge in PS to eliminate most of the reflections). Also remember that it'll cut light, so if shooting in lower light you might struggle.

The best thing to do is find the cars on their own, or better yet get the owner to move them to a empty location. Isolating the car is key to a clean and striking image. Work your angles at shows to remove clutter from the background, and utilise depth of field to blur inevitable things. A shot head on at grille height of the skyline closely cropped with a out of focus background in my eyes would have more visual impact than the shot you showed.
99% of images you'll see from a show are taken at head-height, getting on the floor or finding a way to take a birds eye view shot will set your image apart. Keeping an eye out for details that others might miss could help too, a creative sticker or a subtle modification shot well could make for a unique image too.

Most of all, keep shooting.

A couple of kids from a friends wedding.... feedback appreciated.
First shot is lovely, but her expression is unfortunately far too sombre. I'd hope for a sense of wonderment, fascination and childish gleefulness, but instead it's almost an adult look of introspection.
Second shot does nothing for me, the selective saturation really doesn't work well and the editing process has rendered the kids looking... sickly...
Third shot is a winner, a great moment and great expressions (the little girl needs the same look in the first image...) and editing is almost spot on. I'd like to suggest separating the faces and hair from the wall a bit, they almost appear to blend in.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
First shot is lovely, but her expression is unfortunately far too sombre. I'd hope for a sense of wonderment, fascination and childish gleefulness, but instead it's almost an adult look of introspection.
Second shot does nothing for me, the selective saturation really doesn't work well and the editing process has rendered the kids looking... sickly...
Third shot is a winner, a great moment and great expressions (the little girl needs the same look in the first image...) and editing is almost spot on. I'd like to suggest separating the faces and hair from the wall a bit, they almost appear to blend in.
Thanks for the input, its definitely appreciated ! I can see what you mean about the first girls face, sadly she was not posed for the pic I just happened to see her staring in wonderment at flowers so grabbed the pic.. be nice to know what she was actually thinking! :)
She also had the attention of the paid photographers for a large part of the day..... not surprisingly.

For the two kids I was trying to get just the slightest amount of pink left in the cheeks and lips, but take your point.... it was actually a desaturation of the kids only.. the wall they are against is almost as shot so has that dark pure black and white look... great backdrop !

Just one more... I'm in two minds with this, part of me really likes the feel of it and its innocence... the other part thinks the eyes make her look like a devil child.... again not posed, though she seemed to know when the camera was on her.
IMG_7944_1024.jpg

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Been getting pretty bored with this weather in Sydney so I decided to scroll through some old pics on the external hard drive.
I came across this one from May 2011 and decided to try something different.
Thoughts??

6947858531_05355dded8_b.jpg

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Effort from last night using a D7000 with Nikkor 35mm at f10 20sec
Comments would be appreciated
Been getting pretty bored with this weather in Sydney so I decided to scroll through some old pics on the external hard drive.
I came across this one from May 2011 and decided to try something different.
Thoughts??

**Snip of nice shot**
Very nice lads! Well done!
Craig, I'm really liking the new watermark. Very professional.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Very nice lads! Well done!
Craig, I'm really liking the new watermark. Very professional.
Cheers, I had a friend (graffic designer) do it for me as I'm useless at these things.
Trying to get in as much practice before I got to NZ in 5 weeks so I don't waste my money.
Macquarie Rivulet at the base of Macquarie Pass this morning.

6805256978_c2e4e98187_z.jpg

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys

I'm going to purchase a camera very soon and I know what I would like and I know how much I'm paying and so but I'd just like to gather knowledge and idea on the matter. I'm looking to buy a canon 60d or maybe eve a 7d, they seem to be good value for money and they fulfill all criteria I have and also had a few extras, I wanted a camera with a resonable shutter speed for action shots and so on but also some thing I could leave on a long exposure. It needed to be around the $1000-$1300 range and preferably a canon. I have sourced a 60d at staff price through contacts and it will cost me $1015 direct from canon with an 18mm-200mm lens. I would have preffered a smaller lens for various reasons but also wanted a longer range lens for panaramic shot of mountains and sky and so on. So what are your thought on the matter? here http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/60D is link to canon website and the 60d if anyone was after info on it for any reason, and help would be greatly apperciated