Home Brew

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put this on last weekend. Changed my mind on a typical Hoegaarden Belgian and went with a recipe I found called 'La Blanchomme'.

2kg dried wheat malt mix from G&G
1.5kg Coopers liquid wheat malt
1kg orange blossom honey
Safale T58
40g Saaz pellets
2 Hallertau hersbrucker plugs
15g coriander seeds, crushed
15g grated ginger
25g orange zest
5g star anise, crushed
5g cardamom pods, crushed

Boiled about 9l, with 1kg of DME 20g Saaz at 30min,
Added the next 20g at 10min with the aromatics.

Strained into fermenter,added the rest of the malt and water to 25l, pitched yeast and dry hopped with 2 plugs.

Aiming for 7-8%, racked on Sunday due to excessive sediment, tasted awesome, will leave for another week in the fermenter, has quite a bit more sediment already so may add gelatine on Friday - I know racking & fining is not usual for a wheat beer but this one has heaps of sediment. Plan to bottle Sunday.
i've never tried making home brew. is the setup for this expensive? is it hard to make?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
A decent set up that includes everything you need for first brew will cost between $100 and $120. The brew your own starter kit includes fermenter, airlock, bottles, sterilising gear, ingredients and yeast. Most stores will let you for ingredients you like.

Difficulty is user determined. The simplest option (very, very simple) is called kit and kilo, which basically means a can of malt/carbohydrate syrup, 1kg of dextrose and yeast and water. Sterilise everything, make up to the right volume + temp, do a yeast starter then pitch then pitch the yeast. Allow to ferment, bottle, then drink really good beer.

The option above is quite a bit more intensive (and rewarding). It allows you to fine tune the exact flavours you like and can be equated to making a curry from premix to making a curry from scratch-the result isn't exponentially better, but it is a lot more rewarding and will be truly unique

I normall brew from a halfway point-still kit and kilo, but add in different boiled grains and hops which is kind of the best of both worlds.

For first brew I would go the kit and kilo option so you can get the techniques and process under control. Get more adventurous as you go.

Go talk to your local brew store-they are normally keen to get new people in because it is a hobby turned business for the and will be really passionate and supportive

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright,

So I've just bottled an LCPA clone which will take a few months (apparently) to mature properly.

I've got schoolies coming up in a month, and homebrew is cheap, can be bottled in plastic (perfect, no glass at hotels), and is just generally awesome.

Basically, I'm after a recipe for a lager brew that will be good 2-3 weeks after bottling. Realised that I can use our almost empty back fridge to keep the temperature down so 8-12 degree brews aren't a problem.

I'm super keen on Boags Premium Lager, if anyone knows a recipe that imitates and doesn't take an age to taste decent, could you please share?

stp0 rider

Likes Bikes
Bit of a grave-dig but here goes

Has anyone had any success with the OzTops fermentation kits?
Any interesting/succesful recipes that you have made which make some different and tastier ciders other then the ones provided in the kit?
thanks

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a grave-dig but here goes

Has anyone had any success with the OzTops fermentation kits?
Any interesting/succesful recipes that you have made which make some different and tastier ciders other then the ones provided in the kit?
thanks
Made all sorts of cidery stuff with these, the only real limitation I found is really gluggy juice like apricot or anything with preservatives. The tops don't last too long either, well they didn't for me anyway. Funny thing was that some of the cheapest and nastiest juice often made the best tasting 'cider'.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I'm getting out the old grave digging shovel and digging like buggery here, because I've just started brewing again. Done 7 AG Brew in a Bag style brews, no duds yet, but not all have turned out like I expected! It's been pretty successful so far, with a couple of christmas parties and NYE all but cleaning my stock out.

The public's favourite so far has been a Maris Otter / Nelson Sauvin / US05 yeast summer ale thing, although my personal favourite has been a Motueka/Pacifica IPA. I've currently got a Christmas Pudding spiced imperial red ale in secondary, a Maris Otter/SouthernCross Summer ale, and I've just ordered the makings for a Motueka/Pacifica IIPA. I brew in a very small flat near the sea with no garage (but a small basement storage unit with no power) so I can't run a fermentation fridge and haven't got space for a kegerator, but it's been good so far. Made most of the gear myself, apart from a plate chiller. When it's all up and running, it looks like a meth lab in my kitchen.

I haven't re-read the entire thread, but is anyone else doing all-grain brews here?

bransly

Likes Dirt
Gday lads
started my home brew about 2 weeks back and am having a bit of trouble with it i think. firstly the airlock was never bubbling (although i have read this happens sometimes?) and after two weeks the hydrometer hasn't got a reading yet. I follwed a pale ale style set and have maintained temperature at 22-24. The one thing i might have stuffed up is i waited for about an hour at the start in order to get the right temperature before adding the yeast?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Gday lads
started my home brew about 2 weeks back and am having a bit of trouble with it i think. firstly the airlock was never bubbling (although i have read this happens sometimes?) and after two weeks the hydrometer hasn't got a reading yet. I follwed a pale ale style set and have maintained temperature at 22-24. The one thing i might have stuffed up is i waited for about an hour at the start in order to get the right temperature before adding the yeast?
Did you take a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast? Whatis the Hydrometer reading now? What was the "right" temperature? What was the recipe?

Got to love home brew there's nothing better than coming back From a ride and sitting down at my bar with the boys..... Nothing like having 6 kegs on tap :very_drunk::very_drunk:

jazzyj

Squid
I haven't re-read the entire thread, but is anyone else doing all-grain brews here?
Yeah, I am doing All Grain. Have not done a batch in a few months, but now the stocks are low, Ill be doing some more again

I love it. Fun Hobby.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Free stuff

I'm about to start using kegs instead of bottles and have about 200 long neck bottles up for grabs. Free in Melbourne, pick up only, they are boxed and ready to go. PM me for more details.

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
You can even mess about and add things . I have done full chocolate brews ( chuck in some coffee too ) . Strawberry topping for a ` strawberry blonde ` brew that is amazing . Theres heaps of combos out there , be adventurous .

my bro and me are making our home brew setup at the moment, were using kegs kept in a domestic fridge with built in taps on the door. helps when one of your mates is a fridgey ;) looking forward to some good beer soon!

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Hey drunkards. I'm looking at brewing a chilli chocolate stout and wondered if anyone had some recipes or tips? Cheers.

jazzyj

Squid
My tip is. Don't do it. I love chilli and I love beer. But never at the same time.
If you must, here is the all grain recipe I use for a chocolate stout.

5kg Pale Malt
340g Crystal 80L
300g Black Patent
200g Chocolate Malt

Mash at 67 degrees

17IBU's of Fuggles @ 60 mins
8 IBU'S of Fuggles @ 5 minutes

Add 225g of unsweetened Cocoa Powder in the final 15 mins of the boil

Use your preferred english ale yeast and ferment at 19 degrees

Now if you want to go chilli, I would wait until fermentation is almost complete. Throw in a few chopped chilli's into a hopsock and try the beer every day until you get the level of chilli you are after.
Then bottle / keg.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
My tip is. Don't do it. I love chilli and I love beer. But never at the same time.
+1. Chili beer is almost always stupid. Nearly as stupid as the beer I made with the boil water from last year's christmas puddings.

You could follow jazzyj's recipe and add some vanilla beans instead of the chillis for a real treat. See if you can get ahold of some Holgate Temptress and see if you like it first though!

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the recipe and the tip guys. Mate, I've gotta ask, how drunk were you when you decided it would be a good idea to make Christmas pudding flavoured beer.