29er wheels

Lard

Likes Dirt
I've built enough to know
294mm all around
And if you need spokes...PM me, I know where you can get them
Sorry Win I wasn't trying to discredit your knowledge of the build, I just thought extra info direct from stans might be helpful.

Win

Likes Dirt
The Crest rims are proving to be reliable
Those Stan's measurement look more for the slightly smaller ERD of the 355 or Arch

trickle

Likes Dirt
The Crest rims are proving to be reliable
Those Stan's measurement look more for the slightly smaller ERD of the 355 or Arch
I have ridden my recently rebuilt crest ( replaced a 355) and it has lasted more then 6 rides! Even on rocky single track!!!

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Well I hover around the 78-80kg mark. Do you think I should go for the Arch rims instead at my weight?
yes. at 80kg, on a dished wheel, if you're anything more than a bike path rider you'll flex the bejeesus out of a crest. Get crests if they're an 'only wheel'. Crests are the second-lightest alloy rim in the world. You might be fine with them, if you have decent finesse, but I wouldn't get too attached.

I weight 67kg dripping wet, after a meal and before a shit. I ride ztr355s, undished.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
I'll throw my comments into the mix since I now have 3 sets of 29er wheelsets.

1. Industry Nine Enduro w/ Stan's Flow
2. Hadley 29er SS w/ Stan's Flow
3. Chris King w/ Stan's Arch

Of the three of them the i9's have the most rigidity, hands down, you can turn the front wheel 90 degrees and pedal and they won't flex, this is evident on the trails. No amount of abuse will cause this wheelset to bend or flex.

My Chris King wheelset is built superlight for XC racing, so it has some definitely flex, not a fault of the hubs or the wheelbuild, it's the nature of the beast when going lightweight.

The Hadley's are between the two, they run Flow Rims so they have nearly equal stiffness with the i9. I will say that Hadley hubs are nearly indestructible, anyone from the Downhill arena will have experience with them. They're great for a XC race bike, just a couple grams heavier than Kings, easily service, and indestructible.

Short Vid of the Hadley. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5S5-P_oKo

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Well I hover around the 78-80kg mark. Do you think I should go for the Arch rims instead at my weight?
I'm 90kg and use Arch rims on most bikes, 355s on my race bike which is actually a race only bike. If I ever got down to 80kg again I would reward myself with a singlespeed 355 wheelset.

- Joel

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Been reading with interest.

I run Crests on 240's for my 'race only' wheel set. Had 'em built by Greg at TWE (still cant speak highly enough of his work).
Anyway - he was very clear with me that although I wanted revolution spokes all-round, he build the drive-side with some heavier 'comp' spokes. He had built some with revo's all-round, but they were too flexy, and loosened a bit.

I couldnt be happier. 1450grm wheels, perfectly true (having raced 3 marathons, XC nationals rounds, and a bunch of fast training sessions).

I'm not sure about this 80kg business. Sure, as a general rule, but if you're smooth, and thoughtful (surely you are that sort of rider if you are even considering Crests) you'll be fine.
I'm 81kg (apres shit!) and ride a hardtail fairly hard.

BTW - training wheels - Arches on Hopes, with scaffold pipe spokes ;)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Of the three of them the i9's have the most rigidity, hands down, you can turn the front wheel 90 degrees and pedal and they won't flex, this is evident on the trails. No amount of abuse will cause this wheelset to bend or flex.
Would you put that down to the alloy spokes?

jrh

Likes Bikes
Soft rims??????

I've recently built a set of Stans 355 29ers on 240 hubs laced with revo spokes. I also own a set of Stans arch 29ers built by TWE. I put a substantial flat spot in the rear 355 today on the 2nd ride. I was on the regular trails I ride which have never had an adverse effect on the Arch's. The only difference is the tyre size. I usually run conti race king 2.2 all round but used a 2.0 on the rear 355.The bag on the 2.2 is substantially larger than the 2.0
Would that create extra force on the rim when absorbing big hits? I realise the 355 isn't as strong as an arch but not to the point where I would stuff the rim.Any thoughts on this. I am now a confirmed X weight weenie.

Lard

Likes Dirt
yes. at 80kg, on a dished wheel, if you're anything more than a bike path rider you'll flex the bejeesus out of a crest. Get crests if they're an 'only wheel'. Crests are the second-lightest alloy rim in the world. You might be fine with them, if you have decent finesse, but I wouldn't get too attached.

I weight 67kg dripping wet, after a meal and before a shit. I ride ztr355s, undished.
Ok I think I'm convinced, I do want a light wheelset, but I don't want something that might be out of shape after a few rides. Arch's it is!

Nath8

Likes Dirt
I've recently built a set of Stans 355 29ers on 240 hubs laced with revo spokes. I also own a set of Stans arch 29ers built by TWE.
Were your Arch wheels built with Revo spokes? Revo spokes are a race only option. For normal trail riding, you'll be forever back to your wheel builder getting them trued! For the extra 100 grams, comp spokes are the go.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Would you put that down to the alloy spokes?
The gauge of the spokes has a lot to do with it, and their design. i9's can be finicky for some folks, but properly maintained they can be the best experience ever. Finding spokes for them here can be a challenge, I keep sets of spokes from the US on hand just in case, with that being said, I've only ever replaced two spokes, and that was due to the chain being thrown and damaging them, not anything wrong with the hub or rim.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
ringle black flag

A couple of people have mentioned the ringle black flag wheels set in this string, but has anyone actually ridden them? looks like they're a Stan's arch and ringle's straight pull hub. which appears pretty good for about 1660g and $900ish. Do the late model Ringle hubs make as much noise as they did way back when I were 'lad? god I hope so.

dbm081

Likes Bikes
Can anyone suggest where to buy spokes from online? I am building a set of wheels (arch rims w/ hope pro single speed hub) for my 29er, and it seems unfortunately locally sourced spokes will cost me more than twice as much.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
A couple of people have mentioned the ringle black flag wheels set in this string, but has anyone actually ridden them? looks like they're a Stan's arch and ringle's straight pull hub. which appears pretty good for about 1660g and $900ish. Do the late model Ringle hubs make as much noise as they did way back when I were 'lad? god I hope so.
They're still pretty clicky. The rim looks more like an FRM/355 weight.

- Joel

galumay

Likes Bikes
My Shimano MT75 wheelset has arrived, very happy with them. The only drawback was that I couldnt get the Big Apple's to work on them. Impossible to get them to seal tubeless as the diameter just appears too large so the beads wont seal.

Went back to the Marathons for the time being, anyway the Shimano's are a nice light wheelset and certainly spin up nicely.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
My Shimano MT75 wheelset has arrived, very happy with them. The only drawback was that I couldnt get the Big Apple's to work on them. Impossible to get them to seal tubeless as the diameter just appears too large so the beads wont seal.

Went back to the Marathons for the time being, anyway the Shimano's are a nice light wheelset and certainly spin up nicely.
You operating a touring cycle there fella?

- Joel

galumay

Likes Bikes
You operating a touring cycle there fella?

- Joel
Not exactly! Most of my riding is to and from work, which is 13kms each way on a tarmac bike track thru the bush, a bit of road riding and some gravel - but no real off road or mountain biking.