29er wheels

krisko

Likes Dirt
I've recently built a set of Stans 355 29ers on 240 hubs laced with revo spokes. I also own a set of Stans arch 29ers built by TWE. I put a substantial flat spot in the rear 355 today on the 2nd ride. I was on the regular trails I ride which have never had an adverse effect on the Arch's. The only difference is the tyre size. I usually run conti race king 2.2 all round but used a 2.0 on the rear 355.The bag on the 2.2 is substantially larger than the 2.0
Would that create extra force on the rim when absorbing big hits? I realise the 355 isn't as strong as an arch but not to the point where I would stuff the rim.Any thoughts on this. I am now a confirmed X weight weenie.
Massive difference, consider the tall profile and the extra bag of the 2.2 race kings they will absorb more hits before putting the extra force on the rim. Weight shift has alot to do with it as well you may have been slightly on the saddle causing more weight on the rear end also.

All I know is I used Stans 355's for over a year with no flat spots on a hardtail using Race King 2.2's. Im 92kg's

I sold the wheels and bought American Classic's and they flat spotted 1st ride albeit with Crossmarks (go figure) a tyre like the Race King 2.2 makes a huge difference.

Now on the dually they haven't flat spotted again even when I ran Kenda 1.9's whilst I waited for my new 2.2 Saguaro to arrive.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
They're still pretty clicky. The rim looks more like an FRM/355 weight.

- Joel
I know it's a bit of a whank, but I love the "noisy is expensive" idea, It also reminds me to pedal more when I'm getting lazy! I reckon I'll have to try the Black flag wheels, They seem to have everything going for them.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I know it's a bit of a whank, but I love the "noisy is expensive" idea, It also reminds me to pedal more when I'm getting lazy! I reckon I'll have to try the Black flag wheels, They seem to have everything going for them.
I agree completely, which doesn't happen very often. Let us know how you go.

- Joel

hilo

Likes Bikes
Just as a quick follow up and for peeps out there that are collecting 'data'--I have been having great success for the last 2 months with the following setup:

Shimano 29er XT wheels
Specialized Purgatory 2.2 (I think that's the size) on the front
Specialized Captain 2.0 on the rear

Running tubeless with just some of that locally made sealant (sorry it's dark, can't be bothered going into my garage).

Wheels are true as anything.

Not one problem--all sorts of terrain. Pressure keeps pretty well. Kicks ass over the stock wheels of my 2010 GF Hi Fi Pro.

Also note I am currently 109kg so NOT light at all.

-- Hi Lo

galumay

Likes Bikes
Just as a quick follow up and for peeps out there that are collecting 'data'--I have been having great success for the last 2 months with the following setup:

Shimano 29er XT wheels.....
I am also running the same wheels, they feel really good, although I have only had them on a week or so.

Tried running my Big Apples on them tubeless, but its impossible to get the beads to seat, so I have had to stick tubes in them which is rather annoying, but the BA's are just such a great tire for my needs that until I come across something else that rolls as fast and fits to the XT's tubeless, I will be sticking with them.

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know of a good wheel builder in the Canberra area?
and what sort of price would I expect per wheel?
Cheers H.:confused:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Ordered Crest's from Wiggle in August, now PERHAPS delivery February

Either need to be patient or look at other options, lucky this will be a race-only set for us

Roland
Update. Wiggle have crest rims in stock and mine have been shipped.

Patience is a good thing, ordered September 2010, shipped January 2011

Roland

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
28 hole rims?

Who makes 28 hole rims for 29ers?
I`ve stuffed the rear Bontrager Race rim on my GF Paragon but the hub is still good as I`ve just replaced the bearings and given it an overhaul, so I don`t want to bin it. I know that Fulcrum have 28 hole wheels but I`ve had no luck finding them as rim only. Trek have yet to get back to the LBS about availability of rim only and I`ve had too much chocolate cake to go without a bike for much longer.
Anybody got any suggestions? (about the rims, not the cake)
Cheers
MH

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My only suggestion would be Velocity or similar and see if you can get a custom drilled rim.

Sun Ringle also do a 28H wheel (Black Flag?) - maybe rim options there?

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who makes 28 hole rims for 29ers?
I`ve stuffed the rear Bontrager Race rim on my GF Paragon but the hub is still good as I`ve just replaced the bearings and given it an overhaul, so I don`t want to bin it. I know that Fulcrum have 28 hole wheels but I`ve had no luck finding them as rim only. Trek have yet to get back to the LBS about availability of rim only and I`ve had too much chocolate cake to go without a bike for much longer.
Anybody got any suggestions? (about the rims, not the cake)
Cheers
MH
You could change to carrot cake, same calories but sounds healthier.

alternatively http://www.velocitywheels.com/store/product.asp?pID=30&cID=18

should get you out of strif.

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Here Is a Cat among the pidgeons !!!!
I weigh about 89 kilograms and ride a set of Hope Pro 2 hubs with Dt Supercomp spokes and ZTR Crest Rims Maxis Ignitor 2.1 on the front and a Crossmark 2.1 on the back running 30 psi Local and 40 psi for Enduro Races ( Capital Punishment 2011) and they are Still in fantastic condition.

I pick lines as best as I can, And try not to jump most of the time.
I Run them on a Anthem 29er set up with a hard suspension set 200psi in the rp23 and 60psi in the Front Fork.

The REASON I did not go for the Stans 355 is that they are listed with a weight restriction as the Crest's does not.

I would recommend these wheels to anyone !

Oh Yeah I purched them from USA Ebay ( Orion Cycles ) Recognised wheel builder.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
You could change to carrot cake, same calories but sounds healthier.

alternatively http://www.velocitywheels.com/store/product.asp?pID=30&cID=18

should get you out of strif.
Looked at them. Too narrow for my (lack of) riding style.
The only Velocity rim that that has been suggested to suit would be the Blunt SL, but it`s not available yet.

I`ll have to wait a few weeks and see if TWE have something. In the meantime its plan B, second hand wheel set to then go on my wifes Niner build once I`ve found a rim.

Cheers
MH

Beej1

Currently building up a Ti hardtail. I'm leaning heavily towards Easton Haven 29ers in black from eBay for $650 plus about $80 in shipping.

I got 2010 Easton Havocs for my SC Nomad and have properly abused the shit out of them. They are still true as the day I got them, and spin for ages. I go with what has worked for me in the past, so the Havens will be my splurge for this build.

Plus they look awesome.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently building up a Ti hardtail. I'm leaning heavily towards Easton Haven 29ers in black from eBay for $650 plus about $80 in shipping.

I got 2010 Easton Havocs for my SC Nomad and have properly abused the shit out of them. They are still true as the day I got them, and spin for ages. I go with what has worked for me in the past, so the Havens will be my splurge for this build.

Plus they look awesome.
Ti hardtail? You won't know yourself. More info please.:p

Havens review well.

Beej1

Yeah Jenson currently only have them for around $800 a set plus shipping, hence the eBay choice. But it'll be a while before I can get my hands on them - I'm building this thing up slowly as parts go on sale here and there. It's a budget build in all aspects other than the wheels (as mentioned) and cockpit (KCNC + Easton Monkeylite - which I already got cheaply in the past).

Plus:
Suntour 15mm fork (bit of an experiment)
Blackspire cranks 1 x 9 setup with 34t and Shimano XT bits.
As well as wheels, yet to get SLX brakes, tryes, pedals and one of those e-13 XCX-ST thingys.

Steve it's the one I was talking about last time we rode together at the new stuff. I'm getting the frame custom made by XACD, who make stuff for Carver and Voodoo apparently.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve it's the one I was talking about last time we rode together at the new stuff. I'm getting the frame custom made by XACD, who make stuff for Carver and Voodoo apparently.
Oops, that would be my memory failing me again. Sorry. :eek:

(Note to self...stay off the drugs during teenage years in the next life)

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Yeah Jenson currently only have them for around $800 a set plus shipping, hence the eBay choice. But it'll be a while before I can get my hands on them - I'm building this thing up slowly as parts go on sale here and there. It's a budget build in all aspects other than the wheels (as mentioned) and cockpit (KCNC + Easton Monkeylite - which I already got cheaply in the past).

Plus:
Suntour 15mm fork (bit of an experiment)
Blackspire cranks 1 x 9 setup with 34t and Shimano XT bits.
As well as wheels, yet to get SLX brakes, tryes, pedals and one of those e-13 XCX-ST thingys.

I would recommend a Stan's/Sun BST type tubeless wheelset over a UST wheel any day. The Eastons are well made and have nice hubs, but running Stan's tubeless versus UST is a no-brainer for me. Retail price here on Sun or Stan's wheels is about $800 as well, and they'll both be lighter than the Havens.

- Joel