Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
...they're pretty damn reliable and the fact that they're AWD.
I kept hearing this when I bought my Forester but I think the simple fact is that the 'Boxer' engine is a bag of worms. If you want reliability, get a Toyota.

If you're after a cheap Subaru though, consider the older, first generation Libertys?

floody

Wheel size expert
Harder to strip the heads than standard bolts
Yep, sure is hard to strip the head on a bolt you don't have tool to fit!

With a metric socket/spanner set of 10,12,14,17,19 and 21mm I could turn my skyline into a giant model kit. Gotta love standardisation.

blakie49

Likes Dirt
My Project: Xm Falcon
Hey i Bought this Xm falcon Last monday january the 25th. Its my first car and my plan is to Strip it back, Re-paint it and get it running smoothly. Its not going to be a Show car just a nice clean car for a runabout.

I have the time, place, and funds to support this project. Any questions about it that anyone has I will be more than happy to answer.

Heres a pic just before we started to take it apart.

I Will keep you updated with my progress.

After a few days of painting and paint stripping the car is getting close to be sprayed with primer. The Boot, Bonnet, and front two guards are going to be done today. Heres some pictures of the progress, Alot done in 7 days if you ask me!

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
I kept hearing this when I bought my Forester but I think the simple fact is that the 'Boxer' engine is a bag of worms. If you want reliability, get a Toyota.

If you're after a cheap Subaru though, consider the older, first generation Libertys?
Hmmmm....had a mildly worked MY98 wrx with said boxer engine, put about 200,000km on her without an issue....mate's dad has an MY94 that he bought brand new and he's put over 400,000km on it without issue.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Second nut used as a locking nut on the first if the first nut does not have a locking provision such as a nylon insert etc etc.

Harder to strip the heads than standard bolts
Maybe I wasn't clear enough - imagine a 16mm bolt (which is an uncommon spanner size) and a 16mm nut on the other end. Or 18mm. Whatever, it's annoying.

Definitely not locking nuts. I know what they are and have never seen them on a modern car. VW now do annoying things like using one time, 'stretch' bolts and other stupid things instead.

I disagree that triple square bolts are harder to strip. The engagement of the spline tool in the bolt doesn't seem as positive, the engagement depth doesn't seem as great and they generally just seem harder to get the 'feel' of - you're never quite as certain that the spline tool has properly engaged and is actually turning the bolt.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
I disagree that triple square bolts are harder to strip. The engagement of the spline tool in the bolt doesn't seem as positive, the engagement depth doesn't seem as great and they generally just seem harder to get the 'feel' of - you're never quite as certain that the spline tool has properly engaged and is actually turning the bolt.
Ahhhhh i thought you were talking about these

2009586938_ZhcvTfEA_12_point_bolt.jpg

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

mrcurlyhead

Likes Dirt
you've never met him have you?

It's obviously for more pimpshizzleness and so his hoes don't get bored
he knows how i roll;) but its not a tv lol its a mp3 unit/radio thing i can put tv if i wanted but ive sed it once befor im trying to VIP my car it will be done soon enough:D:D

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
he knows how i roll;) but its not a tv lol its a mp3 unit/radio thing i can put tv if i wanted but ive sed it once befor im trying to VIP my car it will be done soon enough:D:D
Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh @_________________________________________@

P.s we should swap avatars.