Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

juzzo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3 litre diesel 1990s-00s shape Hiace any good? What are they like on the highway? Anyone?

I spent some time driving a 2.8 diesel Hilux which was a gutless piece of shit... But I'm considering trying a trade on my R31 wagon toward a Hiace thats advertised here.
Ive been looking into them to. From the feedback ive been given is if they have been regularly serviced they will go forever, but if you plan on towing etc turbo it.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Don't have a good picture yet; but, the green Valiant in the middle, is mine. Valiant CM with a 265 Hemi. 100'000km's, no rust, all original. :D

Last edited:

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't have a good picture yet; but, the green Valiant in the middle, is mine. Valiant CM with a 265 Hemi. 100'000km's, no rust, all original. :D

I had a centura with a 265 hi stall and LSD. It was around 99-2000 and it could smoke every new HSV and rex out there. It was super fun but I broke it so much. I think that the old girl needed a level of respect I just did have when I was 20. Still get excited every time I see one.

skivi

Likes Dirt
dragged home a free Suzuki GT250 roller today with a late 60's T20/GT250 motor.

i've got: frame (with VIN), swingarm, rear shocks, spoked wheels, rear drum, front disk & caliper, forks, triple clamps and bars, centre & side stand, engine mounts, complete motor with twin Mikuni's. motor is out of frame but the frame is rolling.
i need: pipes, wiring, seat, tank, controls, cabling, lights, fenders, new tyres, all new bearings & bushes, nuts and bots etc.

this'll be a loooong term project as everything needs either replacing or rebuilding. motor turns over and could be of a hot spec i'm told. frame dates 75/76 and the motor is a GT but a very early say 69/70 which is essentially a T20 motor with a GT stamp on it. that's ok 'cos i like the simpler T20 look better. i'll probably make this a track bike, i'd like to rebuild the motor myself but have no space atm so it's all going into storage.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
dragged home a free Suzuki GT250 roller today with a late 60's T20/GT250 motor.

i've got: frame (with VIN), swingarm, rear shocks, spoked wheels, rear drum, front disk & caliper, forks, triple clamps and bars, centre & side stand, engine mounts, complete motor with twin Mikuni's. motor is out of frame but the frame is rolling.
i need: pipes, wiring, seat, tank, controls, cabling, lights, fenders, new tyres, all new bearings & bushes, nuts and bots etc.

this'll be a loooong term project as everything needs either replacing or rebuilding. motor turns over and could be of a hot spec i'm told. frame dates 75/76 and the motor is a GT but a very early say 69/70 which is essentially a T20 motor with a GT stamp on it. that's ok 'cos i like the simpler T20 look better. i'll probably make this a track bike, i'd like to rebuild the motor myself but have no space atm so it's all going into storage.
Any pictures yet? I nearly had a t20 racer I even went to look at one, but instead I came across my cottons :p I've also done extensive research on tuning them and can find most spares (I was preparing to race one) ive got a list of 20 or so sites on t20 racers also I swear I had a site on a really good looking seat and tank combo that was period correct.

skivi

Likes Dirt
could you PM me with some links if you've still got them Steve?
i know very little of the T20's. i saw about 2 dozen today at Phillip Island, pretty savage bikes. chatted with heaps of riders, met one really nice young guy who drove all the way from QLD with a CB125 he got last week for $900 and a super immaculate Honda CB400/4 RC replica with straight pipes that he started for me then blew my face off with. i'm pretty inspired to either get the Suzuki started or finish the H100 and make it a bucket racer. better finish the XR first!

mlsred

Likes Dirt
could you PM me with some links if you've still got them Steve?
i know very little of the T20's. i saw about 2 dozen today at Phillip Island, pretty savage bikes. chatted with heaps of riders, met one really nice young guy who drove all the way from QLD with a CB125 he got last week for $900 and a super immaculate Honda CB400/4 RC replica with straight pipes that he started for me then blew my face off with. i'm pretty inspired to either get the Suzuki started or finish the H100 and make it a bucket racer. better finish the XR first!
I'l see if I can round them up they are on my old computer so il yank it out of the roof for you and see what I can find. Your starting to get the mad motorcyclist disease (not like I have it) more dead motorbikes than running ones.

EDIT: forgot to ask where did you actually score a free t20 from?

and another edit this is by far the best T20 site I have found http://www.t20suzuki.com/

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Nice, should be interesting. There is a mint T20 which gets ridden to work by someone at UTas every day.

I'm a fan of the T125 Stinger, pretty unique sounding thing.

skivi

Likes Dirt
um Steve i got it from my friends boyfriend, he's a fitter & turner for Boeing, he's got projects every where but all cars/hot rods, his old man is involved with the HMRAV gave him the Suzuki many years ago hoping he'd race it one day but he's never been interested so he gave it to. his mini chewed it's 1275 and needs a rebuild so everything in the shed that could be tossed out was, just to make room.

here's the frame:

and my motor is already tucked away but it looks just like this, same heads and twin Mikuni's:

the XR got roadworthy today, rego on Wednesday then i hit the road. i think i've got the disease Steve, these things have cost me a fortune and i can't even ride them yet.

Attachments

mlsred

Likes Dirt
Nice, should be interesting. There is a mint T20 which gets ridden to work by someone at UTas every day.

I'm a fan of the T125 Stinger, pretty unique sounding thing.
The stinger is an awesome little bike its amazing how tiny they actually are though, my telstar has a stinger tank underneath the original tanks shell

um Steve i got it from my friends boyfriend, he's a fitter & turner for Boeing, he's got projects every where but all cars/hot rods, his old man is involved with the HMRAV gave him the Suzuki many years ago hoping he'd race it one day but he's never been interested so he gave it to. his mini chewed it's 1275 and needs a rebuild so everything in the shed that could be tossed out was, just to make room.

here's the frame:

and my motor is already tucked away but it looks just like this, same heads and twin Mikuni's:

the XR got roadworthy today, rego on Wednesday then i hit the road. i think i've got the disease Steve, these things have cost me a fortune and i can't even ride them yet.
I am truly jealous if I could have any old jap bike it would be a t20, they have a certain charm about them. Congrats on the license and your bike by the way, one day we should get out for a ride to classic style in seaford it really is something that must be seen.

fairy1

Banned
Well a few Volvo bits turned up today, I put in the snazzy boost control solenoid which did nothing for performance(yet). I will put the new wastegate actuator diaphram and uprated spring assy this week along with a new timing belt and water pump. After I replace everything that looks old I will do the tune and zorst, which I think will strangely be done from Rota Flow components.
I am still undecided on suspension, I'm tossing up between the Koni FSD or KW stage 3(adj comp, reb).

Toff

Likes Dirt
I'm in need of a bit of advice and I figured this would be the place to ask.

Currently I'm riding an under-powered, overly heavy road bike (points for guessing what it is). It's fine for getting around but it's not much fun to ride. I'm liking the idea of a motard (especially after slips rundown :D), but I've got no idea where to start with one. I'm assuming the cheapest way is to take a dirt bike and convert it, but which ones convert best? MX or Enduro bikes? Any particular models?

Whatever I get, It'll have to be LAMS approved, so that cuts the field down a fair bit. Cheaper the better too, not too sure how much the motard conversion would cost but I'm counting on less than $1,500, or is that a bit optimistic? Electric start and 4-stroke are preffered.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
I'm in need of a bit of advice and I figured this would be the place to ask.

Currently I'm riding an under-powered, overly heavy road bike (points for guessing what it is). It's fine for getting around but it's not much fun to ride. I'm liking the idea of a motard (especially after slips rundown :D), but I've got no idea where to start with one. I'm assuming the cheapest way is to take a dirt bike and convert it, but which ones convert best? MX or Enduro bikes? Any particular models?

Whatever I get, It'll have to be LAMS approved, so that cuts the field down a fair bit. Cheaper the better too, not too sure how much the motard conversion would cost but I'm counting on less than $1,500, or is that a bit optimistic? Electric start and 4-stroke are preffered.
I'l take a stab at a hyosung. I would rather ride a ride on lawn mower.

For your learners an enduro style bike with slicks will be close enough to a proper motard, motards are awesome fun but I wouldn't recommend one to a learner on the road, they go everywhere sideways and on the back wheel which is the greatest feeling in the world but for someone reasonably new to the road it could be dangerous.

I'm quite happy with my xjr400 and would seriously recommend one to anyone new to the road, i've cracked 230 on mine which isnt a bad effort for a little 400, there is also heaps of room for improvements and upgrades.

tudorsi

Likes Dirt
This is my current bike.

It's a Kawasaki GT750 1985 model. I got it for $200 from my neighbour and am planning on painting it Kawasaki green and getting the leather re-done on the seat then selling it off, will post more pics up as it progresses.

Toff

Likes Dirt
I'l take a stab at a hyosung. I would rather ride a ride on lawn mower.

For your learners an enduro style bike with slicks will be close enough to a proper motard, motards are awesome fun but I wouldn't recommend one to a learner on the road, they go everywhere sideways and on the back wheel which is the greatest feeling in the world but for someone reasonably new to the road it could be dangerous.

I'm quite happy with my xjr400 and would seriously recommend one to anyone new to the road, i've cracked 230 on mine which isnt a bad effort for a little 400, there is also heaps of room for improvements and upgrades.
Correctamundo. It's embarrassing. Funnily enough I've had about 5 people randomly come up to me and say how awesome it is (this is ranging from 16 y/o kids to 30 y/o bogans to 50+ y/o seniors).

Fair enough on the learner call, I've been on the road for about 6 months though that's almost every day. I spose a powerful motard would be a bit too much but that's probably why the LAMS system is there. Don't spose anyone knows what the more powerful LAMS approved bikes are?

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Seriously Chris if you're only going to have it for a year or so don't get it, because you'll lose so much money on it through mods, depreciation, insurance etc. You'd be SO, SO much better off if you just drove what ever it is you drive now and saved the extra money to get a better EVO once you're off your P's.

Getting it sounds great now but once you've had it for a while you'll regret buying it if you're in the market for another car anyway.