The Photo Snob Thread

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Got my self a 430exII for Christmas, used it yesterday for some riding, wasnt happy with the results, not because of the flash, it worked well, but i didn't use it well enough i feel.

thoughts?

1000d, 18-55 , ISO200, f.10-13, 1/500-1/2500.

Drew.

Eats Squid
The capture of the splashing in the 1st looks great! Crystallised, almost.

Got my self a 430exII for Christmas, used it yesterday for some riding, wasnt happy with the results, not because of the flash, it worked well, but i didn't use it well enough i feel.

thoughts?

I think you used the flash fine, on ETTL, yeah? It did it's job, it kept all ambients at a nice level, including sky (did you use any filters?) and lit up the subject well; however, i face this same problem at my local park, but there's a lot of f**king annoying tree's that always make their way into the frame! And it makes it so busy and distracting, so i know you have the kit lens, but maybe try and use it closer to 55mm to try and get a greater separation between rider and trees, unless you have a nice, less tree cluttered background to aim to.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
thanks man, yeah on ETTL for the moment, no filters, i have a 55-250mm and a 50 1.8 aswell, and last week a did use the 55-250 at 250f.5.6 just for a try to get the shallow depth of field, and i realise that my 50mm 1.8 would also be good for this, but the 250mm meant i could sit down and take photos(hehe). They turned out ok, but the reason i use 18mm/f.11 is because i like the rider to be very sharp and i have not really had a huge amount of success in a shallow depth of field! I guess this will come with experience.

I do love your riding shots i must add, the one you posted a week or so ago with the separation from the trees was awesome.

thanks for the tip, must go try it again now ;)

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt

*snip*

thoughts?

I think they look great, especially the first. Was the flash on camera or off camera?

A couple more of mine from glebe.

^^nikon D90 18-55 fisheyed on PS

^^Canon EOS5, 50mm with kodak 400 film.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's alot to learn from the man but is Ken Rockwell worth taking note of? He knows his stuff there's no denying but I'm finding it hard to find usefull practical info. when he talks about using a camera it's always so damn laterally.

Sure a creative composition needs to be made or put together with a lateral approach but I'm wanting some real hands on practical reading. Anywhere I should be looking?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
There's alot to learn from the man but is Ken Rockwell worth taking note of? He knows his stuff there's no denying but I'm finding it hard to find usefull practical info. when he talks about using a camera it's always so damn laterally.

Sure a creative composition needs to be made or put together with a lateral approach but I'm wanting some real hands on practical reading. Anywhere I should be looking?
Ignore everything Ken Cockwell says. The man really is useless. In terms of settings, composition etc, your camera's manual really is the best place to start.

Drew.

Eats Squid

Who/why is this Ken Rockwell guy so significant? I've never heard of him, and just did a search then and all of his images seem quite average to be honest. ?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been reccomended to read his stuff by a few people and I've seen his name pop up in here a few times.

Point taken leitch, will ignore everything he says. Read the manual a few times and constantly using it as a reference but it's not very detailed.

Anyway enough from me, I don't want to be like every other kid that asks all the questions before looking first.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Some of you may remember a while back I was flipping up what zoom lense to get for my K10D. Well, funnily enough I went into a small camera shop in town where they have a whole lot of second hand lenses on display. I was scanning over them, and right at the back something caught my eye. A Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, in Pentax mount. Price tag said $450. F*cking awesome.

Asked the guy at the desk about it and he said it was brought in by someone who'd bought it brand new from the shop a few weeks earlier (for $1,760), and they'd decided it wasn't the lense they really wanted, so they put it up for sale in the window. He had no idea what price it was (they just give the money to the seller if and when the item sells), and when he saw it was $450 he seemed pretty surprised.

Very happy, now I've got the 10-20 for the wide stuff, and the 24-70 for some zoom. Has worked out well so far!

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Quoted for Truth.

Did anyone get any new gear for xmas? Or did I miss people posting that?

G'day Tupper, Santa was good to me this year, I picked up a Nikon D300 and a Nikon 10.5mm fisheye off a certain someone ;) I love them already, the 51 point autofocus is outstanding... where has it been all my life!

Will start posting pics soon, I don't think i'm doing the camera as much justice as the last owner though, but i'm having a ball.

Oh I also picked up an old Nikon MF 135mm f2.8 and it's sharp sharp sharp!

So my kit at the moment is:

*Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye
*Tokina 17mm f3.5 prime
*Nifty fifty
*Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
*Nikon 55-200mm VR
*Nikon 135mm f2.8 prime

I'm looking to buy a 10-24mm or 18-35mm or similar, so if anyone has something let me know.

Super Super stolked at the moment!

Was Santa as kind to you as he was to me?

Very happy, now I've got the 10-20 for the wide stuff, and the 24-70 for some zoom. Has worked out well so far!
I've heard good things about both of those lenses, good work! Looking forward to seeing some photo's from you.

Last edited:

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Nothing spectacular. Just testing out the 85L for taking photos of my bike.

And the current favourite photo of my four-wheeled vehicle.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Who/why is this Ken Rockwell guy so significant? I've never heard of him, and just did a search then and all of his images seem quite average to be honest. ?
Read this. I dunno why someone would waste so much internet space on people 'looking' like photographers. I've used his lens reviews as a resource in the past but they are so anecdotal and contrived. At least he has the specs listed...

Tangcla; nice NRS mate!

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
So my kit at the moment is:

*Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye
*Tokina 17mm f3.5 prime
*Nifty fifty
*Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
*Nikon 55-200mm VR
*Nikon 135mm f2.8 prime

I'm looking to buy a 10-24mm or 18-35mm or similar, so if anyone has something let me know.
I would suggest something like the 18-35 or a mid range wideangle zoom. You have a fisheye and a 17mm and then nothing inbetween there and the 50mm.