The Photo Snob Thread

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What camera? AI Focus takes a while to switch to servo mode, in my experience it's usually too late by the time it does switch.
450D, was shooting on the day with shutter speeds of between 1/1000 and 1/4000, f/4.0 ISO 200 to ISO 800, the sun was dancing between clouds, being a bit annoying.

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Yeah - I think you'll find AI Focus is going to take a while to switch to servo mode. Best to change ti to servo if you know you're going to be shooting something moving.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah - I think you'll find AI Focus is going to take a while to switch to servo mode. Best to change ti to servo if you know you're going to be shooting something moving.
Yeah, I just rememebred something :p, I was noticing that! I swapped to manual focus as the rope is the same length constantly, it was working much better :) I think that second shot was taken after I swapped to manual focus, but I Can't be sure about that. I was starting to have a tough time about 15 mins after that shot, water got a bit choppy and at 250 zoom I felt like a grandma, couldn't keep the boarder in the frame :p

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I just rememebred something :p, I was noticing that! I swapped to manual focus as the rope is the same length constantly, it was working much better :) I think that second shot was taken after I swapped to manual focus, but I Can't be sure about that. I was starting to have a tough time about 15 mins after that shot, water got a bit choppy and at 250 zoom I felt like a grandma, couldn't keep the boarder in the frame :p
At 250mm at f/4 you've got quite a thin DoF, I think MF would have definitely been a fair bit more difficult (unless you had it locked on right).

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Some black and white cuties.

Photos are pretty average, but i fucking love the DOF at f/2 with the 135L.

Im in Love.

*disregard the blown highlights, Im too lazy to bother.

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Does anyone know if anyone makes an aftermarket LCD for say, a 5d or 1ds Mark II? A little lcd that you can plug in to eliminate the need to use the shit screens on them.

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know if anyone makes an aftermarket LCD for say, a 5d or 1ds Mark II? A little lcd that you can plug in to eliminate the need to use the shit screens on them.
Not that I know of but you can shoot tethered to a PC or laptop... so in theory it would be possible.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Yeah. I don't really want to carry a laptop around with me when i'm shooting, though. :p

Just after using my friends 5d today, the colours on the LCD screen just look shit, there where so many photos i just wasn't stoked on and i was getting frustrated because i couldn't get the colours right, however, i then put that card in my 40d and they where like completely different photos.

tangcla

Likes Dirt
Yeah. I don't really want to carry a laptop around with me when i'm shooting, though. :p

Just after using my friends 5d today, the colours on the LCD screen just look shit, there where so many photos i just wasn't stoked on and i was getting frustrated because i couldn't get the colours right, however, i then put that card in my 40d and they where like completely different photos.
Yes the 40D LCD is significantly better in colours than the 5D and 30D (which I think used the same LCD) - the colours are lot more vibrant and sharp on the LCD.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yes the 40D LCD is significantly better in colours than the 5D and 30D (which I think used the same LCD) - the colours are lot more vibrant and sharp on the LCD.
However, the resolution of the 40D screen is utter shit - increased screen size over the 30D but without increase in resolution? What a joke.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have seen ones being used with 5D mark II's and 7D's in video rigs.. they are about 20cm though, so quite large. Just plugs into the HDMI port I think.
So there is probably something you could use out there.. might have too look around because there probably won't be anything specific to cameras/photography.

tangcla

Likes Dirt
However, the resolution of the 40D screen is utter shit - increased screen size over the 30D but without increase in resolution? What a joke.
They didn't upgrade the resolution until the 5D Mark II. And what a beautiful LCD that is. ;)