The Photo Snob Thread

Nettheim

Likes Dirt
Any thoughts on the canon 70-200mm f/4? I can pick up a copy for $600 used and want to know if anybody here has had any experience with it.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any thoughts on the canon 70-200mm f/4? I can pick up a copy for $600 used and want to know if anybody here has had any experience with it.
Lightest and most compact 70-200 out there. Very sharp, but I would buy an IS version over the non for that extra few stops in low light. f/4 is not very fast.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Well, it's been a fucking age since I posted photos here. So bear with me. Went for a little walk before (I'm in Sydney at the moment) with the 5D and 35L combo, and I'm very pleased now. I hadn't really had a chance to use it previously so I'm glad to be in a place where I'm eager to shoot. Today, I shot everything from the hip. The only time I looked through the viewfinder was walking out the front door to make sure the centre focus point was selected. It's a bit of a gimmick but I like the results for their ad-hoc quality.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Hey guys. I got this the other day with one of my Christmas pressies (Nikon D3000). Anyway, what do you all think?
Whats the go with the watermark? Nice shot though, the details in the moon look good. Theres also a lot of noise in it too, I fear that running some sort of noise reduction in PP would probably result in a loss of that detail in the moon, so you probably chose the lesser of two evils.

How do you rate the D3000?

RCOH

Eats Squid
Leitch, you and Tristan should come on the wednesday night ride this week. Will be a good photo op, not to say ride and drink.

Last edited:

Nettheim

Likes Dirt
Lightest and most compact 70-200 out there. Very sharp, but I would buy an IS version over the non for that extra few stops in low light. f/4 is not very fast.
Well defiantly compared to the F/1.2. I don't know if I can justify spending the extra $400-500 on IS when it may only be on afew occasions when i miss shots because im missing IS.
For the saving I may just compensate with boosting the iso

Whats the go with the watermark? Nice shot though, the details in the moon look good. Theres also a lot of noise in it too, I fear that running some sort of noise reduction in PP would probably result in a loss of that detail in the moon, so you probably chose the lesser of two evils.

How do you rate the D3000?
Mum was having a whinge about me posting my photos on the net and people using them or something like that. In my opinion, my photos aren't good enough for people to steal or use but if it keeps her happy.

I might try and see what looks best. The original, before darkening looks a bit better.

As for the D3000, from the little ammount of time that I have used it in the past couple of days I'm pretty happy with it. It is my first dslr so I don't have any experience with any others but it seems to do the job fine. Its light, not too big and takes nice clear photos.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. It's a bit of a gimmick but I like the results for their ad-hoc quality.
Sweet mate, Love the last one!

Well defiantly compared to the F/1.2. I don't know if I can justify spending the extra $400-500 on IS when it may only be on afew occasions when i miss shots because im missing IS.
For the saving I may just compensate with boosting the iso
True, well it seems that you didn't really need to ask our opinions then, if you don't need the IS.. get it. For that price, its about $200 cheaper than new?

tre0001

Likes Dirt
first processed shots from the holidays, let me know what you guys think :) and which you think is better as they are both so similar and i cant pick the better one :p

NEEDCASH!

Likes Dirt
Both are great. But I'd have to say the first is the better one.

One question, what program do you guys to view your RAW photos? Windows Photo gallery lags heaps and always freezes. Any help would be great :)

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both are great. But I'd have to say the first is the better one.

One question, what program do you guys to view your RAW photos? Windows Photo gallery lags heaps and always freezes. Any help would be great :)
Photoshop :) or Lightroom, farout this is my first reply with this v4.0, i'm a little confused, all the faces look the same :p

nizai

Likes Dirt
Snobbers,

I have an old school film Nikon macro lens that has been a fantastic cheap addition to my kit until recently on holiday it locked up, and now the focus ring is stuck dead. It actually belongs to my dad and I need to get it fixed. This one actually...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55af.htm

But alas I am a bit over using it anymore, and want something made in the digital age to accompany my macro shooting in future.

So. What lenses do snobbers recommend for Macro? I'd love something pretty fast and sharp. Will go third party if a good option is available.

N

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Sorry if there's a few too many, bit carried away. ;) All pretty experimental.

Christmas beads.

Cigarette stack.

Playing with smokes again.

Nice grass.

And here's one from a while ago, don't think i've posted it...

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Snobbers,

I have an old school film Nikon macro lens that has been a fantastic cheap addition to my kit until recently on holiday it locked up, and now the focus ring is stuck dead. It actually belongs to my dad and I need to get it fixed. This one actually...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55af.htm

But alas I am a bit over using it anymore, and want something made in the digital age to accompany my macro shooting in future.

So. What lenses do snobbers recommend for Macro? I'd love something pretty fast and sharp. Will go third party if a good option is available.

N
Camera Clinic in Melbourne can repair it for you though it's $45 just to get the lens inspected. It is possible that the ring has grits in it or something...

Current Nikkor picks are the AF 60mm f/2.8G and the AF 105mm VR f/2.8G. I can only speak for the non-VR105mm on my D90 but I thought having a little more length (compared to say your 55mm) worked well in many situations. VR would further the hand held capabilities of the lens. (Probably get more useful information off a quick google actually...). A collegue of mine is looking at the 105mm f/2.8G VR and I believe it's up around $1300 where as the non-VR is a fair amount less.