Your latest AM Adventure - Pics, Videos, Stories

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hippy, absolutely loved your video. Trail was nothing out of the ordinary, but the angles and music made it something special!!

Really put a smile on my face. :D

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Hippy, absolutely loved your video. Trail was nothing out of the ordinary, but the angles and music made it something special!!

Really put a smile on my face. :D
hey cool mate, can't ask for much more that - thanks!

trail is fun, but like just about everywhere to ride round here it isn't a legit MTB trail so as tempting as it is to build onto it, best to make do with it as it is. puts a smile on my face too, so yeah job done! :p

Ivan

Eats Squid
So, after being sick for 2 weeks with the flu, I bought the latest AMB mag this morning, and the NZ DVD was the motivation I needed to get out on the bike again.

Over the last 2 weeks of staring at the bike in the shed, I've made a few changes to my set-up. The rear monarch shock got swapped out for an RP2 I had sitting around, just to see what the difference would be, a new X7 rear shifter got installed, and I moved my seat forward by ~15mm. I haven't been entirely happy with the pedalling position on this bike, and I roughly calculated that at my seat to BB length, moving my seat forward by 15mm would be equivalent to increasing the ST angle by 1 degree.

Whilst I was at it, I decided to throw on some flat pedals for a change. The guy on the DVD who rode the 100k event on flats made me feel like it was worth the experiment.

I rode some of my regular loops, and the pedalling position is improved. This bike is overkill for the local tracks, but it's what I bought before I knew I was moving here.

The flat pedals definitely make for a tougher ride on the lungs, but make sketchy corners and trail features more fun. My bunny-hopping and manualing has definitely gone backwards since i started regularly riding clipped in, so I am going to leave the flats on for a while to work on these skills.

smokem

Squid
Digitalhippie - where are the 'butts' trails?

I have ridden one of the downhill tracks at Maldon, the one that basically shadows the shuttle road... The 'easy' one apparently.

I ride a Specialized Enduro, do some light DH, mainly trail / AM stuff...

Just moved to Riddells Creek, looking for more trails up this way. Ridden the main wombat loop, and the above mentioned at Maldon.

Any more suggestions?

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
heya smokem,

The Butt's is on the other side of the sealed road from the toilets, at the bottom of Mt Tarrengower. There's an old large wooden shelter there and a fairly large flattish dirt area where people camp, watch the folk festival etc. There's a downhill trail that works its way down to The Butts on that same side of the road, plus a collection of other tracks and trails. ATM you've gotta do some looking around and working things out - there are a couple of single track entries from The Butts, plus a couple of 4wd tracks that head up hill.

Sounds like you headed down the Valley run when you were there. The next across is City, then Rockin, then one they used for the downhill round the other week, then Lawrence St - I think that's the correct names and order anyway. They're all worth checking out, though for a faster, flowy less DH specific kinda fang Lawrence St is good fun imo. But with all the granite and stuff the run above The Butts is a lot different to all the other ones.

If you're at Riddells Creek definitely worth exploring around Mt Macedon/Macedon and Woodend, ton of stuff there in addition to main Wombat loop.

There's a heap of stuff around Castlemaine too, much more than just the Pineys.

Very lucky imo as there's a lot of good riding options around Central Vic, regardless of time of year and weather conditions.

I guess in all cases hooking up with local guys could be the way to go, especially the Wombat MTB guys since you're at Riddells, but if you're like me and the hours you work kinda mean you mainly ride by yourself it's worth scouring GPS sites like http://connect.garmin.com/explore

If you're ever heading up this way you're welcome to drop me a PM or whatever, might be able to head out with ya or rough out some maps.

indica

Serial flasher
On that side the track used to be called "terror" and there was another we dubbed "the kids track" as the local kids had made it.
Top started at the same place as the rest, but from Valley went across and down the road for a bit then across the other side.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
thanks Indica, yeah Terror, couldn't remember the name of that run on the butt's side of the road.

smokem should've just done a rough map of where the butt's are etc. here's one attached. you can make your way up through that area, or another way to go is ride up the sealed road then head bush roughly where the red line is, to the top of the hill near the road and you'll come across the single track that heads down to the bottom. lots of stuff to mess around on in there.

thebutts.jpg

smokem

Squid
Digitial - thanks for the info!

Looks good. Going to try and head up there this weekend and have a look around.

Thanks again

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
I dodgy edit from a recent outing at Mt Cootha Brisbane. Shot on my crappy ebay helmet cam.
[video=vimeo;24823911]http://vimeo.com/24823911[/video]

Last edited:

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
mate that sounds great! have you got any pics taken along the route?

would love to give that a go. will PM if/when I can get myself organized enough to get over to Eildon - tracks ok there during winter?
Some photos from the short loop - taken this arvo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/adam.d.steer/TheRidgelineShortLoop#

Pretty good condition despite the wet, and motards, and 4wd'ers [seriously, 4wd tracks up the hike a bike.. something new... :-/ ]. Anyway, good value regardless!

Last edited:

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Some photos from the short loop - taken this arvo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/adam.d.steer/TheRidgelineShortLoop#

Pretty good condition despite the wet, and motards, and 4wd'ers [seriously, 4wd tracks up the hike a bike.. something new... :-/ ]. Anyway, good value regardless!
Looks great, thanks!

I've been looking over Parks Vic visitor map http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0362.pdf - any chance of a mud map of where the trails fit in?

I reckon it would be Spring before I got over there, but would love to check it out.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Looks great, thanks!

I've been looking over Parks Vic visitor map http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0362.pdf - any chance of a mud map of where the trails fit in? .
will PM... or get you via your website :)

While you're looking at that map though, the trail from wallaby bay round to school point [fraser campsite map] makes an excellent lakeside adventure - it will be quite slickery at the moment though. the pinnacle trail [on the larger scale map] is also on a list of interesting looking routes... I reckon the mountain bike usage clause on the visitor guide should be taken as an invitation to 'go ride!'.

So, come spring, there will be plenty of cause to visit the area [buxton, lake mountain, eildon NP, choose your own epic...]

Happy trails!

Adam

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
will PM... or get you via your website :)

While you're looking at that map though, the trail from wallaby bay round to school point [fraser campsite map] makes an excellent lakeside adventure - it will be quite slickery at the moment though. the pinnacle trail [on the larger scale map] is also on a list of interesting looking routes... I reckon the mountain bike usage clause on the visitor guide should be taken as an invitation to 'go ride!'.

So, come spring, there will be plenty of cause to visit the area [buxton, lake mountain, eildon NP, choose your own epic...]

Happy trails!

Adam
Thanks Adam, appreciate it!