Your favourite all mountain bike and why!

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
So guys. To throw a spanner in the works I now have the opportunity to to buy a 2015 large Spitfire frame with a CCinline for $2200. Seems like a good deal, especially seeing as I can get more parts added to the package at discounted prices eg Stealth reverb $250.
I have to make my mind up in the next few days and I won't be able to test ride one at all. The Capra is such a nice bike with such good parts at the $4300 price. What's everyone's thoughts on what my final build will cost, with Pikes and XT or equivalent build?

stu44

Farkin Advertiser
I did hear somewhere that Defcon might be handling the local warranty side of things. Get in touch with YT to find out.

Is the Capra more like the Rune though, leaning toward the down, not that that's a bad thing?

Even though you can't argue with the value, I'd try and throw a leg over a Spitfire for comparison. Ben at Singletracks does some great deals and can provide fully built if that's what you want?
Yup, we can confirm this is correct, we at Defcon are YT Oceanias Service and Logistics partner here in Aus. We currently have a small range of spares, and more coming, to help the Aussies out without the delays, we have nothing to do with selling them tho, still go through YT Web for that.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
So guys. To throw a spanner in the works I now have the opportunity to to buy a 2015 large Spitfire frame with a CCinline for $2200. Seems like a good deal, especially seeing as I can get more parts added to the package at discounted prices eg Stealth reverb $250.
I have to make my mind up in the next few days and I won't be able to test ride one at all. The Capra is such a nice bike with such good parts at the $4300 price. What's everyone's thoughts on what my final build will cost, with Pikes and XT or equivalent build?
Is that new? You should be able to get one for under $2K given 2016 is about to land.

At that price, a mix of new and used build will see you spend about the same as a Capra. If you have the time to shop around on the used market, you should be able to do sub $4K.

A better frame deal, good value used parts and some new 11sp XT stuff should see you around $3500 give or take.

Last edited:

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Is that new? You should be able to get one for under $2K given 2016 is about to land.

At that price, a mix of new and used build will see you spend about the same as a Capra. If you have the time to shop around on the used market, you should be able to do sub $4K.

A better frame deal, good value used parts and some new 11sp XT stuff should see you around $3500 give or take.
Yeah it's new. I haven't negotiated yet. That's straight off the street price in Indonesia
Edit: $1850 with dbinline

Last edited:

Boom King

$1850 is about right. The following is conservative pricing for quality second hand stuff unless stated as new. Good buying will see you pay less.

New M8000 XT mech, shifter, cassette and brakes $557 ex Wiggle.

Chain $30 (10 speed is fine)

NW ring $40

XT cranks with BB $120

Hope hoops $500

Pikes $600

Rotors $40

Dropper $150

Seat $30

Stem $50

Bars $50

Grips $25

Tyres new $80 ex Pushy's (Maxxis)

So just over $4100 being conservative. By second hand Zee stuff, cassette and XT brakes and you're closer to $3700.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Agree with everything Boom King has said except for the 10sp chain.

It's no good for 11sp cassettes

Boom King

Agree with everything Boom King has said except for the 10sp chain.

It's no good for 11sp cassettes
11sp chain is only a poofteenth narrower. Still, a new 11sp chain won't add much money to the build.

Ivan

Eats Squid
11sp chain is only a poofteenth narrower. Still, a new 11sp chain won't add much money to the build.
I've tried using a 10sp quick link on an 11sp setup, and it messed with the shifting. The 10sp link would rub on the side of the next taller cassette cog.

Clearances are getting tight.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
$1850 is about right. The following is conservative pricing for quality second hand stuff unless stated as new. Good buying will see you pay less.

New M8000 XT mech, shifter, cassette and brakes $557 ex Wiggle.

Chain $30 (10 speed is fine)

NW ring $40

XT cranks with BB $120

Hope hoops $500

Pikes $600

Rotors $40

Dropper $150

Seat $30

Stem $50

Bars $50

Grips $25

Tyres new $80 ex Pushy's (Maxxis)

So just over $4100 being conservative. By second hand Zee stuff, cassette and XT brakes and you're closer to $3700.
Well within budget. Actually I'd be able to splash out on a little more new stuff.
Just need to decide now. Banshee or Capra???

Boom King

Well within budget. Actually I'd be able to splash out on a little more new stuff.
Just need to decide now. Banshee or Capra???
Do the Spitty. If you decide you prefer the Capra, part it out. You'll lose very little money.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Do the Spitty. If you decide you prefer the Capra, part it out. You'll lose very little money.
Tough desicions!!! Both bikes look and review so well. I have not heard a bad thing about either. The spitty has such a loyal fan base, it seems I might just have to go that way as well

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
No worries swmtbr, happy to help. Keep in mind that once your order, you won't be expected to pay until 6 weeks before expected dispatch date. You could always cancel the order if circumstances change.
Koura Have you had much riding time since we caught up. Do you have any new ride reports/info. Have you ridden any long XC type rides on it at all?

big boys bike

sorry to be so late in on this one. I am almost a copy of you size and weight[ a tad shorter ] and am a really happy owner of a pivot mach 6. I also live in wa and it is a sweet bike for what we ride. Whilst it may be out of your price range they have just released the 2016 in alloy. May be worth a look. Cant talk the mach 6 up enough. The problem with a lot of advice is that someone pedalling a bike up a hill weighing 80 kg may be able to make it work but plonk another 20kg on and maybe it don't pedal as well. The mach 6 pedals as well as any trail bike i have ridden and point it downhill and hang on! The harder you push it the better it goes. Going up hill is a little strange at first but once you learn to carry your weight forward it will bomb up any of our hills.I ride the large frame and it fits me fine.Good luck with your bike buying, so many good bikes around now it spins your head.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Can't find the article I read.........if I drank, I'd call it a drunken imagining......might just be fuckwittery :noidea:
Defcon is providing support for YT in Oz. talked to Stuart at Crankworkx. Also wait and see what the YT Jeffsy is 7th April.