Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Darrel, what the feck, who on earth is Darrel?

Anyway, as you know, I know you are you are neither uneducated, nor an ignorant soul.

So, what do you surmise is the value, and recommended actions to be taken by folk from the post in question?

Panic, scream and shout about, take your kids to Port Phillip bay on a hot day, what exactly?

Last sentence, well for the life of me is what?

Google the saying - popular Australian film.

I couldn't give a toss where people swim

Go to bed RB - you are overheating

redbruce

Eats Squid
Google the saying - popular Australian film.

I couldn't give a toss where people swim

Go to bed RB - you are overheating
Nah, I'm cool but concerned about messages and subsequent perspectives and actions.

Thing is, I do give a toss about where people swim, that's the point, it's all about facts.

So, based on what has been presented so far, where would you and your kids swim (apart from the local pool)?

BTW, main Australian reference to Darrel on google is Darrel Lee. Other is Bob Newhart skit (me and my other brother Darrel, hmmm, unfortunately serves my point). Oh wait, found it, Aussie reference is "get your hand off it Darrel".

Last edited:

al_

Likes Dirt
Lol!

People have said they enjoy a mid-ride swim, particularly up the Warrandyte end of the river. It was just a suggestion that maybe it's worth checking water reports before enjoying a refreshing dip in turd soup.

And before you incorrectly lecture me about what I do for a job, maybe search for 'Yarra' in Hansard from last week.

THERE were no signs along the Yarra River in Warrandyte over the holidays warning swimmers the water was so polluted with faecal bacteria it could make them sick.

Instead, the state’s environment watchdog said it was happy with how it alerted swimmers to the potential danger – with a tweet.

Weekly water samples taken from the river in Warrandyte on December 22 showed E coli levels far above the amount considered safe for swimming.

The E coli count is an indication of faecal contamination that can make swimmers sick if the water is ingested.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Lol!

People have said they enjoy a mid-ride swim, particularly up the Warrandyte end of the river. It was just a suggestion that maybe it's worth checking water reports before enjoying a refreshing dip in turd soup.

And before you incorrectly lecture me about what I do for a job, maybe search for 'Yarra' in Hansard from last week.
Actually you said:
Anybody been for a swim in the river lately? Might be worth keeping your mouth closed...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/970247295dc064983c04005bfb48df9b
Lol indeed. Facts, no suggestion, no link to appropriate website for water reports. How exactly is that helpful, or truthful?

To be correct, I didn't lecture you about your'e job. I already know what you do for a job (Greens party isn't it, policy, perhaps a vested interest in presenting selective facts, and for what purpose given an increasingly educated, disbelieving and ultimately disaffected voting demographic).

I am also a scientist , and work with EPA scientists (albeit another Govt. agency), so have access to facts rather than just media grabs.

Hansard search brings up, nothing.

Happy to review evidence, have you a link?

Last edited:

al_

Likes Dirt
Why so precious?

Anyway, the EPA Yarra and Bay Watch is usually pretty good for day-by-day stuff, but they missed Parks Vic's toxic chemical spills up at Warrandyte last year. It took an FOI to get that info onto the public record. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...c-waste-into-yarra-river-20160109-gm2gr1.html

The Yarra is beautiful, but I would be careful swimming around Warrandyte in the same way I would at Elwood. Water contamination is hardly core business for Rotorburn anyway. It popped up in my clippings today and I thought it might be of interest to some.

al_

Likes Dirt
I replied before you edited your post and added a whole lot which I really can't be bothered dealing with.

I do work in politics, but not for a political party. Just FYI.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Why so precious?

Anyway, the EPA Yarra and Bay Watch is usually pretty good for day-by-day stuff, but they missed Parks Vic's toxic chemical spills up at Warrandyte last year. It took an FOI to get that info onto the public record. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...c-waste-into-yarra-river-20160109-gm2gr1.html

The Yarra is beautiful, but I would be careful swimming around Warrandyte in the same way I would at Elwood. Water contamination is hardly core business for Rotorburn anyway. It popped up in my clippings today and I thought it might be of interest to some.
You could have, but didn't provide the web links I did to allow the context and information to be accessed by this forum and general public.

Not sure failure to report by Parks to EPA is a failure of EPA. No one does continuous monitoring of waterways (cost) and only spot checked so if the incident occurs between checks, it will be undetected.

EDITED: for brevity

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jeez things took a bizarre turn since I last posted. Back to mtb stat!
Anyone else doing the Otway this Saturday?
what? MTBing??

Rode to Hans Sunday, I think this slow rain will make things beautiful in a couple of days!

I gave up on the Otway when they lost the Apollo Bay start.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
re 300, yep I'd almost have a crack if it wasn't so overpriced and on roads/trails I can ride for free lol, would be a challenge however.

Gee whiz, I hadn't popped by this thread for a couple of weeks or so but talk about people getting knickers twisted! Either a few people here need to get laid or they need to get out on their bike more. Either way there's a bunch of unnecessary static being thrown about & it'd be nice if people took a deep breath & left the personal insults or knee-jerk responses somewhere other than here. If need be I'm more than happy to facilitate a bout of slapping each other in the face with wet lettuces if it'll help you lot bury the hatchet & move on from whatever the cause of your grievances are.

Look, I'm not sure what's going on/gone on in the background or why a few people are getting their heckles up (at least not directly, going by what's being posted or linked in the last couple of days), but it'd be great if everyone (remember: we're all on the same side) put their differences to bed/stuffed it in a box & just chilled out a little. Thanks for raising the issue & making riders aware of the E.coli levels so everyone's a little more mindful if they are hitting the Yarra for a post-ride dip, Al. It's a valuable reminder for those who forget that there's phenomenal amount of agricultural/industrial run-off that finds its way into the Yarra.

Now that the end of summer's in sight & more riders are aware of the ongoing issues that the YT are faced with in the wetter months, I'd like to think that enough water's passed under the bridge, from a mtbers perspective, to drop the bulk of the 'us & them' mentality (both internally & externally) so as to consolidate on the great work that has been done to the trails this past 12mths. Mid-autumn, winter & early Spring are the prime times to be getting a bulk of the remedial works squared away so hopefully this year there will be a few more of the local Burners getting involved with the existing teams & assisting with the remedial works needed to keep the trails in check.

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I gave up on the Otway when they lost the Apollo Bay start.
I hear you C. Had done it every year until they moved it. Such a brilliant start to a race and the climbing up from sea level was a real buzz. Was thinking of doing it again just for a look, but not ready fitness wise so next year it is.

Hoping the rain helps. Rode the YT Sunday and it was dry as, particularly past the Rosanna golf course to Bonds. That area looks to be where things go to die!

And guys, that was a pretty impressive spat.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Im riding the 50 as well.

Been training on Lystie for months. I'm looking forward to the weekend away, a monster ride followed by too many beers.

I'll be the only guy riding a 29 Avanti coppermine.

For those who are riding, enjoy. In a few years you may not be able to do this. Suck it up while you can.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Came across a sizeable roo near burke road this evening. Was looking out for snakes rather than a big grey.. And just like the snakes it didn't want to move :) .. Can't recall seeing one around there too often.

Anyways, The few mm of rain has settled the dust between Heidelberg and burke rd ok. Won't last long though, plenty of riders out.