Yarra Trails regulars

Beej1

... In a few years you may not be able to do this. Suck it up while you can.
As in, are the numbers dwindling and it will one day cease to exist as an event?

Or because we'll be too old and fat?

Since fatherhood set in, I feel like the latter has already descended upon me.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
As in, are the numbers dwindling and it will one day cease to exist as an event?

Or because we'll be too old and fat?

Since fatherhood set in, I feel like the latter has already descended upon me.
hard with young kids NP to find the time to ride to have the fitness required and get the time to attend these events. My partner works every Sat or Sunday. i dont find riding helps that much to loose weight- it is all diet for me (not so much what i eat but how much). Cutting out bread, pasta and sugar is a great start.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont find riding helps that much to loose weight- it is all diet for me (not so much what i eat but how much). Cutting out bread, pasta and sugar is a great start.
Less Beer also, but who wants to live like that.. Especially if you have kids!

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Ride more and eat as much bread pasta sugar and beer as you want (within reason)! #carbthefuckup
It's one of the many reasons I ride. When I did my first 50k in 2012 I was 85kg. Lining up for the 100k on Saturday at about 73kg. Put 12kg in your camelback and see how it feels!Will be having a few beers Friday night too!

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what these events do is give you a focus and meaning/motivation to go the extra; to train and get fit.

to get a sense of achievement and in the end this can simply makes you happy (ier) as we know how much fun mountain biking is. !!! its all about fun, ego is secondary, when I race in these events my main competitor is myself.

otherwise we go through life, wish I did that, can't do that, too fricken old to do that whatever - no time etc. I have plenty of mates in that position.

I've got 3 kids, I commute and take in single track as training, if I can't get out for a ride I get on the rollers .... do it indoors, go night rides, whatever it takes to achieve my goal of 8-10 hours training a week.

Why do all this I hear you ask? Well our jobs are sedentary, a majority of Aussies are slobs and will probably enter the health system early due to lifestyle diseases like diabetes, heart disease etc. We have kids that look up to us as role models so we need to be examples of being fit and healthy both mentally and physically.

So really whatever makes you happy, I'll be smiling when I cross the line.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
We have kids that look up to us as role models so we need to be examples of being fit and healthy both mentally and physically.
Kids love being involved in things that are important to their parents/relatives/role models.

My nephew is 11 and I've taken him out on some MTB rides and he tries so hard to be good at it. He and I did the "winter loop" out at Lysterfield a few weeks back. It's about 15kms. It took us around 1hr 10mins. He didn't complain or ask to stop (we had some short breaks), he just battled away. I think sometimes we underestimate how much kids are willing to put in with the right encouragement.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
dunno about that...theres thing called diabetes so i moderate highly processed carbs & sugar.
cant ride with half a foot missing....well you can but its not ideal
If you burn the calories you intake ( or burn more) it doesn't matter what form your carbs (or energy intake) comes in there is no chance of developing type 2 diabetes if your fit and healthy.
Carbs don't cause type 2 diabeties. Being sedentary and overweight does. Another benefit of Mtbing

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a heads up there are plenty of walkers getting lost around the start/finish of hans near the bridge.
The yarra trail boardwalk is closed for works and the detour goes through hans.
Had a few peds walking up random trails oblivious to mtbs.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Jesus guys. I'm just saying we are all getting older. One day we wont be able to do it.

I believe you eat as much as you want. Then go and do something. If you dont do anything, youll get fat. Its simple. Mind you, i weigh in at around 102 kgs or so at 199cm. On some govt approved sites I am fat. But there you go.

Anyway. The short message go and do it, live while you can. Enjoy the ride on the weekend. I know I will.

al_

Likes Dirt
Looks like a tiger to me. They're usually angry fuckers.
Definitely a tiger. Healthy sized one too.

It was great to have a proper look at this one after running over a few and getting far too close to the last one. This guy wasn't remotely phased and just sat there sticking his tongue out.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Definitely a tiger. Healthy sized one too.

It was great to have a proper look at this one after running over a few and getting far too close to the last one. This guy wasn't remotely phased and just sat there sticking his tongue out.

It wasn't Yarra Trails but it sounds like this big red belly black who just laid there looking at me.
It's funny how instinct takes over. I had stopped the bike before I even realized there was a snake.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey PB. Great to see you haven't dropped off the planet!

@Al: Where was that? Is that before the big dip? If so I'm amazed, I've never seen anything in there, it has to be the driest, toughest part of the YT's! Tough going for a snake I imagine.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...and the snakes distracted me about the kangaroos. 6! That's incredible. I'm presuming that's a good sign?

I almost got cleaned up by a wallaby in the ST past Bourke and the gates one night right. Both wallaby and myself scared the pants off each other and reacted poorly almost running into each other. I was amazed there were wallabies in there, let alone the 6 you saw JD. Must be very peaceful in Brucies.