Yarra Trails regulars

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i would honestly think they would try and avoid you if your bashing about, moving dirt or cleaning trees, id be surprised if they'd approached you? i maybe wrong... ? most people getting bitten because they step on them walking along, not from the snake hunting people down.
Absolutely Yeah they won't come after you (unless provoked), the first thing they do ,99% of time, is bugger off. But what has happened to me lately is they won't move off the trail. Dunno if they are overfed, or weather has cooled off a bit etc. I have come skidding up with the chain slapping and they couldn't give a shit. Fair to say if you are stomping around in the bush they won't move either.. And that's the best way to get bitten!
O the igorant bliss of many years, hitting the trails having no idea of the vipers only 30cm away from my feet :)

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Hi burners. Keep an eye out for this section of trail on the banks of the eastern freeway next to Willsmere Park heading west towards chandler Hwy. People are straight lining between the trees for no good reason. I have put branches in there twice now and they have been moved. This section is nice and flowy and people are just going too fast to navigate the trees I suspect.
First photo shows the line appearing and the other is the trees I put inImageUploadedByTapatalk1454999159.251989.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454999176.103561.jpg

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Absolutely Yeah they won't come after you (unless provoked), the first thing they do ,99% of time, is bugger off. Fair to say if you are stomping around in the bush they won't move either.. And that's the best way to get bitten!
As a generalisation yes, except for Browns and juvies of almost any breed.

As for stomping around in the bush (which I commonly do for work), well actually they do move. The production of venom requires a huge energy input that they simply cant waste. Its also their protection from other predators.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a generalisation yes, except for Browns and juvies of almost any breed.
In fairness though, browns are still very timid in the grand scheme of dangerous creatures. Piss it off or find one in a bad mood then yeah they are defensive. Still very low odds of it actually 'going' after you though. Personal experience with them seems to back up the more timid than aggressive temperament.

As for stomping around in the bush (which I commonly do for work), well actually they do move.
Of course they do or snake bite cases would be astronomical. Dunno if you missed it my post, but I said the ones i have come across in the last few weeks (yarra) are behaving opposite than normal.. As in not moving.. Don't know why, it's seems odd..

Anyways saw a big ass wombat just before hans on the weekend. They move surprisingly quick!

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode a couple of laps of Hans today.. Fun, but very dry and sketchy in parts. Looks like it took a fair whack of traffic over the weekend as well.
20mm of rain would be perfect.

Last edited:

cogs19

Likes Bikes
I said the ones i have come across in the last few weeks (yarra) are behaving opposite than normal.. As in not moving.. Don't know why, it's seems odd..
I wrote it on the Snakes thread on the general board but may as well add it here too. Last night I stood on a tiger snake at the bottom of the stairs under JohnstonSt/Studley Park rd. I was carrying my bike so I couldn't see the ground immediately in front of me. I ended up standing right on top of the reasonably large snake. To me, that is acting strangely -
1. it didn't move as I approached (or not fast enough) &
2. it didn't bite me.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wrote it on the Snakes thread on the general board but may as well add it here too. Last night I stood on a tiger snake at the bottom of the stairs under JohnstonSt/Studley Park rd. I was carrying my bike so I couldn't see the ground immediately in front of me. I ended up standing right on top of the reasonably large snake. To me, that is acting strangely -
2. it didn't bite me.
Gee you are lucky there mate.. That's a close call.

I have seen some huge ones on there over the years..

Last edited:

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
2. it didn't bite me.
Hey Coggs. Mate that would of been the end of my ride. I ride that part of the trails all the time as my after work ride and the amount of snakes I see there is crazy for so inner city. I've had a few close calls there over the years, always Tigers. Sure I read once that Studley park has the biggest population of Tigers in Vic. Don't quote me on that. Have seen lots of Browns at Plenty gorge lately. It's a worry at times as a mainly solo rider

cogs19

Likes Bikes
ride that part of the trails all the time as my after work ride and the amount of snakes I see there is crazy for so inner city.
I used to live in Abbotsford and I used to walk/run that section a bit and never saw a snake, and always scoffed at the warning signs. In 6 or 7 years of riding Yarra trails I've only come across 1 snake before - a tiger near the freeway next to Green Acres golf course.

Funny thing is after trodding on the snake last night I hopped back on my bike and rode with no concerns. Since I've had a chance to think about it my nerves are now catching up with me. I wonder how I'll go next time out?!

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
A lot of it depends on the time of day you ride and temperature of the day as to how frequently you see them. That's what I've been finding across the whole network from abbotsford to Warrandyte. People seem to be posting more about them on social media and when I chat with them face to face this year though

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
A lot of it depends on the time of day you ride and temperature of the day as to how frequently you see them. That's what I've been finding across the whole network from abbotsford to Warrandyte. People seem to be posting more about them on social media and when I chat with them face to face this year though
my encounters have mainly been with copperheads & tiger snakes (se melb about 25km from abbotsford)...always:
a. mid late afternoon (2pm+) warm days (25+, sunny)
b. hanging around waterways, lagoons & the like (hunting frogs & similar?)

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a spin yesterday at 2:30 from Pipe bridge up to Bonds and back. No snakes. Must be JD, he's a snake whisperer...........

Although did see 2 creepy guys in Banskia...........

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kanes Bridge Temporary Closures

Yarra Bend bridge blocked

11 February 2016. Kanes Bridge in Yarra Bend Park will be closed temporarily for maintenance during March.

Closures are scheduled weekdays 9:00am to 12:00 noon and 1:00pm to 3:30pm from Monday 7 March to Friday 18 March 2016.

Closure times have been scheduled to minimise inconvenience to the public.

Route diversions will be in place during the works.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Anybody been for a swim in the river lately? Might be worth keeping your mouth closed...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/970247295dc064983c04005bfb48df9b
Interesting, but, apparently no worse than the bay after rain. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/w...est-beaches-for-swimming-20160106-gm0cj4.html, and which can be monitored at http://yarraandbay.vic.gov.au/beach-report

There are well documented spikes in E. Colli after rain events flushing contaminants into major water courses, including the bay. While much of this is pet shit (hands up all those who thought picking it up was both unreasonable and bureaucratic in the extreme), but then, there is the number of septics along river (yes from those expensive houses) that significantly is dominant in the primary cause http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...arra-is-so-sick/2005/01/21/1106110948142.html). Can be monitored at http://yarraandbay.vic.gov.au/yarra-watch

In all not a great situation but unfortunately the reality in many environments when personal choice and a sense of entitlement but not responsibility, prevails. I regularly kayak on sections of the Yarra, and have done for over 35+ years. None the less., and perhaps surprisingly, it is actually in much better shape now than then (but still not good enough).

EPA and Melb H2O have a river health programme running to either get rid of all septics, or get them updated in performance and monitored throughout the Yarra corridor.

Paddle upstream to the agricultural areas and you will see even more undesirable inputs,

I don't mean to be unkind, but not sure exactly what your take home message, or rather, suggested action to address this is.

If you are genuinely concerned, time to put that energy into making a change (attention grabbing headlines generally achieve squat).

It's clear we are responsible. If that is the message, then call the spade a bloody shovel, if not, well, "Might be worth keeping your mouth closed", as you say.

Last sentence, well for the life of me is what?

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Interesting, but, apparently no worse than the bay after rain. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/w...est-beaches-for-swimming-20160106-gm0cj4.html, and which can be monitored at http://yarraandbay.vic.gov.au/beach-report

There are well documented spikes in E. Colli after rain events flushing contaminants into major water courses, including the bay. While much of this is pet shit (hands up all those who thought picking it up was both unreasonable and bureaucratic in the extreme), but then, there is the number of septics along river (yes from those expensive houses) that significantly is dominant in the primary cause http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...arra-is-so-sick/2005/01/21/1106110948142.html). Can be monitored at http://yarraandbay.vic.gov.au/yarra-watch

In all not a great situation but unfortunately the reality in many environments when personal choice and a sense of entitlement but not responsibility, prevails. I regularly kayak on sections of the Yarra, and have done for over 35+ years. None the less., and perhaps surprisingly, it is actually in much better shape now than then (but still not good enough).

EPA and Melb H2O have a river health programme running to either get rid of all septics, or get them updated in performance and monitored throughout the Yarra corridor.

Paddle upstream to the agricultural areas and you will see even more undesirable inputs,

I don't mean to be unkind, but not sure exactly what your take home message, or rather, suggested action to address this is.

If you are genuinely concerned, time to put that energy into making a change (attention grabbing headlines generally achieve squat).

It's clear we are responsible. If that is the message, then call the spade a bloody shovel, if not, well, "Might be worth keeping your mouth closed", as you say.
What a rant Redbruce. Nothing wrong with bringing a Headline to public forum- why does Al need to be generally concerned , responsible or put his energy into solving the pollution issues of the Yarra.
You need to chill Bruce. Yes keeping your mouth shut is good advice if you swim in the Yarra

redbruce

Eats Squid
What a rant Redbruce. Nothing wrong with bringing a Headline to public forum- why does Al need to be generally concerned , responsible or put his energy into solving the pollution issues of the Yarra.
You need to chill Bruce. Yes keeping your mouth shut is good advice if you swim in the Yarra
A headline, is by definition already in the public forum, and because it is both a subjective and selective (perhaps intended, but let's give genuine social concern the benefit of doubt) presentation (ie. lacking in relative risk compared to well documented risks like swimming in the bay) of the facts for folk to consider, and a therefore a distortion of the real risks to be managed.

My point is, present the full story of such risks (E.Colli in bathing situations) if genuinely concerned. Otherwise, "keep your mouth shut" .

It's pretty clear you miss the opportunity to address the issue though action (you are a professional business management consultant - so who has responsibility and is the principal change agent in this).

For an educated person, I'm actually really, surprised at your response. Are you part of the solution, or part of the problem.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Because it is both subjective and a selective (perhaps intended) presentation (ie. lacking in relative risk compared to well documented risks like swimming in the bay)., and a distortion of the risks to be managed.

My point is, present the full story of such risks if genuinely concerned.

For an educated person, I'm actually really surprised at your response.
Oh take your hand off it Darrel

You are way too serious Redbruce. You have no idea of my level of education.

Al you must not post in this thread a link to an article you thought might be relevant without explaining ((ranting) about all facets of the issue and do so in a balanced and scientific way so as not to be subjective or selective in content and unintentially dismissive in tone.

Now that goes for the rest of you lot. Sorry for that RB - where is a moderator when needed. We might have to police this together mate

redbruce

Eats Squid
Oh take your hand off it Darrel

You are way too serious Redbruce. You have no idea of my level of education.

Al you must not post in this thread a link to an article you thought might be relevant without explaining ((ranting) about all facets of the issue and do so in a balanced and scientific way so as not to be subjective or selective in content and unintentially dismissive in tone.

Now that goes for the rest of you lot. Sorry for that RB - where is a moderator when needed. We might have to police this together mate
A rant, maybe in your mind. Darrel, what the feck, who on earth is Darrel?

Anyway, as you know, I know you are you are neither uneducated, nor an ignorant soul.

So, what do you surmise is the value, and recommended actions to be taken by folk from the post in question?

Panic, scream and shout about, take your kids to Port Phillip bay on a hot day, what exactly?

Last edited: