Yarra Trails regulars

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode Hans to Banksia St au will stop in time).
good report thanks, if I do go out my plan is to stay up off river on higher single tracks ... anywhere low lying like bruces loop, yarra flats just has to be too wet atm.

Staunch

Eats Squid
So you guys are the ones who've adopted the pump track?! This has me brimming with happiness, Excalibur. Couldn't figure out who'd been getting in & giving it a patch up when needed for the last 12mths or so. Would go by to do my regular rubbish collection & sweep, then come back with headlamp & shovel a few days later to find most of the buff work had been done in that time- you've ceased my puzzlement with your revelation. Bloody legends. A quiet beer might be in order.
A couple of mates and I have been doing a bit of work there since about 2010/2011, just patching/smoothing things out when they need a bit of love. It's a bit hard lately as nowdays we all have work and/or full time uni. To be completely honest though, I'm pretty sure someone else has been doing a bit too lately in the last year as we haven't been out as much as we'd like.

Have popped my head in on one of their events & chatted openly with them about the expectations of them using the area. To their credit a couple of the "organisers" were straight-up & positive to talk with i.e. seem to get that they need to be on there best behaviour not to fuck it up for everyone, nor give reason to piss PV off.
That sounds promising compared to when they rocked up and held a race while we were there one day. It's unfair to judge them all based on the actions of the minority, but there were a few dickheads who were acting completely out of line.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
It is very wet

Please consider the current state of the Yarra Trails. Let's give them a chance to recover

Staunch

Eats Squid
Went for a pedal round the streets today and saw our CX mates have made a new loop at T H Westfield reserve (Cnr Heidelburg Rd and Yarra Bend Rd) which has been fenced off in a few areas to stop its use.

On one hand I guess it's good that they're staying away from the actual trails, but they're still making a mess of everything which isn't too good for us in the overall.

Pumptrack is still way too wet to ride and yet it was full on tyremarks as per usual. Guess there's forever patching to do.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Hans to Banksia and the trails are in primo conditions, no mud, no real puddles (one or two tiny puddles in Westerfolds which will only wet the tread on your tyres), and huge grip. There was even some dust on certain sections of Hans. FYI: there are two trees down in the Somme which will require a dismount to get over, under.

If you are lucky enough to have today off work then get out there.

A question of those who have ridden in Yarra Bend Park recently: has the fence at the top of the climb / descent which runs between the riverside ST and the Boulie (in between Chandler and the pipe bridge) been removed? I was riding past on the Boulie last weekend and thought that I saw new fence work either side of the ST and the fence at the end gone, although I could be wrong.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Hi Big AC. They have put a new proper fence (not star pickets and wire) along the Boulie next to the paved bike path between chandler and pipe bridge. It hasn't affected any ST from what I saw. Just replaced the fence that was there.
The trails are mint atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode yesterday from Burke road back to Bruce's loop. Was all in great shape apart from the loop which needs another few days without rain to tidy it up. The inner loop however was in great shape.

The only section I saw coming out from beasleys Saturday was hole in the wall at the bottom near the river is fairly slippery nut this is standard for the time of the year and recovers well

wilier

Cannon Fodder
newbie to yarra trails and mtb - help!

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to mtb and to riding the yarra trails.

Can someone point me in the direction of etiquette etc and the use of these trails.

Thanks.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to mtb and to riding the yarra trails.

Can someone point me in the direction of etiquette etc and the use of these trails.

Thanks.
Welcome to the madhouse wilier.

There are no written rules about using the trails. Informally the etiquette is something like this:
  • If the trails are a sloppy mess then avoid them until they recover (Burke Rd to Banksia St is usually a bit of a disaster zone in winter);
  • If you are riding through a section a find a tree fallen across the trail, see if you can move it;
  • Be mindful of, and courteous to other trail users as we don’t own the trails. However, don’t be too courteous to single men wandering around near Annulus billabong or you’ll experience a whole different kind of trail riding;
  • If you are so inclined, then get involved is caring for the trails (this comment might start an e-stoush);
  • And of course, have fun riding the trails;

wilier

Cannon Fodder
Welcome to the madhouse wilier.

There are no written rules about using the trails. Informally the etiquette is something like this:
  • If the trails are a sloppy mess then avoid them until they recover (Burke Rd to Banksia St is usually a bit of a disaster zone in winter);
  • If you are riding through a section a find a tree fallen across the trail, see if you can move it;
  • Be mindful of, and courteous to other trail users as we don’t own the trails. However, don’t be too courteous to single men wandering around near Annulus billabong or you’ll experience a whole different kind of trail riding;
  • If you are so inclined, then get involved is caring for the trails (this comment might start an e-stoush);
  • And of course, have fun riding the trails;

Thanks.

I rode that section and noticed it was too wet. Can't wait for it to dry out.

I came across an old single guy wandering and quickly rode off once I realized what that was about!! Haven't they heard of the Internet!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode up to westerfolds from banksia yesterday on cx mainly bike paths with a dip into dry sections I know. all looking very green even lush along trails, if we didn't have this wet week trails would have been almost useable. not to worry as warmer weather is going to bring some beautiful riding.

its interesting how much fun you can still have without having to go single track, the dirt road through hans loop with killer kangaroo hopping descent comes to mind.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I rode up to westerfolds from banksia yesterday on cx mainly bike paths with a dip into dry sections I know. all looking very green even lush along trails, if we didn't have this wet week trails would have been almost useable. not to worry as warmer weather is going to bring some beautiful riding.

its interesting how much fun you can still have without having to go single track, the dirt road through hans loop with killer kangaroo hopping descent comes to mind.
it is very lush and green 101!

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Burke Rd to Studley Park on Saturday and most of the ST was fine:
  • From what I could see, Burke Rd billabong was stuffed (no surprise);
  • The ST along the freeway embankment was ok, no real puddles or quagmire;
  • Behind the dogs homes was ok;
  • The low lying ST just downstream of the Chandler bridge was most dry (couple of drying puddles – nothing major). Once you got up onto the rockier terrain slightly further downstream it was fine;
  • Pipe bridge to Bell Bird was damp in spots but no real puddles;
  • High side ST was fine;
  • Studley Park ST was mostly fine (the ST going under Studley Park Rd is wet);
The weather right now probably makes all of this irrelevant.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Rode Burke Rd to Studley Park on Saturday and most of the ST was fine:
  • From what I could see, Burke Rd billabong was stuffed (no surprise);
  • The ST along the freeway embankment was ok, no real puddles or quagmire;
  • Behind the dogs homes was ok;
  • The low lying ST just downstream of the Chandler bridge was most dry (couple of drying puddles – nothing major). Once you got up onto the rockier terrain slightly further downstream it was fine;
  • Pipe bridge to Bell Bird was damp in spots but no real puddles;
  • High side ST was fine;
  • Studley Park ST was mostly fine (the ST going under Studley Park Rd is wet);
The weather right now probably makes all of this irrelevant.
Walked Candlebark plantation area this afternoon and it and surrounding YT singletrack fubar.

Please avoid until a couple of days recovery (which area is good at) please.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bonds to Hans is all in good nick apart from the odd puddle.
Bonds to tennis courts needs more time to dry out.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
trail conditions

We only have had a 1mm or 2 over the past 24 hours but many of the trails are not doing very well. The ground is saturated in places with large puddles and bog holes. Many avoid the Yarra trails till Spring- just need to pick your sections to ride and avoid others. Others are cutting new lines around the puddles and holes and widening the trails.

Please consider the state of the trails when you ride at the moment as it will be a big clean up in Spring. Let's show key stakeholders like Parks and Banyule CC that we care, can be accountable and are responsible for these multi use tracks. They are keenly aware of the state of these trails.

Rode Heidelberg to Hans and back to Burke on Sunday.
Hans is absolutely fine- well done to the trail crew out there.
Westerfold ST is not great- just needs some drainage and holes filled.
Odyssey House loop is fine if not a little overgrown for the taller riders.
Bonds through the big dipper to the Golf course is not great with some large deep puddles.
Golf Course through the Somme to Heidelberg is completely trashed- suggest you avoid the lot. Even after some sunshine and a week without rain is still terrible.
Annulus is terrible and should be avoided
Bruce's Loop is shocking- only managed 1/4 around before turning back
Bruce's to Burke Road is not great- stick to the main trails

I believe the Western Yarra trails-boat house- higher sections are fine but lower river / flat lands are not good. Hats off the the individuals who maintain these trails- I have seen your efforts everywhere.

jakc

Likes Bikes
Best bits on YT / map

Recently been getting back into MTB. Usually mess about around westerfolds park/hans loop area but after traipsing through this thread, realise that there is a lot more to YT in other areas.

Prefer to not use my phone when out riding but is strava my best bet for a map?

Just got back from the UK and rode some really great free flowing singletrack with lots of berms, jumps and drops. Hoping to find some similar stuff along the YT? (YY and Lysty are amazing but more of a once a month at a weekend thing for me). I do understand that incorporating berms and jumps is likely not going to happen, especially closer to the city, but just wondering on the best spots along the YT other than Hans.

Big respect for whoever maintains the trails.