Yarra Trails regulars

Jpez

Down on the left!
Haha, yes I do. I'm guessing you know the name from ARCHeli?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. I thought there there might be more than one Kwikee in the world but then for some reason remembered you were a Melbourne boy. My handle was arcweld over there.
Maybe I'll see you out on the trail one day.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty shit out there folks, from Burke to Bonds.. High bits ok but the rest is slops. Stupid winter.. How's the southern parts coping?

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Burke to Bellbird yesterday.

Burke Rd billabong is sloppy as per usual for winter. The Wilsmere / freeway embankment ST is fine. Behind the dogs’ home is ok with some mud in the open flat areas. Chandler to Bellbird is relatively ok except for the low area just downstream of Chandler highway and a small section just downstream of the pipe bridge. The high side ST is fine. I’m guessing that studley park is still ok due to the rockier soil.

The Koonung ST is sloppy in the usual places.

The general grip level felt crap; however, I think it was a PSI issue, first run of the year on winter tyres – its time to put the RaRa away folks.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Good write up Big AC. I rode the same section today and it's improving with each day of sun and no rain. But any rain now and it's s sloppy mess on all the flats. Hans was hero tacky yesterday in spots.
Parks VIC contractors have blocked a small section between bonds and the Finns reserve bridge as part of their maintenance of the main Yarra bike trail ( removing bumps and firming up edges)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
I figure the Yarra trails will be washed out tomorrow. Does anyone know if Lysterfield will be okay?
I was up Lysty weekend before last after heavy rain and it was a mud bath nightmare. Some of the tracks were getting torn up pretty bad.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
with this constant rain yts will be wet for a while. I rode around the boathouse early in week, tracks drying up off the river. probably too wet now. onto roadie and cx this weekend

Big JD

Wheel size expert
the trails are struggling

Between Burke and Bonds is very wet. Recent work has helped but there is just too much water.

Please give it some thought before riding on wet and damaged trails

Parks have closed off a small section just after Bonds (that cuts a corner on the main path). Please respect this closure folks.

Nowhere's being spared- southern network's at saturation point too. Got out for a wander between the bat colony & the Chandler & she's a soggy one. Water's moving off well in a lot of sections, but a lake has formed along the trail between the pipebridge & the first rise (heading back towards the bat colony), likewise on the reverse side of that hill. Riverside trail on the western side of the Yarra, between Yarra Bend Golf Course & the Fairfield boathouse, is also a quagmire so I'd recommend avoiding that stretch altogether. Had to contain my annoyance at a couple of guys who were covered from arse to ear in mud, out on their CX bikes riding the trails yesterday. Clearly mustn't have got/been cut out to get their fill at Dirty Deeds. There really are people in this world that would benefit from a punch in the face.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw a guy on strava cx - he's the hells500 guy so you'd think he'd know better. anyway boasting about how muddy it was and how much fun he had on yarra trails.

maaaaaaate we don't have a club that runs maintenance, we have tenuous ninja access, lone-wolf maintenance at best and really use your common sense and try and preserve what you love doing.

here's an example of people who like to ride their knob roadies around in circles, they draw attention to our riding and thuck it up for everyone else.

now I like fun but ....
yarrabend.jpg

I saw a guy on strava cx - he's the hells500 guy so you'd think he'd know better. anyway boasting about how muddy it was and how much fun he had on yarra trails.

maaaaaaate we don't have a club that runs maintenance, we have tenuous ninja access, lone-wolf maintenance at best and really use your common sense and try and preserve what you love doing.

here's an example of people who like to ride their knob roadies around in circles, they draw attention to our riding and thuck it up for everyone else.

now I like fun but ....
View attachment 329620
Yeah, noticed a right bunch of ball-bagging wannabes have had a good go at pissing off PV by tearing up skinny-wheel laps of the Westfield Reserve area. It's the equivalent of a hot-headed mtber deciding to go & build a set of DJs in a highly visible & highly utilised public park. Sadly it would seem that commonsense is in drastically short supply, among that lot in particular... In fact, from experience I'd actually almost go so far as to say you'd be stretched to find a more indignant lot of users when out on the trails. Roadie attitudes coupled with the "I'll Ride Where I Want, When I Want" mentality are a very dangerous combo for the YTs. Not to say all CX riders are like that, but it's the ball-bags & blatant degradation of trails that CX bikes cause at this time of the year that set the tone. As you point out, it makes it very difficult for everyone else.